5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too Much Oil

Kenny4

Reaction score
I brought my Ram in to a local dealership for the first oil change. The truck sat on the rack for almost an hour with the oil still in it, while the guy rotated the tires and did their " 19 point " check up etc.. Then at the end he opened the drain plug let most oil run out quickly and put the plug back in. Then according to the invoice, he pumped 7 1/2 quarts of oil into it. I just checked the level and it is way above the full line. I've driven off and on for a week now. Do you think any damage could have occurred? Thanks

Kenny4

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Half a quart should be no issue, most dealers overfill by about 1/4 quart. How much over is it? Remember that the low and high marks are about 1-quart just to give you an idea on how much you are over.

Also, on the dipstick, it angles in, so you will have a high and low reading side. The low reading side is the accurate one.

If you confirm it's over, take it back and make them drain it and next time I would do it myself. This is the reason why I do my own oil changes, I was tired of paying people to screw it up, overfilling is the most common mistake they make.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Almost every "complimentary free oil change" I've received when buying a new car has come with an extra quart of oil and a drain plug that's been hammered on with an extra ugga dugga or two from the impact gun. They put the greenhorns in the oil change department.

I had to laugh at my salesman when he said my trade-in would be worth more if it had dealership maintenance records. I doubt the mouth breather with a cell phone in one hand and a doughnut in the other cares about my ride more than I do.

Kenny4

Reaction score
Half a quart should be no issue, most dealers overfill by about 1/4 quart. How much over is it? Remember that the low and high marks are about 1-quart just to give you an idea on how much you are over.

Also, on the dipstick, it angles in, so you will have a high and low reading side. The low reading side is the accurate one.

If you confirm it's over, take it back and make them drain it and next time I would do it myself. This is the reason why I do my own oil changes, I was tired of paying people to screw it up, overfilling is the most common mistake they make.
I agree with changing it yourself. I usually pull the plug and let it drain for hours if I can, just to get as much old out as I can. I'll check it again on both sides of the stick, but it seems the hash marked side should be correct. Makes me nervous about my daughters car. She has a new Cherokee and at the same dealer, her invoice said 5 quarts, but I'm almost sure it takes 6. She lives away so I never checked hers. May mean they didn't change the filter, hope not.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I brought my Ram in to a local dealership for the first oil change. The truck sat on the rack for almost an hour with the oil still in it, while the guy rotated the tires and did their " 19 point " check up etc.. Then at the end he opened the drain plug let most oil run out quickly and put the plug back in. Then according to the invoice, he pumped 7 1/2 quarts of oil into it. I just checked the level and it is way above the full line. I've driven off and on for a week now. Do you think any damage could have occurred? Thanks

Kenny4
What I'm wondering is why you didn't check the oil level before you left the lot if you saw that they didn't drain all the old oil out, then added 7.5 qts? At this point you really have no idea how much oil is in the crankcase. Let it sit for a while and check the level. If it's over-full, drain some out until it's at the full mark.

I always change my own oil. That way I'm sure it's done right, and not in and out of the bay as fast as possible.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I agree with changing it yourself. I usually pull the plug and let it drain for hours if I can, just to get as much old out as I can. I'll check it again on both sides of the stick, but it seems the hash marked side should be correct. Makes me nervous about my daughters car. She has a new Cherokee and at the same dealer, her invoice said 5 quarts, but I'm almost sure it takes 6. She lives away so I never checked hers. May mean they didn't change the filter, hope not.

Gotcha, I like using the has marked side too, I'll just orient the stick to go in that way. What I was referring to about a "high" and "low" side is that the dip stick on our trucks goes in at an angle, instead of straight/vertical.

This means that one side of the stick shows a higher level than the other side due to it's angle into the pan. The accurate side is whichever shows a lower level, which can be either side of the stick depending on how you oriented it when you stuck it back inside.

Duran

Reaction score
I had two bad occurances at the dealer.

The first was after my oil change , I took it home, about a 30 mile drive then did my regular work week., after a couple of days i noticed a spot in my drive way exactly in the middle of where i part, I get under my truck and check the drain plug and it not even hand tight, Im surprised it didnt fall out on the freeway. tightened it back up and called my dealer and chewed them out.

The second was of course another oil change, FYI i got free oil changes and rotations in the package, So after my oil change i checked the drain plug andit was goodso again do my work week and out of no where i decide to check my oil low and behold it was over filled. Drained it and called and spoke to the manager

Now if i go for anythin i let them see me checking my trcuk top to bottom and check it before i sign off

Kenny4

Reaction score
I had two bad occurances at the dealer.

The first was after my oil change , I took it home, about a 30 mile drive then did my regular work week., after a couple of days i noticed a spot in my drive way exactly in the middle of where i part, I get under my truck and check the drain plug and it not even hand tight, Im surprised it didnt fall out on the freeway. tightened it back up and called my dealer and chewed them out.

The second was of course another oil change, FYI i got free oil changes and rotations in the package, So after my oil change i checked the drain plug andit was goodso again do my work week and out of no where i decide to check my oil low and behold it was over filled. Drained it and called and spoke to the manager

Now if i go for anythin i let them see me checking my trcuk top to bottom and check it before i sign off
That's good to know. I should have been more diligent when I saw 7.5 quarts. It should have been a red flag for me. I'm old enough to know you need to double check things yourself. Very seldom you'll find anyone taking an interest in your stuff at the level you would yourself.

Last edited:

Kenny4

Reaction score
Have another question. The oil monitor when it is reset to 100%, is that the oil quality or quantity. Thanks

Kenny4

Duran

Reaction score
That's good to know. I should have been more diligent when I saw 7.5 quarts. It should have been a red flag for me. I'm old enough to know you need to double check things yourself. Very seldom you'll find anyone taking an interest in your stuff at the level you would yourself.
Just glad im the kinda dude who goes under my vehicles often

Kenny4

Reaction score
I thought the invoice said 7.5 but it was 7.85, almost 8 quarts. I got under it and removed 3/4 of a quart and that brought it to the correct level. So that's that, thanks for everyone's input.

Kenny4

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I thought the invoice said 7.5 but it was 7.85, almost 8 quarts. I got under it and removed 3/4 of a quart and that brought it to the correct level. So that's that, thanks for everyone's input.

Kenny4

That's good you took care of it. I wonder if they charged you for that extra quart of oil you didn't need?

This is why DIY :)

BigDave

Reaction score
Have another question. The oil monitor when it is reset to 100%, is that the oil quality or quantity. Thanks

Kenny4
that percentage is a measure of time. If you change oil everytime it gets to zero, you'll be within manuf. spec... but I've gotten to changing it no later than 80%, just to be sure I didn't become the cause of a lifter or cam lobe failure. :)

Users who are viewing this thread