5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover Options for Multi Function Tailgate

Savagescott

Reaction score
I traded my 2019 Limited on a 2020 Limited w/ Multi Function and to my dismay, discovered my beloved Lomax trifold cover won't fit the new truck. Does anyone have suggestions for a hard cover that will fit the Multi Function truck (5'7" bed, no Ram Box)?

Skater

Reaction score
Try this thread:

Get some Right on Brackets if you do not have Ramboxes. I have a WeatherTech Alloy on my Limited with MFT.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love my Diamondback SE. Not for everyone, but works great for me, and works well with the MFT. Great water protection, looks good, solid, not as heavy or expensive as the higher end model, relatively easy to remove and install.

BTW, i would vote against replacing the cast OEM corner brackets. If FCA could have saved a dollar using bent steel L brackets, they would have. That degree of stiffness (which goes with the reinforced front and side rails) is there for a reason.

DML_2020

Reaction score
Love my Diamondback SE. Not for everyone, but works great for me, and works well with the MFT. Great water protection, looks good, solid, not as heavy or expensive as the higher end model, relatively easy to remove and install.

BTW, i would vote against replacing the cast OEM corner brackets. If FCA could have saved a dollar using bent steel L brackets, they would have. That degree of stiffness (which goes with the reinforced front and side rails) is there for a reason.

DML_2020

Reaction score
cj7 - I have 2020 Ram and a Diamondback SE on order. My concern now is figuring out how to seal the multi-function tailgate so water does not come pouring in through the large gaps around the tailgate. Have you come up with a good solution for this?

Skater

Reaction score
With my WeatherTech Tri-Fold there are no gaps between the MFT and tonneau cover, and no water seeps into the bed. I did add some weatherstripping to the bulkhead under the tonneau, but nothing was needed at the tailgate. There is one caveat to my comment... I live in the high desert, so it does not ran much here. I do wash my Ram twice a month with a spray foam cannon and drive through some pretty strong storms in Colorado, but I have never found any water in the bed.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
cj7 - I have 2020 Ram and a Diamondback SE on order. My concern now is figuring out how to seal the multi-function tailgate so water does not come pouring in through the large gaps around the tailgate. Have you come up with a good solution for this?
I have had zero water intrusion from the MFT so far, including the last couple days, driving from MD to NC and back, raining like the whole time. The cover does seem to cover most of the top gaps on either side, and most of the center top gap. The other MFT gaps are below the bottom of the bed, and recessed on the vertical sides, so I think you’ll be ok.

Maybe luck, but I haven’t done anything, and it’s been dry inside . My suggestion is to properly align it on install, and see if you get any water intrusion...

Users who are viewing this thread