5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow brake controller

Dietz5285

Reaction score
The brake controller indicator shows the trailer brake percentage moving even when the trailer is not attached to the truck. Is this normal? If so, short of trying the controller while moving how do I know if it is working properly?

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...short of trying the controller while moving how do I know if it is working properly?
The wrong way would be to hook up the trailer, go flying down the road and discovering the brakes don't work when stoping for a train....

Outside of a tester used by dealers and repair shops, the best way to test the brake function is on a rural or unpopulated road. The owners manual (the real one, not the one that comes with the truck) walks you through the process of adjusting gain starting on page 412. If you don't have the manual, go to the "RESOURCES" tab at the top of page.

Deshatt

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing (shows braking when no trailer attached). I'm not a fan. I'm pretty sure my 2013 only showed the % when my trailer was hooked. up.

slimchance

Reaction score
i have a different sort of problem with the factory brake controller ... i read the 692 page manual about this setup and i can not get it to work the way i think it should ... when the TT is hooked up the controller seems to apply the brakes ok and the gain function also works .... BUT the dash display always says "light electric" ... i tried using the left/right arrow controls to change it the way the manual says to do but it stays on light trailer and this trailer is hardly "light"
this is what the manual says to do ...
"4. Push the UP or DOWN button on the steering wheel
until “TRAILER TOW” appears on the screen.
5. Push the RIGHT arrow on the steering wheel to enter
“TRAILER TOW”.
6. Push the UP or DOWN buttons until the Trailer Brake
Type appears on the screen.
7. Push the RIGHT arrow and then push the UP or DOWN
buttons until the proper Trailer Brake Type appears on
the screen."
is there some magic to doing this or is the controller faulty???

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On my HD the sequence you describe takes you to the gain and mileage.

To get to the brake type on the main screen go down to settings push right arrow, and go down to brake type, then select brake type with right arrow and then light electric, heavy electric show up.

I dont have a 5th Gen so I can not offer anymore help than that.

That said.. light electric is for trailers under 10000 lbs and heavy is for trailers over 10000lbs.

Hope this helps some how.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The first thing I always do after hitting the road with the trailer is to use the manual override on the brake control to see if I can feel the trailer braking. That tells me all the connections are correct

Rick3019

Reaction score
i have a different sort of problem with the factory brake controller ... i read the 692 page manual about this setup and i can not get it to work the way i think it should ... when the TT is hooked up the controller seems to apply the brakes ok and the gain function also works .... BUT the dash display always says "light electric" ... i tried using the left/right arrow controls to change it the way the manual says to do but it stays on light trailer and this trailer is hardly "light"
this is what the manual says to do ...
"4. Push the UP or DOWN button on the steering wheel
until “TRAILER TOW” appears on the screen.
5. Push the RIGHT arrow on the steering wheel to enter
“TRAILER TOW”.
6. Push the UP or DOWN buttons until the Trailer Brake
Type appears on the screen.
7. Push the RIGHT arrow and then push the UP or DOWN
buttons until the proper Trailer Brake Type appears on
the screen."
is there some magic to doing this or is the controller faulty???
My settings for brake controller ( light , heavy ) are in the radio settings I found it by accident

slimchance

Reaction score
The first thing I always do after hitting the road with the trailer is to use the manual override on the brake control to see if I can feel the trailer braking. That tells me all the connections are correct
me too ...
develdodge .."On my HD the sequence you describe takes you to the gain and mileage. " .. me too

develdodge .."To get to the brake type on the main screen go down to settings push right arrow, and go down to brake type, then select brake type with right arrow and then light electric, heavy electric show up. " .. ok will try that

Rick3019 ..My settings for brake controller ( light , heavy ) are in the radio settings I found it by accident .. i see you have Level 2 .. i am doing this on my trk (level 1 ... 8.4 wo/nav) .. not sure IF that makes a difference

i got to tell ya, the 692 page manual has not answered any of my questions so far for these trks ... glad this forum is here for help

Users who are viewing this thread