5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Took her across the CAT scale...

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow! Ram really shaved a lot of weight compared to prior generations! Took my truck across the scale and got 5,420 lbs. in stock condition. I'm not sure what the -20 lbs in the trailer weight section is for. Glitch maybe?

Still, not bad for a fully optioned full size diesel truck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200303-193331_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200303-193331_Drive.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_20200303-103349_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20200303-103349_Messages.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 106

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Now you have me curious, I'll hunt one of those scales down to see what mine weights.

HST

Reaction score
I thought it would be heavier .

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! Ram really shaved a lot of weight compared to prior generations! Took my truck across the scale and got 5,420 lbs. in stock condition. I'm not sure what the -20 lbs in the trailer weight section is for. Glitch maybe?

Still, not bad for a fully optioned full size diesel truck.
Now check your door jamb to see the truck’s certified weight and let us know how close you got.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now check your door jamb to see the truck’s certified weight and let us know how close you got.

That's where it gets interesting. As TFL noted on their YouTube channel while reviewing the JL Wrangler EcoDiesel, the door jamb stickers seem to be off. I've never seen this before on any of the dozens of vehicles I've had, but I thought their discovery with the JL Wrangler was interesting and now my Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is the same way.

GVWR on my truck is 7,200 lbs. Payload is shown at 1,645 lbs. That should give me a curb weight of 5,555 lbs. But, my truck with a half-tank of diesel, 7/8 tank of DEF, small amount of personal belongings inside, and no occupants went 5,420 lbs. on a certified scale.

It's only a 135 lb. difference, but at 10% of trailer weight on the tongue, 135 lbs. can equate to 1,350 lbs. of towing in some conditions, so it's not insignificant.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's where it gets interesting. As TFL noted on their YouTube channel while reviewing the JL Wrangler EcoDiesel, the door jamb stickers seem to be off. I've never seen this before on any of the dozens of vehicles I've had, but I thought their discovery with the JL Wrangler was interesting and now my Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is the same way.

GVWR on my truck is 7,200 lbs. Payload is shown at 1,645 lbs. That should give me a curb weight of 5,555 lbs. But, my truck with a half-tank of diesel, 7/8 tank of DEF, small amount of personal belongings inside, and no occupants went 5,420 lbs. on a certified scale.

It's only a 135 lb. difference, but at 10% of trailer weight on the tongue, 135 lbs. can equate to 1,350 lbs. of towing in some conditions, so it's not insignificant.
I’m not the expert on this that @devildodge is, but I think the weight of one occupant may be included. In (very) old threads, I believe we discovered that the door jambs are very accurate (as they are required to be) with correct calculations.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The payload figure does not include the weight of driver or passenger.

BUT...IT DOES include for full fluids.

So missing a half a tank of fuel and an 1/8 of a tank of DEF. That is probably all of your 135 lb difference.

Very awesome that you took the truck to the CAT scale.

But in order to find your base weight for trailering numbers.

No passengers or cargo. Full fluids...gas, oil, antifreeze, DEF, windshield washer fluid, etc.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

So missing a half a tank of fuel and an 1/8 of a tank of DEF. That is probably all of your 135 lb difference.

No passengers or cargo. Full fluids...gas, oil, antifreeze, DEF, windshield washer fluid, etc.
Thanks for the clarification!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yep, so a half tank of diesel would go 85 lbs, and throw in 15-20 lbs. of DEF and there's 100 lbs. already. So that gets me pretty close to the door jamb placard.

I remember my '04 Quad Cab 4.7L V8 4x4 going 5,600 lbs. on the scales, so to have a larger crew cab with a heavier engine still come in well below that is impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread