5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top Hat Lift -Is it a 1 to 1 lift ratio?

Lawfin

Reaction score
I have a 5th Gen Big Horn Crew Cab with the Mopar 2” lift. I’m considering adding a top hat spacer to bring up the front. I’m thinking about the MaxTrac 1.5” Front Strut Spacer Part. No. 832515. My hope is that if I go with the 1.5” spacer, I won’t need new UCAs. And, I’m only interested in 1.5”, as any more will result in an inability to park my truck in my garage at work. My question is: Will a top hat spacer of 1.5” result in 1.5” of lift, or will it result in more or less? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you got the full mopar lift kit. It comes with diff UCAs. So you should be fine with more added. As for spacers they are in most cases pretty spot on with true lift.

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Top-hat spacers are not 1:1, but most (not all) manufacturers list the NET lift, not the height of the spacer. You might want to reach out to the manufacturer and ask if they can verify that their spacer does just that, and on a 2019. What I've seen is that spacers that are about 1 1/8" tall result in an actual lift of about 1.5"-1.6".

rsonedecker

Reaction score
The images of the spacer in question make the spacer look to be short enough, but their documentation indicates "it's a 1.5" spacer that produces 1.5" of lift" - that's what can be confusing. I bet it's not actually 1.5" tall. You could always pick it up and just measure it before you install just to be sure.

Lawfin

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everyone. This may seem like a stupid follow up question, but . . . Is it the thickness of the spacer or the lift it creates that has the potential to cause angles that may compromise the UCA ball joints?

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everyone. This may seem like a stupid follow up question, but . . . Is it the thickness of the spacer or the lift it creates that has the potential to cause angles that may compromise the UCA ball joints?

In theory both, since the thickness of the spacer creates the net lift that then in turn creates the angle problems. But that's just a smart a$$ remark from me because I know what you're getting at - it's the lift and the angles the lift creates that causes concern. The more lift, the more concern.

Last edited:

Lawfin

Reaction score
Ha! My question begged for a smart a$$ response! Thus the “stupid question” disclaimer. I appreciate your response. I have seen discussion on other forums (relating to other vehicles) about the lift being less than the thickness of the spacer. It looks as if that is not the case with the ram 1500s. Thanks again.

Ram1992

Reaction score
I have a 5th Gen Big Horn Crew Cab with the Mopar 2” lift. I’m considering adding a top hat spacer to bring up the front. I’m thinking about the MaxTrac 1.5” Front Strut Spacer Part. No. 832515. My hope is that if I go with the 1.5” spacer, I won’t need new UCAs. And, I’m only interested in 1.5”, as any more will result in an inability to park my truck in my garage at work. My question is: Will a top hat spacer of 1.5” result in 1.5” of lift, or will it result in more or less? Thanks in advance.

Did you end up installing that top hat spacer on the Mopar kit?

Users who are viewing this thread