5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To delete resonators or not?

Moparluver

Reaction score
I have a 14-in MagnaFlow, with stock resonators, And I get quite a bit of drone from 1,500 to 2,000 RPM. I'm wondering if I took off the stock resonators on the rear if that would cure some of that drone. I'm okay with a little bit louder, as long as that drone is reduced in that range. Does anybody have any experience with this progression? How did it change the drone you hear? I believe someone else here said that it actually reduced the drone in that RPM range. Can anyone confirm that?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It drones even with MDS off? Your truck will likely drone with any aftermarket muffler, resonators or not with MDS operating.

Only thing I know that won't drone with MDS on is some of the better full cat-back exhaust systems, like the Borlas.

Moparluver

Reaction score
It drones even with MDS off? Your truck will likely drone with any aftermarket muffler, resonators or not with MDS operating.

Only thing I know that won't drone with MDS on is some of the better full cat-back exhaust systems, like the Borlas.
yeah, there's a resonance with mds off around that RPM

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
yeah, there's a resonance with mds off around that RPM

Gotcha, not sure if removing those resonators out back will help with that. Hopefully someone will chime in here who may have done it, or maybe contact a good muffler shop and see what they recommend.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 14-in MagnaFlow, with stock resonators, And I get quite a bit of drone from 1,500 to 2,000 RPM. I'm wondering if I took off the stock resonators on the rear if that would cure some of that drone. I'm okay with a little bit louder, as long as that drone is reduced in that range. Does anybody have any experience with this progression? How did it change the drone you hear? I believe someone else here said that it actually reduced the drone in that RPM range. Can anyone confirm that?
I have a Carven R series muffler on mine and I was always surprised how much drone it had with the resonators still on, so finally I decided to take off the resonators and WOW, I recommend it 100%. It’s obviously louder when getting on it, but when you’re cruising there’s way less drone and it’s damn near silent. I say take them off for sure. If you don’t like the sound, just have them welded back on. I got mine removed for $60.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you block off the weep holes on resonators? If not try that first

Night Rebel

Reaction score
I did them a couple months ago. I think it sounds so much better. No coffee can resonated sound. Just the sound of the exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread