5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Covers in Short Supply?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
not the SE, but the HD, which is the same style as the SE, but stronger.
I looked at the 270, but, for me, I don't think it would make that much difference having 2 smaller panels versus 1 larger panel at the front. Also, they had the HD that fits my truck in the outlet store for over $400 less than a 270. If they'd had the 270 on discount I'm sure I would have went with it.
My mistake on HD vs SE. I had been looking at the stock in the outlet store for the 5' 7" bed and they had an SE and 270. The SE sold and I did a quick assumption. The 270 is still available for $1819. I like the 270 design but I prefer the smooth look over the diamond pattern which isn't available for the 270 (DiamonndBack just started with smooth finish on HD and SE) and also think the 1600 lb. rating for the HD will come in handy versus the 400 lb. rating for the 270 cover. Not sure if I want to install the cleats "yet", as I like the clean look and still have my 2001 Dodge 1500 SLT for the dirty/heavy work.
I've been kicking around what I want (probably smooth HD, cleats not installed for now) and talking to Jordan at DiamondBack it appears a 7 week wait.
The "non essential" shutdown screwed up production like many manufacturing companies.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered a LEER cap from the Factory Outlet Store. They said they are running about 6 weeks.
This should still be about 2-3 weeks before I get my 2021 Laramie. When I go south for the
Holidays, I can run past their store to have it Installed. Saved about $800 over the Local dealer's
price with shipping added.

ARE caps are also taking about 9-10 weeks right now. So everyone is behind in production right now.

Malodave

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I ordered a LEER cap from the Factory Outlet Store. They said they are running about 6 weeks.
This should still be about 2-3 weeks before I get my 2021 Laramie. When I go south for the
Holidays, I can run past their store to have it Installed. Saved about $800 over the Local dealer's
price with shipping added.

ARE caps are also taking about 9-10 weeks right now. So everyone is behind in production right now.

Malodave
What cap, options and total spent if you dont mind me asking?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What cap, options and total spent if you dont mind me asking?
Model 122 for a 2021 RAM w/6'-4" Bed, large Side Slider Windoors,
Painted Diamond Black Crystal Pearl, and Headliner, Installed at Factory.

$2700.70 Local was quoting $3500

Malodave

rnoggle

Reaction score
I prefer the smooth look over the diamond pattern which isn't available for the 270 (DiamonndBack just started with smooth finish on HD and SE) and also think the 1600 lb. rating for the HD will come in handy versus the 400 lb. rating for the 270 cover. Not sure if I want to install the cleats "yet", as I like the clean look and still have my 2001 Dodge 1500 SLT for the dirty/heavy work.

Yeah, mine is the smooth version. But the cleats are already installed. And the higher weight rating will be useful!

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I found a vendor that had them in stock. Ordered one last night - it shipped this morning. ETA is Tuesday. I called to cancel the order I had with the first vendor. The lady I talked to was shocked I found one.

Me too!
Just out of curiosity where did you order from originally? Realtruck.com?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

fxdrider

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity where did you order from originally? Realtruck.com?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
No, it was AutoAccessoriesGarage.com. Found them in stock at AmericanTrucks.com.

jeffrey5679

Reaction score
I’ve been waiting since sep 29th. I haven’t canceled because I got it for 849 shipped at tonneaucovers.com

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered a Truxedo Lo Pro on 10/19 from truckalterations and it was delivered 3 days later.

ak_andy

Reaction score
I had this same problem when ordering my Bakflip G2 in September. I didn't get an email for shipping so I contacted them and they told me there was a 3 week lead time... I patiently waited and I'm glad I did, couldn't be happier.

fxdrider

Reaction score
Mine arrived at 5:45 yesterday(Monday) afternoon, after ordering it on Thursday evening.
Was installed by 6:35. Sure beats November 10th!

IMG_3219_LI.jpg

ddang66224

Reaction score
Lomax Stance Ordered from TruckAlterations on Saturday the 17th, delivered on Friday the 23rd. Great communication up until the payment was made. Never did get a shipping confirmation from them, but the box was drop shipped directly from the manufacturer. Fits great. Need to get some pics up.

rnoggle

Reaction score
My Diamondback HD was shipped today!! Should be here early next week, maybe!

SJC5

Reaction score
Lomax Stance Ordered from TruckAlterations on Saturday the 17th, delivered on Friday the 23rd. Great communication up until the payment was made. Never did get a shipping confirmation from them, but the box was drop shipped directly from the manufacturer. Fits great. Need to get some pics up.
Please post how you like it. I am looking at this or the Undercover Armor Flex. What concerned me about the Lomax Stance is the need to attach the piece to the roof of the truck to attach the braces too. Is it a magnet? Any concerns with the paint? Can you easily remove them?

ddang66224

Reaction score
It's only been a few days since it has been on. But being here in the Midwest we have gone the spectrum in weather: 60's, snow, freezing rain, etc.

Installation:
  • Really easy installation for one person. Even with my redos (see below) it took about 35 minutes.
  • I have the RamBox so I had to remove the rails to add the weather strip foam.
  • The tabs that slide into the OEM rails that the lomax rails attach to have to be secured and tightened before the Lomax rails go on so extra attention to those will help with fitment and avoiding rework. I fitted loosely and attached the lomax rails and had to redo it. Then tightened down and had shifted about 1/16" and had to redo that as there is not much room to play with for the rails and brackets to line up.
  • The mounts on the top of the car are pretty solid. Magnetic and double sided tape. Clean the area with the wipes, align and secure.
The major problem I have is the weather seal around the tailgate. I know that will be tough, but I don't like the look and the weather strip isn't wide enough to cover the entire gap.

Use:
  • Light weight panels are easy to flip and lock in place.
  • Might have some concerns about the elastic straps in long run, but for now work really well.
  • To go vertical you have to hop in the bed and attach to the points secured to the roof. Installation was easy as it is a combination of magnet and double sided tape, probably a 3m product. Clean the area and align.
  • I went back and adjusted the attachment bars on the cover itself rather than trying to get everything to line up on the roof.
  • Connections seem solid and a test drive did not cause any concerns with the cover in the vertical position.
  • Down, the cover is rock solid and looks great with the low profile.
Durability:
  • It's rated for 400 lbs evenly distributed. I had my two kids who are < 100lbs a piece lay down on the closed cover to test it held well. As soon as they tried to get up and shifted weight I just picked them up. Lots of flexing that I was not comfortable with.
Overall:
  • Fit and finish is great.
  • Water is pretty much kept out except for around the tailgate.
  • I was worried about ramboxes dumping water back in when opened. So far, the bed is as dry as can be.
  • Secure and you can shut either the tonneau or the tailgate first, alleviating any concerns about having to remember order.

Let me know if anyone wants additional pictures. They aren't the greatest, but it is cold outside and the truck is dirty.
  • tempImageB6TLXm.jpg tempImage3ouXMB.jpg tempImagedkc4os.jpg tempImageu4V9GQ.jpg

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ordered a BakFlip MX4 cover last Tuesday (10/17), and the merchants website said it would ship between 10/19-10/21. Well 10/21 was yesterday and when I didn't get a shipping notice, I called customer service to ask if they had any idea when it would ship. The woman I spoke with let me know that the manufacturers of many of the covers were a bit behind, and she'd tried to get a more definitive timeline for me. About 2 hours later I got an email from another customer service person stating that "due to high demand, BakFlip production is taking longer than usual. Your order is currently expected to ship no later than November 10." I was a bit surprised. That's quite an update. Oh well, I'll deal with it. I don't think I have much choice, as I looked at other vendors and even other manufacturers and they all seem to have a somewhat delayed shipping schedule for covers.
I just hope the order doesn't updated again to an even later date.

That's not a very long wait ;) I ordered a fridge in Aug earliest shipping date is Feb 2021

Users who are viewing this thread