5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau cover questions

bobinwa

Reaction score
I'm thinking of a one-piece tonneau cover for a 2022 1500 limited. Do you recommend the MOPAR one for 1450ish or are there reasons not to get that and go with an aftermarket one like the Undercover Elite LX for closer to 1800? Also do you know how high it will go up and can you drive with it up for short distances (with trashcan to the dump)?

thanks
bob

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Judging solely by the one my buddy had on his Ford I do not like them. He wasnt able to put anything large in the bed without removing the cover entirely which was a pain in the a$$. He eventually replaced it with a tri-fold cover and was much happier. Even if the tri-fold had to be removed it was only a few minute process and one person can do it. I decided to go with a soft roll up cover that gives me access to the entire bed without removing the entire assembly. There are some aluminum retractable covers available if you're looking for a hard cover

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
This is just to give you an idea about them. They are nice covers but limit what can go into the bed

Gipraw

Reaction score
I had an Undercover Elite on my F150. It was a first class product and great customer support. I have a Roll-n-Lock E series now. I would choose the retractable over the one piece 100 times out of 100 if I had to do it again. The only benefit of the solid cover, imo, was how watertight it was. It drastically limited the use of the bed, especially unplanned use. Takes two people to safely remove the cover. it is easy to remove, but can’t be realistically done if you aren’t home, since there is no place to leave it safely.

bobinwa

Reaction score
Hmm, I like the look but not the limits of using the bed. So is the Mopar tri-fold cover a good quality hard cover that is difficult to break into and water tight? Any opinions on that one versus an aftermarket tri-fold?

Accessory.Parts

Reaction score
Just coming in from my experience - I've never sold a Mopar Tri-Fold to anyone but our top sellers for 5th Gen Rams are BAKFlip MX4 by far and lately has been the Leer HG350M (Tri-Fold) and the Leer HF650M (Quad-Fold). If you decide to go with an aftermarket one, shoot me a PM, we're a site vendor and can typically get you the lowest price out there on aftermarket parts/ accessories.

Coops

Reaction score
I'm curious if the new Ram tri-folds are similar to the old (Gen 4 I think) in that the section against the cab that is bolted down is much longer than say a Bakflip. To answer your question though, I had the Bakflip F1 on my last truck and it seemed secure enough and was great at keeping water out. I'll be going with the Eagle HD from Truck Outfitters as it's a rebranded F1 but cheaper.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Just coming in from my experience - I've never sold a Mopar Tri-Fold to anyone but our top sellers for 5th Gen Rams are BAKFlip MX4 by far and lately has been the Leer HG350M (Tri-Fold) and the Leer HF650M (Quad-Fold). If you decide to go with an aftermarket one, shoot me a PM, we're a site vendor and can typically get you the lowest price out there on aftermarket parts/ accessories.
What’s your opinion on the MX4 vs. F1?

jent

Reaction score
I just installed an MX4, it seems pretty decent minus one missing and one broken part. I hadn't seen the Leer covers, I kind of wish I had gone with one of those in retrospect. I wonder how the water proofing compares considering no drain tubes.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
love the BF MX 4 I have....great cover, easy to use, no water, good looking finish. Got a "return-open box" from a truck store for $750.

cleandirt

Reaction score
I’m intrigued by the diamondback covers, being able to strap weight on top seems convenient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Hmm, I like the look but not the limits of using the bed. So is the Mopar tri-fold cover a good quality hard cover that is difficult to break into and water tight? Any opinions on that one versus an aftermarket tri-fold?
I think the only true water tight cover would be the one piece like the one I posted the video to. The other tri-folds (even the mopar one) and roll ups will allow at least some water drops to get in because of bed rail gaps and seam but it's nothing that will drown the items in the bed. The mopar covers are made by aftermarket companies so the real advantage would cost. When I bought my 11 Ram they told me the mopar tri-fold cover was almost $600 so I searched the aftermarket and got one for about $289. When I bought my new 21 Ram I ordered an aftermarket roll up cover from Amazon for $179. which I like better than the other. It basically comes down to what you like as there are several different brands and types of cover at very different price levels

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
6BF3CAAC-D998-40FD-BA76-2BA56C59F55A.jpeg I love my ARE totally water tight and secure. If I need to haul something big I just hook up my trailer. E21B6F64-BF87-4425-8C58-965D2312FB28.jpeg

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
I was leaning towards the F1 but now I am starting to take a hard look at the HF650M because of the rail and latching mechanism.

Houstontiger

Reaction score
I believe that Mopar trifold hard cover is built by Bakflip

Ram-583

Reaction score
I have bought a few things from the guys at ACCESSORY.PARTS and they can not be beat! 1. Their price is better than 99% of anyone else. 2. They are very responsive just send them a message and they respond with a price and a link. 3. Their customer service is next level! If you need anything for your RAM definitely hit these guys up and give them a try.

They got me a BAK Industries Revolver X4s thats been on back order within 3 weeks for more than $200 less than the advertised prices at most places.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread