5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To buy or not to buy

TalleyHo

Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time with analysis paralysis over a 1500 vs a Tundra.

F*rd is not an option due to quality concerns.

The MDS/lifter issue, along with the broken header bolts and complexity/youthfulness of the eTorque, and the leaky rear window are the bright yellow [scary] flags. The media around the eTorque seems fairly positive, but it definitely adds complexity (and thus unreliability) to the system. I understand most posts are trying to fix a problem, so perhaps that's feeding in to the paranoia. I def plan on getting an extended warranty - my current one has paid for itself 3x over. But I'd rather not have to use it (if that makes sense).

On the plus side, discounts/offers are strong with Ram's right now. I prefer the styling and interior options. Laramie and Limited are my trims of choice. I'm looking for tow options since I'll tow a horse trailer occasionally. I want the 3.92 for the extra 3k# towing although in reality that's probably more than I need. I absolutely plan on putting a small 3" lift w/ 34+ tires. I'm mostly a pavement princess with a big trip (1500+miles)/year. There are TONS of upgrades to blow spare cash on.

So... is the paranoia valid? Are those problems above 1% of the vehicles, or 15% of the vehicles? Is the 5.7/MDS/VVT/eTorque going to get 150k+ miles w/ only minimal maintenance? I really _want_ to keep my vehicle 7+ years, but murphy and karma have had other plans. I *need* something reliable.

Thanks for indulging in my paranoia.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
to be fair, Tundras (the 5.7) has its share of problems and our shop has done at least 3 engine swaps for those 5.7 in the past 2 years. There's one more sitting at the shop waiting to be replaced.
The 5.7 Tundra also has a C channel frame instead of fully boxed frame. That would be a bigger red flag for me.

The V6T on the new ones are also problematic with wastegate, as well as the problem that plague all Toyota trucks: lack of power. Sure, when the truck's empty it will be fine, but when the truck's loaded then MPG drops down to be worse than Hemi and you won't have as much power to put on the ground as well.

Also Tundra has no discount and you can't order them the way you want. You HAVE TO buy what the dealer orders and have on the lot, and usually it has a long wait for the exact trim you want.

Personally i think the MDS/ Lifter issue is blown out of proportion. If the problem plagues every truck then there'd be no way Ram would be allowed to continue with that, given MDS hemi has been out for so long. The key is to reduce idle.
Broken header bolt is a quite easy fix: just go aftermarket. Again, not something that plagues every truck.
e-torque would be something of concern, personally. All electrical will fail and not last over mechanical. I'm pretty sure by that time (a few years later) there will be kits to eliminate e-torque for when it fails.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, you've covered a lot about the Ram. What does your research tell you about the Tundra? Opinions on any forum are always going to weigh to the positive, regardless of whether issues are posted there. If you are asking if you can get 150k and 7 good years out of a Ram, the answer is "Certainly". If you want someone to tell you there is a 100% chance you will get a problem free vehicle, that isn't likely. Like many here, I could have bought any truck I wanted. I bought the Ram for many reasons, and I haven't been disappointed. ymmv

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the leaky back window doesn't plague any 2022 or newer trucks. The manifold bolts I believe were upgraded for 2023 (Not 100% totally sure). So brand new you should be well covered. I had the leaky window twice (under warranty) until the latest part number which has gone over 2 years without issue. The manifold bolts on my drivers side went under warranty and the passenger side just went about 3K miles ago of course not under warranty. Haven't had any issues with the MDS lifters. The truck does not like dead 12V batteries at all.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the leaky back window doesn't plague any 2022 or newer trucks.
Thea leaking back window was NOT fixed for 2022.

Nice thing with eTorque is free alternator (generator) replacements for the first 8 years.

I think most car\trucks are problem free, no manufacture is perfect and I don't think OP can go wrong with Toyota or Ram as long as it meets their needs.

6of36

Reaction score
If you are hauling a horse trailer, don't get either. You need a Heavy Duty.

TalleyHo

Reaction score
I appreciate the perspectives.

Re the horse trailer, the limited times I haul is not worth the added expense/hassle of a diesel or 1/2 ton. My current turbo truck handles it quite well. Its a small 2-horse Daktoa - sub 10k#

I did learn last night that the package I'm looking for in the TRD is very rare in the Gulf States region. That explains why I haven't found many of them online.

Ram is definitley promoting incentives to move them. It is quite nice. I just got quotes back from my agent, and interesting the Laramie/Limited are more expensive than the TRD. Significantly. TRD is basically the same as my current F150, Laramie is +$30/6mo and the Limited is +$100/6mos

I understand nobody can guarantee any sort of mileage. I just don't know why I've been so unlucky in picking the last 2 lemons.

One frustration with the Ram is I'm having a hard time finding the 30+ gallon tank, and the 3.92 gears. Even ones that have a tow package have the 3.21. I think that is what also makes the Ram more difficult to chose - there are SO MANY options across various trim levels. And I'm too cheap to order exactly what I want - since I don't really know what I want. TRD makes it brain dead simple -- here's your 3 choices. :)

TBF I haven't put as much effort into the TRD research. I think subconsciously I know its a new platform, and will likely have above normal issues in the beginning. I think my hesitation on the Ram is b/c of the perceived complexity of the eco options.

I tried the "flip a coin" and see if I liked the result it landed on. I was still indifferent. Perhaps I should try that with a drink in hand next time.

Thanks for listening and the responses. Sometimes it helps to just write it down.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can order your Ram from Mark Dodge and order what features you want, and pay less then anything you find on a lot nearby for sure.

The trims for Ram just make options standard items. You can load up a Laramie to have almost every option a Limited has for example (and be the same price)

Jmac509

Reaction score
For me the decision was made in the test drive. When I compared the Ram and the Tundra it seemed like overall the Tundra was a safer bet. However when I drove them both I felt that the potential risk of more headaches was worth having a vehicle I enjoyed more to drive every day.

I would think it's the same way if you were considering buying a Toyota Camry vs a Bmw or Audi.

Which one do you like driving more? Can you tolerate more potential repairs over the life of the vehicle? From a logic stand point I think the Toyota products are hard to beat.

Jako

Reaction score
For me the decision was made in the test drive. When I compared the Ram and the Tundra it seemed like overall the Tundra was a safer bet. However when I drove them both I felt that the potential risk of more headaches was worth having a vehicle I enjoyed more to drive every day.

I would think it's the same way if you were considering buying a Toyota Camry vs a Bmw or Audi.

Which one do you like driving more? Can you tolerate more potential repairs over the life of the vehicle? From a logic stand point I think the Toyota products are hard to beat.
Well said. I ride BMW motorcycles "Bring My Wallet, Big Money on Wheels" and have reached the same conclusion.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding the 30+ gallon tank, and the 3.92 gears
Those options are sold-order only, meaning dealers cant get them in to sit on their lots, but you can order one for yourself still.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
I had my 15 Tundra SR5 for 4 years and traded it in for my 19 Ram Rebel that I've had for 4 years now. I don't have a bad thing to say about either one, but still love my Ram and its not going anywhere. I can't vouch for the new Tundra though. I really think in some cases its how you drive it. I have friends that drive like a idiot and have issues and then I'm over here driving like a grandpa and have no issues (knock on wood)

Quint

Reaction score
...and then I'm over here driving like a grandpa and have no issues (knock on wood)
I used to have mechanics give me grief about driving like a grandpa. They told me that I wasn't pushing the engine through the RPM range enough. Eventually I just let my wife drive it occasionally and that problem is then solved. :D

OutlawHemi22

Reaction score
So I was in this position a little over a year ago. It was between a Ram Limited and Tundra Platinum. I work for Chrysler and my wife, ex now, works for Toyota. Was able to drive both trucks with the options I wanted. When it came to price I was looking at $690/month for the Ram and $880 for the Tundra to purchase, not lease. The trucks stickered within a few thousand of each other. My employee discount was what made the big difference in monthly payment. Obviously ended up getting the Ram and after a few months wished I had got the Tundra. I don’t see as many Tundras on the road and everywhere I look I see a Ram. In the plant parking lot every other vehicle is a Ram. Hate having the me too truck.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
So I was in this position a little over a year ago. It was between a Ram Limited and Tundra Platinum. I work for Chrysler and my wife, ex now, works for Toyota. Was able to drive both trucks with the options I wanted. When it came to price I was looking at $690/month for the Ram and $880 for the Tundra to purchase, not lease. The trucks stickered within a few thousand of each other. My employee discount was what made the big difference in monthly payment. Obviously ended up getting the Ram and after a few months wished I had got the Tundra. I don’t see as many Tundras on the road and everywhere I look I see a Ram. In the plant parking lot every other vehicle is a Ram. Hate having the me too truck.
Because the Ram is quite simply the better truck.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time with analysis paralysis over a 1500 vs a Tundra.

F*rd is not an option due to quality concerns.

The MDS/lifter issue, along with the broken header bolts and complexity/youthfulness of the eTorque, and the leaky rear window are the bright yellow [scary] flags. The media around the eTorque seems fairly positive, but it definitely adds complexity (and thus unreliability) to the system. I understand most posts are trying to fix a problem, so perhaps that's feeding in to the paranoia. I def plan on getting an extended warranty - my current one has paid for itself 3x over. But I'd rather not have to use it (if that makes sense).

On the plus side, discounts/offers are strong with Ram's right now. I prefer the styling and interior options. Laramie and Limited are my trims of choice. I'm looking for tow options since I'll tow a horse trailer occasionally. I want the 3.92 for the extra 3k# towing although in reality that's probably more than I need. I absolutely plan on putting a small 3" lift w/ 34+ tires. I'm mostly a pavement princess with a big trip (1500+miles)/year. There are TONS of upgrades to blow spare cash on.

So... is the paranoia valid? Are those problems above 1% of the vehicles, or 15% of the vehicles? Is the 5.7/MDS/VVT/eTorque going to get 150k+ miles w/ only minimal maintenance? I really _want_ to keep my vehicle 7+ years, but murphy and karma have had other plans. I *need* something reliable.

Thanks for indulging in my paranoia.

As others have said, eTorque is a GREAT engine. Put over 55K so far and ZERO issues with my eTorque Hemi. You can order what you want from Anthony Boi here on the forum (Mark Dodge) and get 12.5% off MSRP (dealer discount), 1% additional tread lightly discount plus incentives available when you order that are lockable or ones in place when you pick-up. Ram is a far better truck than the Tundra. As for reliability, see below.

“J.D.Power gave the 2022 Ram 1500 a score of 86 out of 100 for reliability. The Toyota Tundra has a score of 70 out of 100.Mar 12, 2023”

HemiDude

Reaction score
Those options are sold-order only, meaning dealers cant get them in to sit on their lots, but you can order one for yourself still.
That must have changed since I bought mine. The dealer I bought mine from had at least 2 Rams with the 33/3.92 combo on his lot. I was only looking at GTs so I don't know if any others had them, but these 2 were not sold orders.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That must have changed since I bought mine. The dealer I bought mine from had at least 2 Rams with the 33/3.92 combo on his lot. I was only looking at GTs so I don't know if any others had them, but these 2 were not sold orders.
3.92 gears is part of the GT package not an option.

Users who are viewing this thread