5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Took truck in for WV state inspection today.

LeQuack1992

Reaction score
I took the RAM in for the state inspection since I am moving it from MD to WV and my shop told me that my front lower ball joints have a tiny bit of play. They gave the truck a clean bill of health overall, just that I need to keep an eye on the front lower ball joints and may need to replace by this time next year. So I was looking online but I cannot seem to find any replacement parts for the 2019. Any clue or is it a dealer only part for now?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It may be the case that you need to replace the entire control arm when ball joints are needed. I know some cars are like this, and when looking on rockauto.com that's mostly what I'm seeing. They do list one ball joint from the front lower but they're out of stock (see attached pic). I haven't needed to look into this yet so it would be great if you would update this thread if you figure anything out.

1703697287090.png

rsachek

Reaction score
Check out Moog part number K500286T005.

If this was the upper ball joint, I'd say that replacing the entire control arm is probably easier since they're so cheap, but the lower control arms are >$500 each for OEM.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Check out Moog part number K500286T005.

If this was the upper ball joint, I'd say that replacing the entire control arm is probably easier since they're so cheap, but the lower control arms are >$500 each for OEM.
Plenty of other choices besides OEM though. Most of them that I saw are well under $200.

LeQuack1992

Reaction score
I was able to find this part number of Partsgeek.com 146550-09307432. Says it fits the 19 ram 1500. I probably wont get to doing them until the spring anyway. The mechanic said the play was soo little that it should be fine till then. I just like to have the parts saved so when I need them I have a quick link to get them. I agree that if it were the uppers to just do the whole control arm. Ive done enough lowers ball joints between my old truck and family/ friends trucks that I have no issue doing it myself.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Took a close look at the lower ball joint when replacing the bearing hub.
It is crimped in, not just in couple places around the perimeter but all the way around, good luck pressing that out.

Lower balljoint.jpg

LeQuack1992

Reaction score
Took a close look at the lower ball joint when replacing the bearing hub.
It is crimped in, not just in couple places around the perimeter but all the way around, good luck pressing that out.

View attachment 173396
I will take a closer look at it ones the weather breaks. Its been non-stop rain the past few days. If it looks like a "PITA" I will probably just replace the entire lower control arm. But I'd like to try just the ball joints first.

Choate

Reaction score
That’s just so they can make you replace it next year or no registration for you!

Users who are viewing this thread