5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover Questions

MBDC

Reaction score
I just got a Lomax tri fold cover installed yesterday...then it started raining like crazy here in Houston. A few water droplets were in each corner of the bed.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a Gator FX hard cover. It is a tri-fold, and the 3rd section can fold up to the cab, allowing use of the entire bed. I thought that this might bother me since it blocks the view out the back window but I have used it several times this way without issue. I just turn the rear view camera on which allows a pretty good view of the world behind me.

I had a soft cover on a previous truck and found that it was a royal pain in the winter - less pliable and more work to fasten it when the temps were cold.

I have never matched my highest mpg since I installed the cover, but I have also installed some other accessories (exhaust, wheels and tires) that would have negated mpg gains anyway.

FormerTitanFan

Reaction score
For those of you with tonneau covers, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there an advantage to fuel milage by covering the bed? I am sure a lot of tech goes into aerodynamics of the truck as is but thought I would ask.

2. Broad question, is a soft or hard cover preferred and why?

3. If a hard cover would you go with fiberglass oe aluminum?
I’ve had an ARE fiberglass since 2004 but my RAM will be sporting a Lomax for a lot of reasons.

MarkkraM

Reaction score
I am in the market of a new cover. My previous f150 had a soft roll up. Hated it.

Did have a bak fibermax on my Sierra for 6 years and it still looked great. It wasn't perfect for me. First, it was heavy. Needed to jump into the bed to fold it up. Unlike the mx4, my cover required it to be open to the cab or closed all the way, no in-between. But the biggest issue was that the cover would freeze to the tailgate in winter. There were some cases where I could not get into my truck bed. Frozen shut.

I may go with lomax because of the freezing issue. I'll just remove it when j need full access I think.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
I am in the market of a new cover. My previous f150 had a soft roll up. Hated it.

Did have a bak fibermax on my Sierra for 6 years and it still looked great. It wasn't perfect for me. First, it was heavy. Needed to jump into the bed to fold it up. Unlike the mx4, my cover required it to be open to the cab or closed all the way, no in-between. But the biggest issue was that the cover would freeze to the tailgate in winter. There were some cases where I could not get into my truck bed. Frozen shut.

I may go with lomax because of the freezing issue. I'll just remove it when j need full access I think.
I have a lomax and like it a lot. If i could bring myself to glue something to the truck they make the lomax stance which opens all the way.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a lomax and like it a lot. If i could bring myself to glue something to the truck they make the lomax stance which opens all the way.
I feel the same way. Wish I could get over it. Debated the Lomax, lot of good features. I opted for the DiamondBack for the security, too old with too many tools to remove at the end of the day.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score

ABess

Reaction score
I love mine as well. After 3 years, the aluminum is holding up better than the undercover flex's I had on my last truck which the panels warped and bowed in the middle causing a big lake on the cover when the truck was sitting in the rain.
I have Lomax trifolds on both my GMC and my Ram. Love em! They keep my gear secure and look great, plus they support up to 400lbs!

Yangster

Reaction score
I have the Truckcovers USA retractable cover (305MT). It's one of the more expensive models, but it works great! They retractable bin is the smallest on the market (8"x8"). I also have the Rambox and MFT. No regrets whatsoever!

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
After looking around a lot and shopping at several local dealer, I ended up ordering an Undercover ArmorFlex. I liked the fact that it has the LineX on the panels. There are A TON of reviews for the Bak MX4 and others stating how easy it scratches and gets damaged. It also has a 5 year warranty instead of the 3 year for the MX4. I will be installing it this weekend (maybe tonight).

ABess

Reaction score
Soft roll up cover for me. If I need to use the bed of the truck, I typically need the whole bed.

Hard covers do not allow that without removing, retractable covers have a huge box in the front of the bed, and folding covers are similar to hard covers in their utility.
My lomax removes in 69 seconds under normal conditions. RLTW!

Users who are viewing this thread