5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau for Rambox

The2ndlife

Reaction score
Can anyone share a nice tonneau for rambox with weather/ waterproof?
Was thinking to get diamondback covers, but they said their product for rambox isn’t waterproof... so here I am looking for an alternative... please also shre pictures if you don’t mind..

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Retrax One is supposed to launch for RamBox equipped 2019s next week.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It may be hard to find a tonneau that claims to be waterproof. I have read about folks who report completely dry beds, and they’ve usually spent a little time carefully testing, observing, and adding sealing tape in specific places wherever water might enter.

By design I might expect the tonneaus that sit taller, and have a ramp along the edges to slide the water off, would move water away more quickly preventing it from pooling up... but the flatter ones look better IMO and any of them might still let a little water in.

I decided to accept that there will be a bit of water draining in the bed now and then, but you might have more stringent requirements. Keep us posted what you learn! (y)

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You may have seen we’re already discussing cold weather tonneau performance over here while I search for a tonneau as well... and I need it for Rambox too. I’m looking at Truxedo Sentry CT currently, though not done researching.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I won't say it 100 percent waterproof but Bak makes the MX4 model for Ramboxes..i had one ordered at one point until I switched trucks. The also list the Revolver series as having a rambox compatible model.

I'd suggest calling Morris at Tonneau Factory outlet and talk it over with him. He's pretty knowledgeable and will talk your ear off.

https://www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.com

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just ordered the Sentry CT so I’ll be reporting on it on the other thread after installation and a few weeks of testing.

Foxman

Reaction score
I won't say it 100 percent waterproof but Bak makes the MX4 model for Ramboxes..i had one ordered at one point until I switched trucks. The also list the Revolver series as having a rambox compatible model.

I'd suggest calling Morris at Tonneau Factory outlet and talk it over with him. He's pretty knowledgeable and will talk your ear off.

https://www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.com

Guys, I second @202snowman's vote for Mauri. I just got off the phone with him ordering a Revolver X4 for my truck. Couple of thoughts for you guys to consider:

! was considering the Retrax MX and the Revolver X4.

What made my decision was:
Revolver takes up less bed space, no drain tubes necessary on the Revolver,

A little concerned about durability of the fabric cover on the Revolver and certainly would not dispute that the Retrax will likely outlast the Revolver. However, I never keep a truck more than about 3 years.

Mauri gave me a smokin deal on the Revolver X4. They should ship out late this week or next week if his rep is correct.

And yes...he can talk your ear off but he is very friendly and knowledgeable. It was a pleasure working with him.

The2ndlife

Reaction score
It may be hard to find a tonneau that claims to be waterproof. I have read about folks who report completely dry beds, and they’ve usually spent a little time carefully testing, observing, and adding sealing tape in specific places wherever water might enter.

By design I might expect the tonneaus that sit taller, and have a ramp along the edges to slide the water off, would move water away more quickly preventing it from pooling up... but the flatter ones look better IMO and any of them might still let a little water in.

I decided to accept that there will be a bit of water draining in the bed now and then, but you might have more stringent requirements. Keep us posted what you learn! (y)
Thanks for the good info. I don’t have any stringent requirements, but I thought it would be just nicer to have... I’ll share what I cane up with later in this thread... Thanks again

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Called bak industry Friday, they said the Rambox mx4 is still not shipping and would not give me a date when it would.

TimG

Reaction score
I had a Bakflip G2 on my 17 2500 with Ramboxes, and I have one on order for my 19 from Morrie. I cant say that its completely waterproof, but its extremely water resistant! When driving down the road, I never got a drop in the bed from rain/snow. Parked in the rain, or in the carwash, it had the inevitable leaks around the corners near the tailgate. Definitely not enough to ruin anything that I had in a gym bag or suitcase or whatever.
I also like it because it operated great in -20 to -40 degree weather here in the great frozen north. My Ramboxes also opened smoothly when the cover was closed with no issues to the side seals.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Read this: https://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=242286

Guy said no water in his bed with Rambox Diamondback. I think the trick is to caulk the gap between cargo rail and bedside.

First 3 pics are from that thread. The last 2 found on Google.

I believe what Adrian said. Diamondback is at least honest enough to caution about water entry.

2019-01-05 00_09_08-Window.png

2019-01-05 00_09_51-Window.png

2019-01-05 00_10_16-Window.png

14167607998_b21fbcf972_b.jpg

29086708395_a7b3ae599a_b.jpg

The2ndlife

Reaction score
Read this: https://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=242286

Guy said no water in his bed with Rambox Diamondback. I think the trick is to caulk the gap between cargo rail and bedside.

First 3 pics are from that thread. The last 2 found on Google.

I believe what Adrian said. Diamondback is at least honest enough to caution about water entry.

View attachment 12726

View attachment 12727

View attachment 12728

View attachment 12724

View attachment 12725
I bought a diamondback cover for my truck with Rambox.. and its been couple weeks... the new cover has little bit of change in design as to they added neoprene tube on the shims against the wall to prevent any water coming in... From my experience, and I took it to the car wash and noticed water comes in from the side of the wall. I'm thinking about buying some more neoprene strips and stick that in between the bed rails and the truck wall... will let you know how it works... (personally I don't like to add any adhesives or silicons on the truck bed...)

AF_VET

Reaction score
I bought a diamondback cover for my truck with Rambox.. and its been couple weeks... the new cover has little bit of change in design as to they added neoprene tube on the shims against the wall to prevent any water coming in... From my experience, and I took it to the car wash and noticed water comes in from the side of the wall. I'm thinking about buying some more neoprene strips and stick that in between the bed rails and the truck wall... will let you know how it works... (personally I don't like to add any adhesives or silicons on the truck bed...)
Were you able to get the truck bed water proof with the added neoprene strips?

The2ndlife

Reaction score
Were you able to get the truck bed water proof with the added neoprene strips?
nope not yet. I've been kinda lazy with my truck with the cold weathers recently... I'll update here when I'm done.

vvgrovervv

Reaction score
does anybody have a website or connection to get a bed cover a a good price. I want a BAK G2 or MX4 or a Gator. just a hard folding cover that folds all the way up against the back window for full access to the bed if needed. Everywhere i look i cant find them under $900. I would take the factory one also and i see it listed for about $740 but then they want another 200 for shipping.
I have 2019 (new style) 5'7'' bed with Ramboxes.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Folks, I have to pass on my experience with Morrie at TonneauFactoryOutlet and James at BAK. I ordered a BAKFlip MX4 from Morrie after seeing the great reviews on this forum. Morrie gave me a good price and cover got to me in about half the time forecasted. We all have heard of the difficulties with the rail system on the short bed with Rambox. My truck has the silver rails and I was really struggling to get the cover rails to attach. I decided to call Morrie for advice. He contacted James at BAK (while I was on the phone) and they decided I needed different cover rails. They were shipped immediately and received in 3 days. The cover with new rails fits great. It's got some leaking around the tailgate but I expected it to. I can't begin to describe how refreshing it is to deal with people who truly care about their customers. I can't say TFO is the least expensive as I never shopped anywhere else but, I feel like I got a pretty good price. I can say their customer service is the absolute BEST! Thank you Morrie and James for restoring my faith that there are business out there who still give a ****!

Have never used them, but you can call them to see what they offer

vvgrovervv

Reaction score
Have never used them, but you can call them to see what they offer
i looked on their site and they want more for the Bak cover than the Mopar one. From what i can tell they are the same cover just with different label.

pitboss000

Reaction score
does anybody have a website or connection to get a bed cover a a good price. I want a BAK G2 or MX4 or a Gator. just a hard folding cover that folds all the way up against the back window for full access to the bed if needed. Everywhere i look i cant find them under $900. I would take the factory one also and i see it listed for about $740 but then they want another 200 for shipping.
I have 2019 (new style) 5'7'' bed with Ramboxes.

Go to your owners or dealers website and download the 15% off coupon. Order the factory one from the dealer. Shipping is free. $765 OTD.

Users who are viewing this thread