5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toppers that work with Ramboxes

revvr

Reaction score
I found a really good deal on a Ram Rebel, but the truck had Ramboxes which eliminates most of the compatibility with aftermarket toppers. Before I got the truck, I was already set with Softopper but now my plans might have to change.

Does anyone know of a good topper that works with Ramboxes? I prefer lightweight options that are easy to store as I would use this occasionally and it would not be on the truck most of the time. If it eliminates the functionality of Ramboxes while it is on the truck, that's OK.

Thanks!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There's an old thread on these, but the only ones I've seen that enable full use of RamBoxes involve some sort of lift, e.g.:

revvr

Reaction score
Thanks; I was trying to avoid the lift as it is both expensive and heavy. It is also cumbersome to use.

I might have to come up with something custom, but trying to avoid it.

CobraKai

Reaction score
I have the mopar soft tri fold one on my 2020 limited with ram boxes and multi function tailgate. it seems to serve its purpose so far, no issues, pretty easy to use.. I do find the tailgate doesn't pop down when i use the fob now it stays up from the cover, not sure if thats for all bed covers or this one. not a huge deal though..

revvr

Reaction score
I have the mopar soft tri fold one on my 2020 limited with ram boxes and multi function tailgate. it seems to serve its purpose so far, no issues, pretty easy to use.. I do find the tailgate doesn't pop down when i use the fob now it stays up from the cover, not sure if thats for all bed covers or this one. not a huge deal though..

But this is a tonneau cover, right? I was looking for something more similar to a hard topper for the bed, but soft.

Ecotanker

Reaction score
I just finished building brackets for mine. I am using u brackets in the tiedown rail and will be putting struts through with extensions for the topper. I will be able to raise them to get into the ram boxes

revvr

Reaction score
I just finished building brackets for mine. I am using u brackets in the tiedown rail and will be putting struts through with extensions for the topper. I will be able to raise them to get into the ram boxes
Do you have pictures or drawings? Sounds interesting!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Ecotanker

Reaction score
I am getting close to having it done. I finished the brackets and the struts. I then started on the rack for my kayaks. My plan was to be able to use the same struts and just swap out the hardware for the top vs. the kayak rack. I did get sidetracked as my wife wanted me to create a way for her to take her kayak by herself... Anyway, I will provide pics as I get those done. Eventually, I will paint the kayak rack when it is finished. Here are the first pictures of the U bracket attached to the rail system and also a strut configured for the kayak rack.
For the U brackets, I used strut nuts (1/2") that I ground down to fit in the rail system. I removed the springs as they were not necessary. I then fabricated from 1.5" aluminum flat bar a spacer for the front side between the U bracket and the rail for stand off and spreading the load. I also incorporated two washers between the aluminum bar and the U bracket to allow the strut to slide more freely. Bolt is 1/2". Strut is 1 5/8 by 1/5/8" approx 2 feet long. top of strut is set up for Kayak rack.
Strut attachement on U bracket.jpg U bracket on rail system.jpg

Ecotanker

Reaction score
Just took some photos of the kayak settup. The first set is in a single bed style rack. Same pieces used for the dual rack. I use four dolly wheels that are in alignment with the tracks on the bottom of the kayak to make it crazy easy to slide in and out. Tie downs are on the struts and it is rock solid. The second set is the above bed dual kayak rack that allows the tailgate to be closed. You can see that the Ram boxes are easily accessible. I am going to cut the ends down to make it shorter. Final step will be the painting. in bed single kayak rack wheels.jpg in bed single kayak rack side.jpg in bed single kayak rack.jpg Kayak with Ram box open.jpg kayak rack with tailgate open.jpg kayak rack without kayak.jpg dual rack low.jpg dual rack high.jpg

Mikey69

Reaction score
I know this feed ran dry a while back but does anyone have any updates on a Soft topper that mounts on the aluminum racks that come with the Rambox. I’ve built a custom rack that fits within the truck bed and doesn’t effect Rambox doors but I’m looking for a soft topper to fit inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panic

Reaction score
I found a really good deal on a Ram Rebel, but the truck had Ramboxes which eliminates most of the compatibility with aftermarket toppers. Before I got the truck, I was already set with Softopper but now my plans might have to change.

Does anyone know of a good topper that works with Ramboxes? I prefer lightweight options that are easy to store as I would use this occasionally and it would not be on the truck most of the time. If it eliminates the functionality of Ramboxes while it is on the truck, that's OK.

Thanks!
Check this:

NavyChief

Reaction score
You had mentioned you couldn’t find a truck without the boxes so you might see if someone would trade a standard bed and make some money to offset the standard cap purchase
I do like that Aussie cap though, it’s pretty cool.

Redline_Rebel

Reaction score
You had mentioned you couldn’t find a truck without the boxes so you might see if someone would trade a standard bed and make some money to offset the standard cap purchase
I do like that Aussie cap though, it’s pretty cool.
That price SUUUUUUUUUUUCKS! but it's freakin perfect!

Maritimer0021

Reaction score
As I sit and *patiently* wait for my truck to be delivered (ordered back in early March) I keep spending more and more money on the sweet mods you guys are doing.

And I keep thinking about this thread… and if there are any updates or rumors out there for a cap that supports ram boxes here in the states.

(And ideally not using EZLifts as a solution).

Anyone got anything? Rumors? Space in their carry-on to pick me up the Aussie version??

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ardern11037

Reaction score
Is this what you guys were referring to? I've got a softtopper on my rambox. Needed a softtopper to throw my dog back there but I absolutely love the ramboxes and use them 90% of the time

Attachments

• PXL_20230501_033303444.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20230501_033303444.NIGHT.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 130
  • PXL_20230501_033246278.jpg
    PXL_20230501_033246278.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 120

ardern11037

Reaction score
Is this what you guys were referring to? I've got a softtopper on my rambox. Needed a softtopper to throw my food back there but I absolutely love the ramboxes and use them 90% of the time
Ignore the bad job I did of Velcro down the sides. I open and close it from time to time and don't care

rxmedic75

Reaction score
Is this what you guys were referring to? I've got a softtopper on my rambox. Needed a softtopper to throw my dog back there but I absolutely love the ramboxes and use them 90% of the time
Where did you get your topper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online