5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Covers that work with Ramboxes and Multi-Functional Tailgate

joshj84

Reaction score
Just curious on what works with these setups without modifications?

What if the bed has the utility package? (rails and cleats)

HydroRebel

Reaction score
You're probably already aware that with Ramboxes your Tonneau choices are slimmer and than MFT limits that even further. I don't have the MFT but I do have Ramboxes and the Bakflip MX4 is what I went with. That cover works with the MFT as well and allows you to keep the bed utility rails. The Bak rails actually slide on top of the utility rails which makes for a nice firm install. I originally wanted a Roll n Lock but that cover requires removing the utility rails which I wasn't willing to do. I'm very happy with the MX4. Bak's QC has been questionable the last few years but I will certainly recommend the MX4 solely based on the one that I received.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Actually - anything that works with rambox's will work - MFT or not - because the bed is different, and the brackets do not interfere (like they do with a non-rambox).

But MAKE SURE any cover you look at is RAMBOX SPECIFIC.

Rick

joshj84

Reaction score
You're probably already aware that with Ramboxes your Tonneau choices are slimmer and than MFT limits that even further. I don't have the MFT but I do have Ramboxes and the Bakflip MX4 is what I went with. That cover works with the MFT as well and allows you to keep the bed utility rails. The Bak rails actually slide on top of the utility rails which makes for a nice firm install. I originally wanted a Roll n Lock but that cover requires removing the utility rails which I wasn't willing to do. I'm very happy with the MX4. Bak's QC has been questionable the last few years but I will certainly recommend the MX4 solely based on the one that I received.
how is the wear on it? I had a bakflip tri fold before on my 3500 and the finish started coming off within a year. How has yours held up?

HydroRebel

Reaction score
how is the wear on it? I had a bakflip tri fold before on my 3500 and the finish started coming off within a year. How has yours held up?
I had a Bakflip F1 on my last truck and I hated it. The quality was very poor and I thought about throwing it away and getting a different one but that would've been a complete waste of money. I was hesitant to buy another cover from Bak so I took a gamble (in my mind) when I bought the MX4 for this truck. I've only had my new truck for about 2 1/2 months so the cover hasn't had much use yet. So far no issues. It was easy to install, it's easy to operate (the panels feel light) and no quality issues. Very happy with the cover and happy to recommend it based on the one I received. If I have issues later on I'll certainly report back.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
Lomax 20201024_205119.jpg
i watched a YouTube video of a guy who used it on his ram with multi function gate & said that though the manufacturer do not recommend it, it worked just fine on his.

Jasond78

Reaction score
I have a 2020 crew with ramboxes, been looking for a cover since September. I decided to go with the BAK Revolver x4. It's a hybrid,hard cover that rolls up.
We had terrible luck with the canister type covers, don't really like the section flip types but needed the security of a rigid cover so i tried the Revolver.
I went to their sales page direct on Cyber Monday and was able to do a chat and negotiate it down to around $850.00, free shipping
I've never installed a tonneau before but The install was amazingly easy with the factory rails that come on the truck.
Slid in the left and right main rails, installed bulkhead gasket, rolled the cover out, adjusted the cover to ride Parallel and tightened it down. It might have taken an hour and i wasn't rushing..i did spray a little simple green on the right rail too make it slide on the factory rail easier. I did have to loosen the driver side factory ram rail and lift it about 1/8 to make the cover rails level.
The ramboxes create a pocket behind the tail lights and that pocket is still exposed after the rails are installed. I don't know if any of the covers out there have molded a wing to the end of the rail just to cover this pocket but Bak included a bunch of weather strips that you can cut and stack to fill the gaps as you see fit. They don't tell you what all the strips are for in the instructions but I'm glad they included them. I had to double up in some areas to fill the hole completely.
When it's all said and done the cover is ultra low pro and a dull matte. It matches the plastic on the truck well. You can open the ramboxes at any point of openness with this cover. You can roll the cover from just 1 side of the truck, you don't have to go back and forth. It takes about 10 seconds to release at the rear ,roll up and click the straps to secure for driving while rolled up.
Can't speak on the durability, i just installed it last week. It seems plenty beefy and there really aren't many parts to fail... Hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread