5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Winch Or Not To Winch

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
So, I've been wanting a winch on my 21 Big Horn since I've seen the hidden winch mount by Vice Designs. Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a winch, a few days before Christmas. I ordered a Warn Zeon 10S, not the Platinum, couldn't justify that expense, but thought I could do better than the Evo. Go to Vice's webpage to order my mount, only to find out the Zeon line isn't fully supported, the clutch relocation kits only mention the Evo and Smittybilt, no Zeon. I messaged Vice, and was told the Zeon couldn't be clocked as needed, so leave clutch engaged and let line out with motor. Also, will be a tight fit, so I probably want to get the wireless setup, which is another $200+.
I'm now wondering if I need to cancel my Warn order and get a Smittybilt. I'd definitely save some money that I could use on other stuff. Man, decisions decisions

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I was going to order a warn, but decided not to get that. I will either get a SmittyBuilt or Badland one. If you watch Matt’s recovery channel on YT, you will see he pulls out pretty much anything and everything with Badland winch when he uses a winch. Recovery rope is his go to tool.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
I was going to order a warn, but decided not to get that. I will either get a SmittyBuilt or Badland one. If you watch Matt’s recovery channel on YT, you will see he pulls out pretty much anything and everything with Badland winch when he uses a winch. Recovery rope is his go to tool.
The only thing about winches other than (some) Warn and Smittybilt, is access to controls and whatnot. The mount is underneath the factory bumper, so it's not open or out like other applications. But have heard good stuff about Badlands winches

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Whelp, looks like I was able to get my order for the Warn Zeon canceled and refunded. Guess I really need to decide if I want the Smittybilt or the Warn Evo. Not gone lie, I really wanted that Zeon, though. I think both the Evo and Smittybilt ropes are bolted to the drum, whereas the Zeon had some type of through connection. I think both Evo and Smittybilt are made in China, not really excited about that. I also think both the Evo and Smittybilt have lower duty cycles, not that I would be pulling back to back, but having that window or margin would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread