5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Covers and Bed Liners

SS_1980

Reaction score
Hi All,

New owner for RAM1500 Laramie.

Need suggestions for -
(1) Tonneau Covers and
(2) Bed Liners

Places you suggest to have them installed other than the dealers ?
I am in Austin, TX.

Thanks in advance.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Best of luck with your decision, lot of options,

No compilation with bed liners.
It seems many are happy with spray on and a bed mat. Spray in alone is tough on knees.
Others like their bed rugs.
Less inclined to drop in these days, I believe to vibration and paint scraping.
Option on the drop in:

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got a Dual Liner in my Laramie, and I’m extremely happy with it. It comes in four separate pieces (two sides, bulkhead, tailgate, and floor), so it’s easy to ship and install.

The floor mat is thick rubber, while the rest are plastic like a drop in. The rubber prevents things from sliding, and it’s not “gritty” or abrasive like a spray in. Dimples under the mat allow water to escape.

When I wash my truck, I’ll run water under the mat, just to get rid of dirt that might have found its way there, partially roll up the mat to let things dry, then roll the mat back into place. Super easy.

It is made in the USA by a Wisconsin company (not sure if it’s made in America’s Dairyland or elsewhere), which you may view as a plus.

I like mine, and would recommend it. Enough so I contemplating deleting the spray in bed liner for my new truck on order and getting another one.

Johnny5

Reaction score
I just ordered the tyger t1 tonneau. Seemed to have alot of good reviews. I'm looking at either the bed rug or dual liner for the bed. Might be leaning towards the dual liner now since jimothy confirmed my doubts things slipping. I went with the t1 instead of the t3 cause it has adjustment screws up front instead of it being preset. If it leaks any there's a thread on here with guys who have done some good work with tailgate seals. The tonneau should be in today so I'll post an update after installing...

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To be clear, it’s not that things in the bed can’t slip at all, of course. But the rubber mat is a lot more slip resistant than a full plastic drop-in.

I put a couple of plastic crates in my bed for mundane things like groceries, and they generally stay put.

Last edited:

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
How’s this for a bed mat or I should say carpet...bought it a Home Depot for maybe $50. Does a great job of keeping things from sliding around while at the same time protects against scratches. I’ve thought of a spray in liner but I could think several other things I could do for $600.

Attachments

• 60AC3228-37E1-4508-B7B3-82DE2C35ACEF.jpeg
    60AC3228-37E1-4508-B7B3-82DE2C35ACEF.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 36

Johnny5

Reaction score
@jimothy I'm sure things would still slip with the way I drive anyways but if it prevents. But if does a decent job at preventing it I'll take it.

@dlrsavannah I actually have a blue one of those still rolled up in the plastic sitting in the garage. I've been waiting to see what I'll do with it since my garage will not be available anytime soon from the project's I haven't finished.

I was looking at the bed dividers too but I don't want to pay 300 for rails and another 300 for a single divider.

Spendo81

Reaction score
I'm looking for a tonneau cover and have my eyes set on the Retrax XR Pro. I like that it's aluminum and has the slots for racks. Has anyone used this before or have other suggestions? Thanks!

Johnny5

Reaction score
I'm looking for a tonneau cover and have my eyes set on the Retrax XR Pro. I like that it's aluminum and has the slots for racks. Has anyone used this before or have other suggestions? Thanks!
I just looked at em and they seem pretty steep. Unless it comes with the rails? I'm sure there's other similar options for probably half the price of 2k. Are you looking for something to fit with the racks that are mounted low or high? I guess if you like the low racks then retractable is probably the only thing that's work. But if it doesn't matter if they're low then anything that's doesn't cover the stake pockets should work.

sep1006

Reaction score
I was between the Retrax Pro and the Roll and Lock. Decided on the 2nd with aluminum as I have had them on my 2 previous trucks with no issues.

IMG_1334.jpg

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just looked at em and they seem pretty steep. Unless it comes with the rails? I'm sure there's other similar options for probably half the price of 2k. Are you looking for something to fit with the racks that are mounted low or high? I guess if you like the low racks then retractable is probably the only thing that's work. But if it doesn't matter if they're low then anything that's doesn't cover the stake pockets should work.
They’re not inexpensive, that’s true. But if you’re seeing half the price, I wonder if your comparing plastic/polycarbonate to aluminum. Retractable covers like Retrax are available in both version. With Retrax, aluminum is about an additional $500. The XR rails add about $100. So the least expensive version is around $1300, while the most expensive is around$1900 (actually, you can add another $700 for electric).

Anyway, I don’t know of a retractable aluminum cover for half the price, but if there is one, I’d take a look at it.

Johnny5

Reaction score
I just did a quick search and found possibly 2 other options if you're interested. The Patriot Stealth LT and Gator Recoil. I believe they were aluminum. There may be more out there but that was just a quick search. I usually find what I want then look at other variations/brands and check reviews to narrow it down then just find the cheapest price. I'm not sure if the availability of some tonneaus but it seems like shipping has been a problem so Amazon might be the best place for price/shipping possibly. Hope this helps

Bang_bang94

Reaction score
I just got line-x sprayed into my 21 and I love it plus the warranty with line-x is insane. Ended up going with a rough country low profile tonneau but they are currently backordered and it won’t ship till the 20th

Attachments

• 8CB84BF2-42C1-4399-BAFF-2CA21C9C6CD1.jpeg
    8CB84BF2-42C1-4399-BAFF-2CA21C9C6CD1.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 17

JP_Night18

Reaction score
Cant go wrong with spray in bed liners. I have the Rhino and no issues on my end. Looks great , feels great, but I do agree its tough on the knees.
As far as t cover, I have efx tri fold hard top. If I run my truck type down on realtruck dot com, it shows its not available for the 5'7 bed anymore. . probably a newer model out now.

Attachments

• IMG_6434.jpg
    IMG_6434.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6432.jpg
    IMG_6432.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 6E5C21.jpg
    6E5C21.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 25

Spendo81

Reaction score
I want the low mounted racks and aluminum for the cover. Retrax was the only brand I've found so far with both the rails and aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread