5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover Sealant/Protectant?

njt07

Reaction score
As the title asks whats a good protectant/sealant for the factory tonneau cover? Quick search on google comes up with:

16oz. Wolfsteins Tonneau Cover Vinyl Protectant

or

Truxedo Pro-TeX Protectant Spray 20 oz.​

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
303 aerospace, Extang Tonneau Tonic (might be the same)
Do not use armor all.

KRField

Reaction score
303 protectant is an excellent choice.

Just keep in mind it is not a wipe on and walk away product. After applying follow up with a clean dry microfiber to buff dry. It does not air dry, and after a morning dew or rain it will run off and streak on the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njt07

Reaction score
303 protectant is an excellent choice.

Just keep in mind it is not a wipe on and walk away product. After applying follow up with a clean dry microfiber to buff dry. It does not air dry, and after a morning dew or rain it will run off and streak on the paint.

I assume you mean if you dont wipe off / buff the excess right? How long does it last between applications?

Jako

Reaction score
I assume you mean if you dont wipe off / buff the excess right? How long does it last between applications?
My experience on my Extang Black Max is best when ever washing your Ram. I find it easy to apply and wipe off. If you do not wash your Ram regularly it probably doesn't matter for the cover. It is not put it on and forget about it. My Extang Black Max looks new after 2 years.

Extang warranties the cover for 10 years. My first cover (2001 Dodge 1500) I probably spent some years maintaining the cover and got 10 years. My second cover less maintenance and is still keeping water out after 9 years. The vehicle has been on the street and sun the whole time.

My belief is if I applied the 303 or Extang's Tonneau Cover throughout my ownership I would still have the original. But life gets in the way of maintaining a 2001 Dodge 1500.

I also have used Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray on my 19 Ram but not on the cover, seems to work well on the trim, don't know about a tonneau cover. May be an interesting avenue to explore.

KRField

Reaction score

No 303 does not air dry. It has to be buffed dry. When I used it I applied it monthly. My cover is now coated with a spray coating (McKees 37) applied once a year and topped with a spray and rinse topper (McKees Hydro blue)every 4 months when washing the truck.

KRField

Reaction score
I thought 303 will air dry matte?

Nope. It’s on the bottle. Here is the note from their site. Just FYI (not trying to be that guy. Just help those that may not get expected or pleasing results)

Note: this product does not air dry. Extra buffing with a dry cloth INCREASES bonding, repellency & longevity. Apply every 3-5 weeks for maximum UV protection.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Nope. It’s on the bottle. Here is the note from their site. Just FYI (not trying to be that guy. Just help those that may not get expected or pleasing results)

Note: this product does not air dry. Extra buffing with a dry cloth INCREASES bonding, repellency & longevity. Apply every 3-5 weeks for maximum UV protection.

No worries, I was just curious. The reason I ask is that there is a YouTube detailer that absolutely loves 303, uses it for almost everything, especially truck covers, and one of his favorite tips is that leaving 303 to air dry leaves a nice matted finish.

He does apply it and goes over it several times with the applicator without buffing with a dry towel. I have done the same thing on trim, especially my fender flares, apply it with a microfiber applicator. I don't go back to buff it down, seems to work just fine.

But the instructions you posted states that if you do extra buffing, that it will improve the boding, repellency and longevity. I may just start doing that.

KRField

Reaction score
No worries, I was just curious. The reason I ask is that there is a YouTube detailer that absolutely loves 303, uses it for almost everything, especially truck covers, and one of his favorite tips is that leaving 303 to air dry leaves a nice matted finish.

He does apply it and goes over it several times with the applicator without buffing with a dry towel. I have done the same thing on trim, especially my fender flares, apply it with a microfiber applicator. I don't go back to buff it down, seems to work just fine.

But the instructions you posted states that if you do extra buffing, that it will improve the boding, repellency and longevity. I may just start doing that.

When I first used it I applied it like a normal dressing and after dews or rain I’d get streaks from product washing down trim. I used from a recommendation from a detailing forum because they claimed it didn’t run off. That’s when I read the bottle. So when I apply it I dress every thing then go back and buff dry.

Now the buff towel makes a difference. In detailing microfiber is king. However, when leveling product on rubber, vinyl, plastic, or leather cotton terry towels shine. They will level product and pick up excess without removing its foundation layer.

Jako

Reaction score
When I first used it I applied it like a normal dressing and after dews or rain I’d get streaks from product washing down trim. I used from a recommendation from a detailing forum because they claimed it didn’t run off. That’s when I read the bottle. So when I apply it I dress every thing then go back and buff dry.

Now the buff towel makes a difference. In detailing microfiber is king. However, when leveling product on rubber, vinyl, plastic, or leather cotton terry towels shine. They will level product and pick up excess without removing its foundation layer.

Man of my own heart "That's when I read the bottle". Too often it's a quick perusal and to work than when that doesn't work it's time to really read the directions. Just did it with my DiamondBack cover, had a picture also, clamps on the inside.

Users who are viewing this thread