5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau with Bed Utility Group rails?

Kevin C

Reaction score
For those of you who have the Bed Utility Group and installed a tonneau cover, did you have to remove the rails first? I just ordered a Bakflip MX4, and they told me that the BUG rails would have to be removed before installing the tonneau cover. When I watch the installation videos, it seems like I should have plenty of room before reaching the rails. I guess it's not a huge deal to remove them, but I do like the extra tie down points the provide. Am I missing something?

Combee1

Reaction score
I am very interested in the answer to this question as well. More so, I would like to know if there are any bed covers that are not just combatible with, but actually use the BUG rails for installation?

19_Limited

Reaction score
I am very interested in the answer to this question as well. More so, I would like to know if there are any bed covers that are not just combatible with, but actually use the BUG rails for installation?

I have a 2019 limited with ramboxes and bed utility group/rails, I had no issue Installing my weathertech bed cover. I did have to remove them (couple of bolts) to apply weatherstripping/proofing behind the rails then simply reinstalled them. Whole install took about 30 mins total. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin C

Reaction score
I have a 2019 limited with ramboxes and bed utility group/rails, I had no issue Installing my weathertech bed cover. I did have to remove them (couple of bolts) to apply weatherstripping/proofing behind the rails then simply reinstalled them. Whole install took about 30 mins total. Hope this helps

I'm assuming it may be a little different with the Rambox, but good to hear you didn't have any issues. Like I said in my original post, it seems as though there would be plenty of space. I'm hoping the retailer was just wrong. Thanks again.

Trones

Reaction score
With my non rambox longhorn with the BUG, I didn't have to remove anything for my undercover armor flex. Its essentially the same cover. My only concern was the clamping surface is the plastic bed rail cap instead of steel but it's been a non-issue.

geotex1

Reaction score
OP, hope you ordered the right cover! There is ZERO reason to remove the BUG rails for any folding tonneau, even a Paragon, with a fleetside bed. Only RAMBOX beds have issues with the BUG rails and some tonneaus.

Kevin C

Reaction score
Well, I installed the MX4 today and the BUG rails were not an issue at all. No idea why BakFlip thinks it won't work.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you who have the Bed Utility Group and installed a tonneau cover, did you have to remove the rails first? I just ordered a Bakflip MX4, and they told me that the BUG rails would have to be removed before installing the tonneau cover. When I watch the installation videos, it seems like I should have plenty of room before reaching the rails. I guess it's not a huge deal to remove them, but I do like the extra tie down points the provide. Am I missing something?
I have the factory tri fold with BUG and can’t see why they would need to be removed. Plenty of clearance. I also have the bed divider rails and it appears that there is still ample room.

Last edited:

Helish1

Reaction score
That’s good to here you don’t have to remove them to install the cover. Anybody know if you can install the divider with cover as well?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s good to here you don’t have to remove them to install the cover. Anybody know if you can install the divider with cover as well?
I believe there were a few guys that posted that they had a hard tri fold with the divider.

Helish1

Reaction score
I believe there were a few guys that posted that they had a hard tri fold with the divider.
Thinking about picking up the parts just want to make sure they work with each other. Thanks.

bdcramer1

Reaction score
Anyone running the Extang Trifecta with the Bed Utility Group? If so, how about the bed divider?

hydrant328

Reaction score
I have a BUG on a 5'7 bed. I don't see where the tie down rails would be an issue, they sit at least 4+ inches below the actual bed rails. My concern is the 2 large angle braces in the front of the bed. Did anyone have issues with these?

Jblakeney

Reaction score
I have a BUG on a 5'7 bed. I don't see where the tie down rails would be an issue, they sit at least 4+ inches below the actual bed rails. My concern is the 2 large angle braces in the front of the bed. Did anyone have issues with these?
Trying to install mine now and took those brackets off but the top liner is cut back and then the metal is too long for the bakflip brackets. Tried all those rubber shims but having a B word of a time...

Users who are viewing this thread