5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau cover suggestions

jefferyrw

Reaction score
Correction on what I stated. Its not actually hitting the sliding window but the solid piece of glass above it. Here I am in the open position. Roof for the light and rear view mirror camera. View attachment 100582
It looks about right...The folks at both RealTruck.com (parent company to bakflip) and bakflip have been very open and helpful. If you are not certain about the fit I would give them a call.
Thanks for posting the photo.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks about right...The folks at both RealTruck.com (parent company to bakflip) and bakflip have been very open and helpful. If you are not certain about the fit I would give them a call.
Thanks for posting the photo.
I'll definitely call them. I may have to correct myself again. It's not even hitting glass, it's a section of black trim above the glass. My observation skills are severely lacking. If I am ever called to be an eyewitness, I'll be less than worthless. LOL.

jefferyrw

Reaction score
I'll definitely call them. I may have to correct myself again. It's not even hitting glass, it's a section of black trim above the glass. My observation skills are severely lacking. If I am ever called to be an eyewitness, I'll be less than worthless. LOL.
Thanks for the update and clarification...I was not hip to having the cover rest against the glass.

2021REBEL

Reaction score
Thanks for the update and clarification...I was not hip to having the cover rest against the glass.

Go with the truck hero undercover ultraflex then. It stands upright and doesn’t lean anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2021REBEL

Reaction score
I already have the MX4 coming...

Oh alright. I was about to order the MX4 and then the shop recommended the ultraflex instead because of the various problems the MX4 has. I’ve heard great things about the MX4 as well though. All the best man

jefferyrw

Reaction score
Oh alright. I was about to order the MX4 and then the shop recommended the ultraflex instead because of the various problems the MX4 has. I’ve heard great things about the MX4 as well though. All the best man

There are so many choices out there that at some point you must take the plunge. It is much like selecting which truck to purchase and which options to get. There seems to be known problems with most any product and it is just a matter of good or bad luck as to whether you experience any of those problems.

2021REBEL

Reaction score
There are so many choices out there that at some point you must take the plunge. It is much like selecting which truck to purchase and which options to get. There seems to be known problems with most any product and it is just a matter of good or bad luck as to whether you experience any of those problems.

Well said. I agree completely.

Limo21

Reaction score
I ordered a Bak Flip MX4 from RealTruck.com. Call them instead of ordering it online and ask for a discount. They gave me about a 10% discount. And it was free shipping! I'll be installing it next week after I get my bed liner sprayed on.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first impression of the Bakflip MX4 is largely positive. There was a little water infiltration during a downpour yesterday. THe truck was parked on a slope, with the back of the bed pointing down. Had a little water along one side, like a small stream. This could be an installation error on my part and I'll check it out further when the weather is cooler.

I will note that the cover gets very hot in the sun and flipping it open, or even moreso, closing it when its been "baking" can almost require gloves or a towel.

I drove about 70 miles with it in the upright folded position and had no issues, though I'll note that having the rearview camera helps because you can't see out the back through a traditional rearview mirror when it's folded up.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got off of the phone with RealTrucks (BakFlip parent company)...The Gator FX3 is made by BakFlip but is not identical to the MX4. The BakFlip MX4 his aluminum while the Gator FX3 is a composite polymer product. Also the Gator has a 2 year warrantee and the BakFlip has a 5 year warrantee.

I will be ordering the MX4 later today but the FX3 seems to be an excellent product as well. If you order by phone, RealTruck offers a discount for active duty military and military veterans. The guy in product support did not know how much the discount is but the discount for my BedRug was 10%.

Edit: Just completed my MX4 order and received a 10% military vet discount and their standard free shipping. 3 - 4 weeks out.
Yes, the only differences I originally saw with the FX3 and MX4 were the material. At the end of the day composite is probably a little better for hot climates since aluminum is a superior thermal conductor. As a result, if it's in the sun that thing is going to get hot.
The other thing I noticed after canceling the FX3 is that some stuff says that you have to open the cover before closing the tailgate. That's one of the main features I liked about the MX4 is that it can be open closed regardless of the cover's position. That solidified my decision to cancel the FX3 and get the MX4.

I appreciate the tip on the discount. Unfortunately I've already got my cover so no joy for me. Maybe some other folks can save a bit of money though.

I installed my BakFlip MX4 at lunch today. Hopefully, I got it on correctly. Will find out later when I drive it.

I did notice that when folded, the only place it bumps the cab appears to be on the sliding rear window. Should I be concerned? Should I cut and move the stick-on "bumper" to each side of the sliding window?
I have my "bumpers" slightly closer to center than the install videos show. The cover is nowhere near contacting the outer edges, so I put the one in the center as instructed, and the other two are about a foot away from it. If the outer bumpers are going to make contact (which I don't see how they would), it will be near the center first.

jefferyrw

Reaction score
I received my Bakflip MX4 on Friday (the 13th) and installed it with no serious issues on Saturday. The two minor issues were one missing screw for the buckle kit and one of the corner trim pieces is not securely attached. Contacted RealTruck.com (purchased from them, Bakflip parent company). No muss, no fuss...Victor arranged for a new buckle kit and trim piece upgrade kit to be sent out immediately.

This all went much more smoothly that I had expected and I will have a few spare parts for future repairs if needed.

Edit: I have not washed the truck nor has there been any rain since I installed the MX4...That said, I really like the overall fit and finish of the product and their service support was excellent. We will have to wait and see if we have significant water leaks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread