5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Today I realized my GPS is useless

2001gw

Reaction score
I tried to search for an address today and it kept saying something about being "offline". I let my U Connect Gaurdian expire 2 years ago.

Any solutions to this other than subscribing to U Connect Gaurdian?

2021 RAM 1500, 12" screen.

Thanks.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I tried to search for an address today and it kept saying something about being "offline". I let my U Connect Gaurdian expire 2 years ago.

Any solutions to this other than subscribing to U Connect Gaurdian?

2021 RAM 1500, 12" screen.

Thanks.
Use your phone, better navigation through Waze or Google Maps.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I’ve never paid for Guardian and I‘ve always been able to search an address in nav. maybe you need a nav update? I did mine 2 yr ago (still doesn’t show roads built 3-4 yr ago) When they ran a good discount on it. Newer roads sometimes require I google the location and then map select a nearby spot on the nav, but older addresses have never been an issue for me.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The factory NAV is garbage. Use Google Maps and/or Waze on your phone, download maps in case you are without internet on those rare occasions.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I used to be a google maps user via CarPlay. I’ve become more fond of Apple Maps…which surprised even me.
With Apple Maps, it still uses the Heads Up display turn by turn as I see on screen.

If Google Maps worked with heads up display, I’d convert back…

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine still finds stuff. I imagine if I put in something that didn't exist when my map data was compiled, it will try (and fail) to go online. It should still find cities and such, I would think.

PetePA

Reaction score
The factory NAV is garbage. Use Google Maps and/or Waze on your phone, download maps in case you are without internet on those rare occasions.
Ahh I was really hoping to be able to rely on the factory nav since Android Auto isn't full screen.

What makes it garbage? Hoping it's stuff I can live with so that I can avoid Android Auto.

Dewey

Reaction score
Ahh I was really hoping to be able to rely on the factory nav since Android Auto isn't full screen.

What makes it garbage? Hoping it's stuff I can live with so that I can avoid Android Auto.
Well that sucks. Guess I’m happy I use Apple CarPlay.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score

I’ve never had trouble with OEM nav…other than the usual new roads, reconfigured highway interchanges, etc (Tulsa, OK seems to be particularly bad on that front). Only time it failed me was Dodge City, KS…where it wanted me to drive thru the lobby of a Holiday Inn. Thankfully nothing like the nav in my 2018 Acura that tried to convince me I lived in Toronto and the nearest Starbucks was 1100 miles away!

Idahoktm

Reaction score

I think you'll like the factory nav on UC5. I actually prefer UC5 over Android Auto and not just because it's full screen. I had some issues with traffic showing up on the display, but after working with Ram Connect for about a month, it's working now. My only gripe is the lack of satellite view on UC5 maps. Not sure why they don't have that option when everyone else does.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

I should preface that I think it's garbage based on how well or how terrible it routes me in my area, I have never had a more frustrating time with this nav.

One day after it sent me on a trip to the center of the earth, I finally caved in and bought a new phone so it would work well with the Android auto integration, and I haven't looked back.

Factor in paying every year to two years 50 to 100 dollars for a map upgrade is ridiculous.

Dewey

Reaction score
I think you'll like the factory nav on UC5. I actually prefer UC5 over Android Auto and not just because it's full screen. I had some issues with traffic showing up on the display, but after working with Ram Connect for about a month, it's working now. My only gripe is the lack of satellite view on UC5 maps. Not sure why they don't have that option when everyone else does.
I use Onx for that.

IMG_1629.jpeg
Doesn’t give me road directions though, only off-road.😆

Reactions: c3k

Adjutant

Reaction score
Definitely use Waze, it will re-route you if there is an accident, or something that is going to seriously delay your travel.
It has saved me tons of times, when Ive been on the road for work. I-10 shut down, and it would re-route around the stop.

Its all I use. Its an incredible app. I travel for work, so its a God send

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Definitely use Waze, it will re-route you if there is an accident, or something that is going to seriously delay your travel.
It has saved me tons of times, when Ive been on the road for work. I-10 shut down, and it would re-route around the stop.

Its all I use. Its an incredible app. I travel for work, so its a God send

Google bought Waze several years ago and uses their system for re-routing for accidents, warning about speed traps, etc. The positive is it doesn't keep asking me like Waze does for confirmation.

gpbst3

Reaction score
Did you try to use that big search bar on the main screen. Yay that doesn't work. I have no clue how they let that slide through development. You have to hit destination then type the address. If your trying to search for a general gas stations near me that aint happening either.

stronbl

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 2020 Ram. Offline database unavailable for "search and go" and "send and go" features (I could manually type in something like airport or gas station on the "search" bar, and a list would come up, so the database is still there). I had to upgrade Uconnect 4 software and the nav map to get the full functionality back. Then it all worked again. If you feel like going the upgrade route, talk to them and ask if they have any specials. I believe they will almost always knock $50 off, maybe more. Or as suggested by many already, just go with 3rd party options.

Users who are viewing this thread