5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonnopro Hard Trifold Tonneau

RJS

Reaction score
After much study I decided to try a Tonnopro Hard fold tonneau on my new 19 Laramie Sport. It's aluminum covered with a vinyl skin. Purchased from Carid $459 +tax delivered in two days, free shipping. Installation went just like most of them, fairly easily and I don't see any light around the perimeter. One thing I like is a rubber flap that covers the front of the bed below the tonneau. Model HF-259
I also like the vinyl cover that hides scratches and dents.
The blue tape was used to hold the rubber flap so it didn't fold unto the front of the bed. I forgot to pull them off before the picture. Thunderstorm was coming and I didn't need hail damage to a new truck.
2019 Ram3.jpg

taz2016

Reaction score
I have the same cover. Mine appears to be about 1.5" too short. Even though it is the one they recommend it says for 5'5" bed on the box. Our beds are 5'7" long. When I fit it properly to the front of the bed the rear seal does not reach to the top of the tailgate. When I properly fit it to the tailgate the front seal misses the front of the bed and the rubber flap sets on top of the front of the bed instead of going down the front.
I contacted the company and was told to send pictures. I did and their suggestion was to move the front clamps further to the front and split the difference between the front and back when mounting it. Now part of the front gasket rests on the front of the bed and part of the rear gasket sets on top of the tailgate. It obviously wasn't designed for our 5'7" beds but fits well enough and the leaks are minimal enough that I have decided to keep it. On that note I have noticed pictures of other covers that barely reach the tailgate leading me to believe Tonnopro is not the only manufacturer selling covers designed for 5'5" beds for our 5'7" beds. It has caused slight gouges in the plastic covers on each side of the bed near the hinges. Also be aware that the clamps which appear to be similar to ones used by some other manufacturers are very flimsy.
Even with all that I like the general design of the cover and the extra security over a fabric only cover and believe it is worth the mid $400 range these can be bought for. Hopefully at some point they will lengthen these to fit properly.

RJS

Reaction score
Thanks taz2016 for sharing your observations. I thought it looked like the back of the tonneau was close to the front edge of the tailgate last night but I left it as rain was starting. This morning I went back outside and did some measuring. The rear seal on the tonneau was 3/4" from making full contact with the tailgate in the upright position so I adjusted it back that amount.

Thoughts, the rear seal now bears fully on the tailgate and looking underneath at the front seal seems to still be on the front of the bed. It's hard to be completely sure as I have a bedliner so I can't see where the front of the truck bed is in relation to the seal. After I readjusted the whole setup it looks like this.

Distance moved
IMG_20190821_110509.jpg

Front of bed showing rubber flap on the tonneau
IMG_20190821_110518.jpg

rubber front seal under tonneau
IMG_20190821_105445.jpg IMG_20190821_105507.jpg

Rear of tonneau to tailgate pix
IMG_20190821_110534.jpg

Whether it's good/bad/indifferent I'll see after the first hard rain but I wanted to post these shots for others to consider when they are choosing a tonneau.

I agree with your comment on the rear hardware as they appear to be all plastic like about all the rest but the front clamps are aluminum with plastic threaded pieces to provide pressure on them.

Again, thanks for pointing this out.

RJS

Reaction score
Further update, I decided because of the previous discussion on fit to take the truck through the local carwash. When I opened the tailgate I could only find a couple of drops of water near the tailgate on the bottom of the bedliner. It took on less water at the tailgate than my previous 14 Sport with the ARE Z cap. I'll chalk that up to the bedliner possibly closing the gap up around the tailgate.

A couple of shots of the front corners of the box. They also show the front clamping system. So far, so good.

Attachments

• IMG_20190822_112823.jpg
    IMG_20190822_112823.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

retho78

Reaction score
I have the same one on my truck and do agree it's a little short and had to do minor adjustments to make it work. The tailgate end of the cover was not flat all the way so I moved the clamps about 2 inches back and it is much better now. The screws are self tapping so just remove them and adjust the bars and install it back. BTW I got it for $375 with free shipping through Advance Auto after using coupon and rewards credit I had in my account.

retho78

Reaction score
One thing I did notice after having it for couple weeks the plastic on the inside of cover where the folds are were leaving scratch marks on the top of the rail caps/liner so I added a little padding on all sides of the plastic pieces.

taz2016

Reaction score
I'm not sure anything has been changed based on your link. When I ordered mine it was marketed for a 5'7" bed but arrived in a box listing the length as 5'5", and was obviously too short.
Mine still looks and functions adequately but I probably won't have ordered it knowing how short it was.

mcp6530

Reaction score
After much study I decided to try a Tonnopro Hard fold tonneau on my new 19 Laramie Sport. It's aluminum covered with a vinyl skin. Purchased from Carid $459 +tax delivered in two days, free shipping. Installation went just like most of them, fairly easily and I don't see any light around the perimeter. One thing I like is a rubber flap that covers the front of the bed below the tonneau. Model HF-259
I also like the vinyl cover that hides scratches and dents.
The blue tape was used to hold the rubber flap so it didn't fold unto the front of the bed. I forgot to pull them off before the picture. Thunderstorm was coming and I didn't need hail damage to a new truck.
View attachment 34036
do you still like your tonno pro cover? thinking of buying one....
I'm not sure anything has been changed based on your link. When I ordered mine it was marketed for a 5'7" bed but arrived in a box listing the length as 5'5", and was obviously too short.
Mine still looks and functions adequately but I probably won't have ordered it knowing how short it was.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got mine ...
rXlCOgll.jpg

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quick review. Drove through a heavy down pour for a good 20mins at 55-60mph yesterday. It kept everything in the bed nice and dry.

Users who are viewing this thread