5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much for a half ton truck?

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a "half ton towable travel trailer" within the next year. We're going to get a 2 seater side by side to store in it. Question is, do the numbers add up for my trucks configuration? the attached images are the weight ratings for my particular truck along with the specs of the trailer im looking at. Im curious as to your thoughts.

Attachments

• tow capacity.jpg
    tow capacity.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 254
  • trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 254

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have 250 lb left in the truck for gear and passengers, so?
You also have leeway in the weight you are capable of towing, but overall you will be at or over on payload. Are you a seasoned tower or a newbie?

JbVt

Reaction score
Not enough payload capacity by the time you add gear in truck, gear in camper, people in truck you’ll be way over.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This comes up all the time. Guys become fixated on the GTW number and don't realize that payload capacity is the thing they'll run out of far before they run out of towing capacity.

The Ram 1500 I just traded in was well optioned but still had a payload rating of 1,645 lbs. I'd suggest looking for a truck that has a lot more payload than 1,100 lbs.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What wxman said.

Skip some options on that limited.. the heavy items are 33 gallon tank, split tailgate, and the ram boxes (they are the heaviest by far).

My limited Ecodiesel (heavier than a Hemi) has 1317lbs of payload and it has the 33 gallon tank, sunroof, etc.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Way too much for that truck. Would suggest dropping pano roof, ram box and split tailgate. That might get you into the 1300lb range and allow two passengers in addition to the trailer tongue weight, but nothing else. Lighter trailer AND less optioned truck is in order to stay legal.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes a 10,000 lb GVWR trailer is too much for your truck.

How much passenger weight will you have in the truck?

For reference our payload is 1380 lbs.

My family is 460 lbs, plus 100 lbs WDH plus about 800 lbs of tongue weight (loaded @ 6,500 lbs) our truck is maxed out.

With only 1169 lbs payload, I think you’ll have to stick to a significantly smaller travel trailer than your looking at, in the 5,000-6,000 lbs GVWR range depending on your passenger weight.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So far everyone has been thumbs down. All I will say is that truck yellow stickers vary a lot, my 19' 4x limited with pano had #1476, which would help you out. By far a 2500 gasser 6.4 would give you lotsa' truck and some growing room but many don't want the heavier/stiffer daily driver, unless it won't be a DD. If it won't then really consider the 2500, just not diesel as the engine robs you of a lot of the 2500's payload advantage.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Well, I have the truck, not the trailer. Not going to get rid of the truck but might be able to find a different way to have a travel trailer and a side by side with me. Next truck will be a 2500 or 3500, but that wont be for a long while.

I sort of feared this might be a bit much, which is why i asked here. I have towed a lot in the past, but dont want to start out asking for trouble, especially when a lot of its towing will be in the Colorado Rockies. Thanks guys, ill keep looking.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Well, I have the truck, not the trailer. Not going to get rid of the truck but might be able to find a different way to have a travel trailer and a side by side with me. Next truck will be a 2500 or 3500, but that wont be for a long while.

I sort of feared this might be a bit much, which is why i asked here. I have towed a lot in the past, but dont want to start out asking for trouble, especially when a lot of its towing will be in the Colorado Rockies. Thanks guys, ill keep looking.
If you had said anything except mountains I'd have told you that with an excellent (not just adequate) WDH with sway control, proper E rated tires and lower highway speeds you "might" get by, however the proverbial icing on the she-it cake was the word "mountains". Somehow I didn'r see your screen name until just now, duhh.

Marshfly

Reaction score
You need a 2500 for that trailer. That's the reality. Realistically, you will not find a toy hauler that will keep you under your payload loaded. Just not going to happen

Marshfly

Reaction score
Your Limited will never be worth more than it is now. If you plan to eventually go 2500/3500, I'd look seriously into trading or selling to upgrade now.
100% . You will probably get every dollar you paid for it.

I traded my 18 month old 2019 3500 Longhorn with 33k in March and got $1500 less than I paid for it. For a $70k purchase price. That's insane.

onit43

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to trailering and hadn't owned a truck since 2006. With my new 2021 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 and five equipment groups, 33 gallon tank, and multi-function tailgate I'm certainI will not be able yo tow no more than 6,000. However, I've watched multiple videos and read many calculations on towing capacity and determined I might be able to tow a 25 ft. trailer with a GVWR at 8,100. Any disagreement?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Its payload, not the trailer weight (to a point). You will run out of payload long before you run out of GCVWR.
Where you tow (flat vs mts) and if you can fill fresh water and propane close to or at your destination will also make a difference. Then a good quality WDH with sway control (those are not cheap) will give you the ability to tow more comfortably.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to trailering and hadn't owned a truck since 2006. With my new 2021 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 and five equipment groups, 33 gallon tank, and multi-function tailgate I'm certainI will not be able yo tow no more than 6,000. However, I've watched multiple videos and read many calculations on towing capacity and determined I might be able to tow a 25 ft. trailer with a GVWR at 8,100. Any disagreement?

12% of 8100lbs is 972lbs. Find your payload on the yellow sticker, subtract 1072 lbs for tongue weight and average WD hitch weight and see what you have left. Whatever is leftover is for the weight of all of your passengers and anything you put in the bed, can of the truck, glovebox, centre console and any accessories/upgrades you added to the truck. I can tell you my Rebel with my 7600lb trailer and my family of four, with nothing in the bed and all extras in the trailer puts me about 50lbs below GVWR. My payload is 1,444lbs, YMMV.

onit43

Reaction score
Its payload, not the trailer weight (to a point). You will run out of payload long before you run out of GCVWR.
Where you tow (flat vs mts) and if you can fill fresh water and propane close to or at your destination will also make a difference. Then a good quality WDH with sway control (those are not cheap) will give you the ability to tow more comfortably.
My GCWR (17,000 lbs) minus GVWR (7,100 lbs) minus TRAILER (8,100) will allow for PAYLOAD (1,800 lbs). Trailer I'm eyeing has a GVWR at 7,600 lbs and 600 lb tongue weight. That seem right to you?

Users who are viewing this thread