5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover

Spirito2

Reaction score
So my bed cover just ripped off my truck while driving down the highway truck is 3 weeks old and I haven't open the cover at all it sheared the screws right off the clips

MattF

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Was it a factory cover?

Matt

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean, I'll be the first one to ask.... How fast were you goin?!?!?!? lol

Damn that sucks man, hope it didn't hurt you or anyone else on the highway, that's sketchy!

Spirito2

Reaction score
I mean, I'll be the first one to ask.... How fast were you goin?!?!?!? lol

Damn that sucks man, hope it didn't hurt you or anyone else on the highway, that's sketchy!
70 luckily everyone was far enough back and I was able to turn around and go get it so I cant take it to the dealer it bent the bed in every spot it clipped in... I had some windows up cuz of the spring like weather we are having in Jersey dunno if that changed the aerodynamics enough to lift it

Joker4L

Reaction score
that happened to me once on my 2014 Ram 1500 Sport. I took it straight to the dealer and fought it and got me a brand new cover

DeanKing

Reaction score
WTF. That's not supposed to happen. Good thing there wasn't someone on a motorcycle behind you. Was it opened in the back or something? Can you even do that with a trifold?

Spirito2

Reaction score
WTF. That's not supposed to happen. Good thing there wasn't someone on a motorcycle behind you. Was it opened in the back or something? Can you even do that with a trifold?
WASN'T OPEN IT WAS ONLY 3 WEEKS OLD I HADN'T REALLY TOUCHED SINCE I BOUGHT IT

DeanKing

Reaction score
That is just messed up. I wonder if the screws were bad or some were missing in the first place. I’m installing my own so I know it’s done right.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is just messed up. I wonder if the screws were bad or some were missing in the first place. I’m installing my own so I know it’s done right.
The soft fold isn't attached to the truck... that's the problem. They apparently switched the clamps to plastic from metal and if you leave them where the factory sets them, the cover flaps like an eagle wing over 60mph. God forbid you get a cross wind... then it's Russian Roulette!

I've posted where I think the clamps work best and when my new windshield arrives in 2023, I'm going to order another 2 clamps if I can.

One other thought I had was to permanently attach the two back bumper tabs to the box... less movement but makes removal a bit more of a chore. But considering other covers don't remove at all, it might be the right answer.

To be continued...

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow that is scary. Might want to add some safety straps at the front of the cover that attached to the tie downs in the bed.

Spirito2

Reaction score
I'm just starting my battle with FCA my service advisor they advised her for me to go back to my dealer cuz it was there fault the didn't inspect it

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. It is a bad design on the tonneau cover. Supposedly my new cover will be in soon. They tell me they are going to take care of the cover and the small scratch I got when it Happened

RamF2021

Reaction score
This just happened to me. 2021 Built To Serve. Less than 200km on it. Only had it for 3 days. When we picked it up, the dealer didn't even know how to undo the clamps to unlatch the tonneau cover. The force bent the metal up where the clamps were attached. All I have left is some bits of busted up plastic from the clamps. Took it in to the dealer and all they say is we've never heard of that happening. Maybe somebody tried to steal your tonneau cover. I said were they hiding inside the back pushing it up from the inside while I was on the highway? Beyond angry, but I still have to do my CSI survey which at this point will be beyond terrible.
I told them to get on the owners forums because these factory installed covers coming off is an actual thing.

Users who are viewing this thread