5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Took the Rebel Wheelin' This Weekend

Tommy R

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

So this past weekend I finally had chance to take the new truck camping. The destination was Big Bend Ranch State Park in west Texas....a little over 500 miles from my home in Austin. I traveled with some Jeep buddies (mine is torn down undergoing "one ton surgery"). My rig and my friend's JK with a super cool Ursa Minor camper setup....both shown in their natural habitat:
IMG_4349-X2.jpg

With an 80 mph speed limit and crazy crosswinds, we were both hovering in the 11-13 mpg range. :( I used 4-low a lot and actually came across some areas where I was legitimately glad I had a rear locker. But overall the trails weren't "hard", but they were narrow. I was concerned about paint damage, but best I can tell so far, it looks like it did okay. Glad I have white paint that hides imperfections!! So if you head that way, be mindful of the size of the trails. Jeeps fit nicely, but wider fullsize rigs are a different story. Here's some random pics of the trip and our campsites:
IMG_4341-X2.jpg

IMG_4347-XL.jpg

IMG_4354-XL.jpg

Airing down to 22f/20r definitely helped smooth out the ride over the washboarded roads. Next time I'll likely go down to 20/17 or so.
IMG_4357-XL.jpg

IMG_4361-XL.jpg

IMG_4363-XL.jpg

IMG_4368-XL.jpg

IMG_4370-XL.jpg

IMG_4375-XL.jpg

Airing up to drive home:
IMG_4380-XL.jpg

IMG_4381-XL.jpg

IMG_4383-XL.jpg

IMG_4386-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up and pics. I love the Bend Big area in Texas. I'm also in Austin. Actually, live in Leander which is a little north but work in Austin. I've never been to the Big Bend State Park, but I've been to the Big Bend National Park a bunch of times camping, hiking and backpacking. I need to go back.

Looks like everything worked as designed.

Thanks for the pics and the story

Looks like a good time for all

Cool pictures. What rack system is that?

Geaux Tigers! (LSU '03)

Great write up and pics. I love the Bend Big area in Texas. I'm also in Austin. Actually, live in Leander which is a little north but work in Austin. I've never been to the Big Bend State Park, but I've been to the Big Bend National Park a bunch of times camping, hiking and backpacking. I need to go back.

Thanks! My first house was in Leander (Block House Creek). Sold it in '07 to move to the NW side of Austin. :) The State Park is great for isolation, but I prefer the National Park, personally. More scenic and I think a bit more to do/see. The campsites are a little roomier, as well.

Cool pictures. What rack system is that?

Geaux Tigers! (LSU '03)

Thanks! It's by Tuff Stuff 4x4. Geaux Tigers! Class of '95 if it weren't obvious by my license plate. LOL

I like your buddy’s Jeep pop up roof. That’s really awesome.

Thanks! My first house was in Leander (Block House Creek). Sold it in '07 to move to the NW side of Austin. :) The State Park is great for isolation, but I prefer the National Park, personally. More scenic and I think a bit more to do/see. The campsites are a little roomier, as well.

Thanks! It's by Tuff Stuff 4x4. Geaux Tigers! Class of '95 if it weren't obvious by my license plate. LOL

Geaux Tigers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back