5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Order or Buy Off the Lot?

Savagescott

Reaction score
Close to pulling the trigger on a Limited, etorque, 3.92, pano, etc. Having paid attention to many posts about bulletins re: brakes, HK Stereo, etc., I'm concerned about taking one from inventory and having to go through all the TSB B.S. that many others have.

If I find one one on a lot, any suggestions about what to look for? For example, only consider trucks built after a certain date, etc? All the bulletins are tracked by VIN, correct? So the dealer can tell me what bulletins are out there for a specific truck?

I'm not in a big hurry to get the truck so I'd be OK ordering and waiting 12 weeks - is that a better idea?

Lastly, is a vehicle's build date on the window sticker?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, from what I've seen/read, TSBs fall into the category of 'if the customer complains, this is the fix'... if you have a build after the TSB date, then it seems those issues were addressed.

There is grey sticker on the driver door jamb, mine has a build of 9/18 and I've had no issues... seems that starting in September, most of the earlier issues seem to have been addressed.

79 300

Reaction score
I spent a few months searching inventories online, and my local dealer even agreed to do a dealer trade if I found one I wanted, but everything I found wasn't what I wanted. They either were missing things I wanted, or loaded up with options I didn't want. I ended up ordering one. The problems on the earlier trucks kind of worried me too.

I found a way to spot earlier builds viewing window stickers online. Certain options increased in price on later builds, and after viewing dozens of stickers you can more or less spot that difference. I know the destination fee just went up from $1645 to $1695 for my area (southeast PA). that is easy to spot looking online.

Good luck looking, but if you're not finding what you want, I would just order one.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I spent a few months searching inventories online, and my local dealer even agreed to do a dealer trade if I found one I wanted, but everything I found wasn't what I wanted. They either were missing things I wanted, or loaded up with options I didn't want. I ended up ordering one. The problems on the earlier trucks kind of worried me too.

I found a way to spot earlier builds viewing window stickers online. Certain options increased in price on later builds, and after viewing dozens of stickers you can more or less spot that difference. I know the destination fee just went up from $1645 to $1695 for my area (southeast PA). that is easy to spot looking online.

Good luck looking, but if you're not finding what you want, I would just order one.

I've noticed the price increases, too, but wasn't sure how that correlates to build date. Do we know when those prices increased?

Savagescott

Reaction score
So, from what I've seen/read, TSBs fall into the category of 'if the customer complains, this is the fix'... if you have a build after the TSB date, then it seems those issues were addressed.

There is grey sticker on the driver door jamb, mine has a build of 9/18 and I've had no issues... seems that starting in September, most of the earlier issues seem to have been addressed.

An aside... did you drive the non ORP, too? Did you notice any difference in ride quality? I'm considering the ORP purely for the ability to accommodate a bigger wheel/tire combo but I'd be less inclined if affected ride.

Savagescott

Reaction score
An aside... did you drive the non ORP, too? Did you notice any difference in ride quality? I'm considering the ORP purely for the ability to accommodate a bigger wheel/tire combo but I'd be less inclined if affected ride.

Typo.... I meant ORG...

chrisfuss

Reaction score
If you can find something anything close to what you are looking for on the lot, go for it... The TSBs are the much quicker and easier route than ordering...

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Order if you can't get what you want. Do not compromise. I got lucky. The truck I found on the lot had everything I wanted. Even a few things I didn't know I wanted like the larger gas tank for one.

The dealers inventory levels should be good though in terms of vehicles. I am fairly sure there are some trucks out there that meet the requirements. The rebel 12 may be one you dont see yet and Ram Boxes. The ram Boxes was one thing I wanted but could live without.

Either way these are no longer inexpensive vehicles and we have to keep them longer so get what you want and can afford. If it means order then do it and wait. Another benefit to ordering is getting a later build date that has more of the gremlins chased out and later software versions.

79 300

Reaction score
I don't know exactly when the prices increased, but if I see one with lower prices on certain options, I know it has been around longer.

RamMeToo

Reaction score

Agree here. I am a late September build and have had no issues. Door jamb sticker has build date.

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
I've found that if you buy off lot, you may be able to find a really amazing deal. If you're very picky, the likelihood of finding that amazing deal on the truck you want is very low, in my experience. I price shopped a build and got to a price point I was comfortable with given what all I wanted in my build. I then asked a local dealer to match the price and they did.

U

User_3336

Mine was 4/18 build date, I have noticed newer ones (with later vin #'s), have had price increases for the same option. I don't think mine arrived on the lot until 8/18 (had a note not to sell before then).

I've noticed the price increases, too, but wasn't sure how that correlates to build date. Do we know when those prices increased?

djwdjw

Reaction score
I've found that if you buy off lot, you may be able to find a really amazing deal. If you're very picky, the likelihood of finding that amazing deal on the truck you want is very low, in my experience.

I found this to be true, particularly at the right time of the month, etc. Depends on the dealer and getting them competing on specific VINs in stock you'll accept.

meltedcheez

Reaction score
Also, dealers tend to purchase in quantity. You'll see multiple of the same type of truck with nearly exact options at one lot but not another. The deals can be comparable but look at different lot so see if they have a truck with a different set of options but similar in price. For example one lot may have more Bighorns with the ORP but another lot's Bighorns have the bucket seats.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Order if you can't get what you want. Do not compromise. I got lucky. The truck I found on the lot had everything I wanted. Even a few things I didn't know I wanted like the larger gas tank for one.

The dealers inventory levels should be good though in terms of vehicles. I am fairly sure there are some trucks out there that meet the requirements. The rebel 12 may be one you dont see yet and Ram Boxes. The ram Boxes was one thing I wanted but could live without.

Either way these are no longer inexpensive vehicles and we have to keep them longer so get what you want and can afford. If it means order then do it and wait. Another benefit to ordering is getting a later build date that has more of the gremlins chased out and later software versions.

This.
Unless they offer a great deal or you need a vehicle right f'in now? For the price of a truck? It should be everything you wanted within your budget.
If "it doesn't matter if it has/doesn't have ___________ " that's one thing.
But if you WANT something? Go get it.
It's a bunch of money to pay every month, but it's an easier pill to swallow when it's got all the things you want.

meltedcheez

Reaction score
This.
Unless they offer a great deal or you need a vehicle right f'in now? For the price of a truck? It should be everything you wanted within your budget.
If "it doesn't matter if it has/doesn't have ___________ " that's one thing.
But if you WANT something? Go get it.
It's a bunch of money to pay every month, but it's an easier pill to swallow when it's got all the things you want.

^^This is why next time I will be getting a Rebel. :)

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
When i ordered mine, it was about a week and the dealer told me the msrp had went up $1000. My build date is in my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread