5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover Questions

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm shopping for a hard folding tonneau cover for my 2022 5'7" bed Laramie with the multifunction tailgate. It'd like it to be flush, and I seem to remember seeing one a couple of years ago that had a lock that paired itself to the vehicle key. Cool feature, but not mandatory.

The issue I'm seeing is the multifunction tailgate. Most websites I've looked at say W/O Multifunction Tailgate. Will they really not work with it? Is there a hard cover that will?

TIA
Dan

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Very nice! I looked that one up, interweb says says W/O MFT & Ram Boxes too. So you can barn door open the tailgate without issues? I was leaning toward a folding rather than a rolling cover, how much bed do you lose with the roller assembly when it's fully open? Is it easily removable If I want the whole bed?

RickWaz

Reaction score
Yes, it works perfectly w/ the MFT and Ram Boxes. The canister takes up approx. 10" x 10" and there's still a few inches 8-10" below the canister for smaller items or longer items that are not too tall. And it will take < 10-minutes to remove should you need the entire bed. Below is some installation info. Good luck w/ your research and decision!

Attachments

• retrax_80244_standard_install.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • RetraxOne MX (60244).pdf
    585 KB · Views: 4

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't see why the Bakflip MX4 wouldn't work with MFT. I suspect the issue you have with most covers which say they won't work with it are 2 things. Either (1) they haven't tested it and don't want to say it will work without testing so they just say it won't work to cover themselves. Or (2) the tailgate and cover have to be closed in a specific order. Specifically they require you close the gate then the cover (something to do with how they seal). Since the MX4 can be closed with either the gate or the cover first it shouldn't have any issues with "barn door."
If I had to venture a guess I'd say that most covers simply haven't been tested with MFT and they don't want to say it will work even though it probably will.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Very nice! I looked that one up, interweb says says W/O MFT & Ram Boxes too. So you can barn door open the tailgate without issues? I was leaning toward a folding rather than a rolling cover, how much bed do you lose with the roller assembly when it's fully open? Is it easily removable If I want the whole bed?
I went with the Truxedo Truxsport for 299 bucks with the barn doors and Rambox. I am perfectly happy and you got to get right up on it to tell the difference between it and the four figure ones. And you get 100% of the box access easy. It takes a second person for roughly 30 seconds to install as you slide it onto the back. I did get some after market expanding window insulation to make it 98% waterproof, but I'm not anal in that area.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm shopping for a hard folding tonneau cover for my 2022 5'7" bed Laramie with the multifunction tailgate. It'd like it to be flush, and I seem to remember seeing one a couple of years ago that had a lock that paired itself to the vehicle key. Cool feature, but not mandatory.

The issue I'm seeing is the multifunction tailgate. Most websites I've looked at say W/O Multifunction Tailgate. Will they really not work with it? Is there a hard cover that will?

TIA
Dan
Since you didn’t mention ramboxes you can look here. Tonneau covers for MFT WITHOUT Ramboxes only. It’s a long thread but you can gain a ton of valuable information there. Most seem to be going with a canister type cover but I went with the undercover ultra flex and had to do some rail modifications and reverse installation as you’ll see around page 37-38ish.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I don't see why the Bakflip MX4 wouldn't work with MFT. I suspect the issue you have with most covers which say they won't work with it are 2 things. Either (1) they haven't tested it and don't want to say it will work without testing so they just say it won't work to cover themselves. Or (2) the tailgate and cover have to be closed in a specific order. Specifically they require you close the gate then the cover (something to do with how they seal). Since the MX4 can be closed with either the gate or the cover first it shouldn't have any issues with "barn door."
If I had to venture a guess I'd say that most covers simply haven't been tested with MFT and they don't want to say it will work even though it probably will.
The issue with the MFT and most covers are the front corner support brackets. 1st pic is the Original bracket on the bottom and the needed replacement bracket on the top to allow some hard folding and canister roll ups to work with some modifications. . 2nd pic is why most all covers won’t work with the OEM bracket installed.

A4671E27-079B-49E5-BE9D-DACE7D5F9031.png BBB7931B-A9DD-4BC0-8AB6-9F47D7F7431B.png

Last edited:

Mad Cow

Reaction score
The issue with the MFT and most covers are the front corner support brackets.
Ah, I didn't realize the MTF had corner braces at the front. Looks like a flush mount cover will be totally out of the question...

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I skimmed trough it. Did you use the 'L' brackets from the cabinet place?
Yes. You have to use those for 99% of applications. For my case I also had to reverse the rails and install the drains by the tailgate. With the MX4 I believe you can install the rails with some cutting behind the replacement brackets. I know it’s posted in there.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
This is the one I was eyeballing. Think it could be made to fit? EXTANG XCEED

Edit Again: Looks doubtful, even with the 'L' bracket. Drain and main attachment points are at the front...

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
This is the one I was eyeballing. Think it could be made to fit? EXTANG XCEED

Edit Again: Looks doubtful, even with the 'L' bracket. Drain and main attachment points are at the front...
The only reason I had to reverse my rails was that I couldn’t cut enough away without cutting into the drain and I didn’t want to have to rebuild the drain with the time I had allotted. I don’t believe the MX4 had that issue. I cant recall if anyone in that thread installed the xceed or not.

RickWaz

Reaction score
If you have the Sliver (aluminum) rails, no add'l brackets or reverse engineering are necessary if you choose the Retrax Pro MX.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
If you have the Sliver (aluminum) rails, no add'l brackets or reverse engineering are necessary if you choose the Retrax Pro MX.
He doesn’t have the ramboxes according to his signature nor his posts. Silver rails are not the issue.

RickWaz

Reaction score
I simply added that comment for others (that might stumble upon this post) and do have them and were uncertain if add'l parts and/or work might be needed to properly install that particular Retrax cover.

1639507486201.png

Mad Cow

Reaction score
I did get the Red Utility Group. Hopefully, that is not another level of problems...

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't realize the MTF had corner braces at the front....
Yea me either. I'm sure it's due to the weight of the tailgate being supported by the bed side when it's swung open, but that seems a bit strange. If I was designing it, I think I'd have gone with a vertical beam near the rear of the bed (under the rail to the floor), not an L bracket by the cab. That is offering minimal support to the rear at best, which is why you can get away with using a cabinet bracket in its place.
Anyway I digress. I had no idea there was a bracket there either, which definitely creates a problem when shopping for aftermarket parts.

Users who are viewing this thread