5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Took an angle grinder to my bumper

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
My Xmas project was to add some more clearance to the front of the truck. I’ve already scraped it a few times.

I didn’t like any of the aftermarket bumpers available for the truck. I also didn’t like the added weight they bring since I’ve already added like 500 pounds to the truck and it’s starting to sag. I have the ORP springs in the garage waiting to be added to my updated Mopar lift to help compensate for the extra weight.

I plasti dipped the bumper since I had 3 cans in the garage already. But I will do a black vinyl wrap on it later. I will probably relocate the rear parking sensors and cut that bumper too along with relocating the exhaust tips.

I haven’t cleaned off all the plasti dip yet since it still has to cure for a few more hours.

61418025-8BBA-480C-9D89-E297E5FC74E6.jpeg
8D9D5D78-3F2D-48DC-9F8C-87C641F70236.jpeg
667F42E4-AA0E-4012-AFAB-0EDFEFC86B00.jpeg

Last edited:
R

Rob5589

I knew I should have posted this in the off road section.

Let me know when you add chrome valve stem caps to your forum signature. I can’t wait.
Would be nice to see an aftermarket bumper that doesn't look like some Mad Max nonsense. Unfortunately, that angular, Brodozer crap is all the rage atm.

R

Rob5589

Jeez, I just asked a question. Cause it looks like $hit, kind of like you hacked up a brand new truck with an angle grinder, that’s all.
Some people buy their 4x4 to use, some like to parade them around town with shiny rims and Armor All. The Ram has horrible (non existent) approach angle and the stupid looking aftermarket bumpers do not help that issue. It's a truck and should be used as such. YMMV...

Reactions: sgk

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread already has an unpleasant, unwelcome, smart-a$$ tone, not good IMO.
5thgenrams is more of a friendly, respectful, helpful forum compared to everything else out there on the internet. Lets all try to keep it that way.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Jeez, I just asked a question. Cause it looks like $hit, kind of like you hacked up a brand new truck with an angle grinder, that’s all.
While I understand and appreciate OPs reason for his mod - this response is pretty damn funny :ROFLMAO:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some people buy their 4x4 to use, some like to parade them around town with shiny rims and Armor All. The Ram has horrible (non existent) approach angle and the stupid looking aftermarket bumpers do not help that issue. It's a truck and should be used as such. YMMV...

Whats the point of a good approach angle if you still have a crappy departure angle? Pickup's by design have a poor departure angle because of the long rear overhang.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
This thread already has an unpleasant, unwelcome, smart-a$$ tone, not good IMO.
5thgenrams is more of a friendly, respectful, helpful forum compared to everything else out there on the internet. Lets all try to keep it that way.
I agree. Being a new guy here - my first impressions were how cordial, helpful, mature and (generally) respectful members are...

People get passionate about their opinions though - and things happen... I actually think his comment was kinda sophisticated slam. I've seen far worse on other forums.

R

Rob5589

Whats the point of a good approach angle if you still have a crappy departure angle? Pickup's by design have a poor departure angle because of the long rear overhang.
Yeah, also an issue with such a long vehicle.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

I was already scrapping front and back pretty equally. As stated in the OP, I will be working the rear bumper next. Every little bit helps with the departure angle being so poor.

Last edited:

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I’ll think of you had a some steel tube bent to
Follow the bottom contour of the bumper and painted to match, it’d be a great mod

Users who are viewing this thread