5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau - 22 with Rambox and MFT

Whiskeymike

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which Tonneau to go with as I just picked up my 2022 Rebel GT with Ramboxes and multifunction tailgate. I prefer the trifold tonneau, as it gives me complete access to the bed.

The three I've found that I believe will work properly are -

Bakflip F1
Bakflip MX4
Undercover Armor Flex

It appears they all have 5 year warranties. I can't figure out what the difference is between the F1 and MX4, except F1 is fiberglass and and MX4 is aluminum. Not sure why I would care one way or the other, in case anyone could enlightment,

Anyone have any guidance on which is best and why? Is there another I missed that I should reconsider?

Bigbags85

Reaction score
The undercover flex is nice because if you had all the panels folded up it holds itself up away from the rear window with locking rods.

U

User_84945

I had the Undercover ArmorFlex on a previous truck. Worked great, liked it a lot, and I will be ordering one for my Rebel. I have Rambox but no MFT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAMKing1

Reaction score
I have an undercover on order from Amazon Warehouse, hopefully it comes in good shape for $490, otherwise I'll return it and buy new.

Only thing I came across is what rails are in your bed Silver (good) or Black (bad). I am picking mine up hopefully next week so hoping for silver rails otherwise I have to replace the black ones with silver for about $300

jgmac98

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which Tonneau to go with as I just picked up my 2022 Rebel GT with Ramboxes and multifunction tailgate. I prefer the trifold tonneau, as it gives me complete access to the bed.

Bakflip F1
Bakflip MX4
Undercover Armor Flex

It appears they all have 5 year warranties. I can't figure out what the difference is between the F1 and MX4, except F1 is fiberglass and and MX4 is aluminum. Not sure why I would care one way or the other, in case anyone could enlightment,

Anyone have any guidance on which is best and why? Is there another I missed that I should reconsider?
have you looked at the Bak X4s? it's not a tri-flip, it's a roll up, but it has 2" aluminum strips the whole way across creating a solid top when deployed. It locks all the way down each side. When you roll it up, it takes up about as much length as the MX4, but only about 1/2 of your rear window is blocked. It is an awesome system, they keep the water out very well.

if your around the Calgary Alberta area I can show you

Whiskeymike

Reaction score
I have an undercover on order from Amazon Warehouse, hopefully it comes in good shape for $490, otherwise I'll return it and buy new.

Only thing I came across is what rails are in your bed Silver (good) or Black (bad). I am picking mine up hopefully next week so hoping for silver rails otherwise I have to replace the black ones with silver for about $300
I have the silver. Do they have to come out? Or are they used in the process? $490, that’s a hell of a deal.

Whiskeymike

Reaction score
have you looked at the Bak X4s? it's not a tri-flip, it's a roll up, but it has 2" aluminum strips the whole way across creating a solid top when deployed. It locks all the way down each side. When you roll it up, it takes up about as much length as the MX4, but only about 1/2 of your rear window is blocked. It is an awesome system, they keep the water out very well.

if your around the Calgary Alberta area I can show you
I have not. I will give them a look. My concern with that type is security. You feel they are pretty secure?

thanks for the offer, I’m in Austin, TX, so it’d be a bit of a trip. ;)

jgmac98

Reaction score
I have not. I will give them a look. My concern with that type is security. You feel they are pretty secure?

thanks for the offer, I’m in Austin, TX, so it’d be a bit of a trip. ;)
Yeah, that would be a bit of a drive.

I would say that the X4s is more secure than any tri-fold just by how the locking mechanism works. Each 2-3" aluminum slat is locked down on both sides and are connected to the next slat on the long edges. It can hold >400lbs on top (spread out) when "closed". It's hard to explain about how it locks down, but it's fantastic and you get a solid tonneau cover with a soft cover look.

Accessory.Parts

Reaction score
I can get you a discount on the the tonneau when you're ready to pull the trigger, We work with Bak, Undercover, Truxedo, Retrax, Pace Edwards and a couple other. Just shoot me a private message and I can get you prices.

RAMKing1

Reaction score
I have the silver. Do they have to come out? Or are they used in the process? $490, that’s a hell of a deal.
Silver are good to go.

Look at the condition, if it's anything on the inside it's a steal, if not it goes back to Amazon (aka The UPS store) at no cost.

1642737252630.png

Whiskeymike

Reaction score
Yeah, that would be a bit of a drive.

I would say that the X4s is more secure than any tri-fold just by how the locking mechanism works. Each 2-3" aluminum slat is locked down on both sides and are connected to the next slat on the long edges. It can hold >400lbs on top (spread out) when "closed". It's hard to explain about how it locks down, but it's fantastic and you get a solid tonneau cover with a soft cover look.
Yea, I watched the video and it was really interesting how it works. It seems really secure being that each slat has its own connection to the rail which should add a lot to its strength. Appreciate you pointing it out.

Whiskeymike

Reaction score
2022 Ram 1500 Rebel Two Tone Granite 3.0 Eco Diesel 33 Gallon fuel tank Elec. Shift on Demand Rebel B package Rebel 12 package Cold Weather group Comfort Convenience group Advanced Safety group Blind Spot and cross path detection Bedliner RamBox Rear Wheelhouse liners
Ordered 10/27 :: VIN 11/01 :: D1 12/21 :: F 01/07 :: eagerly awaiting next steps
i just read your build. I just got my 22 Rebel GT, Granite two-tone, with 33g tank, ASG, Rambox, Rebel 12, etc… on Tuesday. You are going to love the two tone. A few days before I went to pick mine up, I started second guessing the two tone, and wondering if I made a mistake. Nope, it is awesome. Good luck with getting yours, you’ll love it.

chris288

Reaction score
My wife always accuses me of not being very perceptive or whatever, so when my rebel came in we had a 6 hr. ride home, 1/2 way home we stopped for lunch, so i said, i bet you didnt even notice the truck is 2-tone.... nope...

mhendo

Reaction score
I have both the Ram boxes and the MFT as well and went with the Lomax folding cover from Agricover. I couldn't be happier and the fit and finish is excellent. It took me about an hour to install and was very easy.

Lomax Folding Hold Cover

BNeal

Reaction score

Bakflip F1
Bakflip MX4
Undercover Armor Flex

I have the MX4 and love it. The only issue I've had is the aluminum is pretty soft. Had a mild hail storm last fall and the only thing that got banged up was the MX4 - truck was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread