5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To buy or not to buy?

Tegguy

Reaction score
I know this question is going to be a lot of personal preferences and individual choices but I'd like to get some peoples feelings and what they would do (or regret doing).

So the situation... I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 8' Bed 5.7 with 67,000 miles on it. I've owned the truck since 2008 and bought it with 19,000 miles. The truck is in really good shape with only a few cosmetic issues but is starting to show it's age. Stuff like
- Headliner is starting to come off in a spot
- Passenger sun visor broke and won't stay up anymore and drivers is getting close
- a few mechanical things like the wiper motor intermittent feature working sometimes, few rattles, blower motor starting to go out, ect

My wife and I both work at the same place so we drive our 2012 Durango as the primary vehicle. It has 114,000 miles on it but it has the Mopar Maxcare lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on it. We plan to probably replace the Durango in around 4-5 years or so.

Given the age of the truck we're starting to wonder about it's reliability. It's never left us stranded and the only real major thing we've had go wrong is a cracked fuel vent (knock on wood). We are debating do we replace the truck now and get something with a warranty a little newer to try to avoid possibly having 2 car payments down the road when we go to replace the Durango. Also interest rates are still low. Also with a car seat in a quad cab it's a little tight and I feel like my son's feet are into my seat.

Now that all that is said the truck we'd be looking at would be a 2020 or 2021 1500 (Ecodisel or Etorque) or 2500 (cummins) limited. We don't tow much but do sometimes and most frequently would be a 1972 Chevelle with a Uhaul trailer or something similar. I've had a couple times I've needed to tow a small bobcat but my current truck couldn't do it.

Right now these trucks are advertised between 55K and 75K (may more expensive than the last time I bought a truck) depending on which one you get.

So question/poll..... If this were you would you buy a new one now or keep the current truck and see how long it lasts? Also I'm struggling between the 1500 and 2500 and not sure what the best option would be.

Thanks

Last edited:

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Considering you said you don’t tow much that answered your question far as 1500/2500. You don’t need the 2500 (higher up keep). The 1500 3.9 gears should be more than enough to handle your towing needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vilas15

Reaction score
You say you're looking at a limited. Beware the low payload of the limited with all the bells and whistles. Look at the numbers vs what you really plan to use it for.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sounds like money isn't a factor. So get a new one, you got a lot of use out of the 2004. A 2020 will be cheaper than a 2021 and there is still some 2020 inventory around, especially in Laramie trim.

You don't need a 2500 for what you tow. Get a 1500 with the 3.92 gears and 33 gal tank. Or at least the 26 gal tank, but those are harder to find than 33 and I think require either BH or Laramie Level 2 Equipment Group. Also, get the regular non-etorque HEMI since you keep your vehicles 10+ years.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 19 Laramie with the himi etorque 3:92 gears. I just have a big pop up camper that I pull 10-12 times a year. I do pull in some hills in north east Iowa. I can tell you it’s the best pulling 1/2 ton I’ve ever driven. No hesitation, you step down and it goes, much better then the 5.3 Silverado’s I’ve had. I did order a new 2021 with 3:21 gears as ram is buying my 19 back! I hope that was not a mistake? But like I said I only pull a few times a year. The mpg drops a lot with the 3:92 gears over 60-65!! But the performance is great. I’ve seen others post on here, that have had both that don’t really notice much difference between the 3:92 and 3:21. Good luck with whatever you decide. I love this truck just not the problems I have had. But as I read reviews on all trucks, they all have issues🤷🏻‍♂️

Tegguy

Reaction score
It sounds like money isn't a factor. So get a new one, you got a lot of use out of the 2004. A 2020 will be cheaper than a 2021 and there is still some 2020 inventory around, especially in Laramie trim.

You don't need a 2500 for what you tow. Get a 1500 with the 3.92 gears and 33 gal tank. Or at least the 26 gal tank, but those are harder to find than 33 and I think require either BH or Laramie Level 2 Equipment Group. Also, get the regular non-etorque HEMI since you keep your vehicles 10+ years.
Do you recommend the regular Hemi over the etorque just because the battery life?

You say you're looking at a limited. Beware the low payload of the limited with all the bells and whistles. Look at the numbers vs what you really plan to use it for.
Do you have any numbers? Rams website was showing up around 11K towing capacity on the 1500 eTorque.

I know I don't need the 2500 but that's kinda like the dream truck.

NTX_Ian

Reaction score
Only you can answer the timing question. As for what truck, a gas motor should do you fine. With the tiny amount of driving you do, you will have nothing but problems going with a diesel truck and all of their epa add one.

What’s the tongue and total weight of the bobcat and trailer combo? There is not much price difference between a 1500 5.7 and 2500 6.4.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you recommend the regular Hemi over the etorque just because the battery life?

Do you have any numbers? Rams website was showing up around 11K towing capacity on the 1500 eTorque.

I know I don't need the 2500 but that's kinda like the dream truck.
I like the etorque and that’s what I ordered on my 2021. Lots of people complain that the breaks are hard to get used to, I love the breaks with the etorque! Etorque helps with take off when pulling, I really like that. Also I believe the etorque system has a 8 year warranty?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only you can answer the timing question. As for what truck, a gas motor should do you fine. With the tiny amount of driving you do, you will have nothing but problems going with a diesel truck and all of their epa add one.

What’s the tongue and total weight of the bobcat and trailer combo? There is not much price difference between a 1500 5.7 and 2500 6.4.
I agree with staying with the hemi ! It’s great! I know people who had nothing but problems with that eco diesel!

Tegguy

Reaction score

Honestly I think the reason we don't take the truck more is the modern comviences that make driving the Durango nicer (blind spot, backup camera, ect). That and the truck is way long.

The Cummins engine is really the part of the dream truck :)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this question is going to be a lot of personal preferences and individual choices but I'd like to get some peoples feelings and what they would do (or regret doing).

So the situation... I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 8' Bed 5.7 with 67,000 miles on it. I've owned the truck since 2008 and bought it with 19,000 miles. The truck is in really good shape with only a few cosmetic issues but is starting to show it's age. Stuff like
- Headliner is starting to come off in a spot
- Passenger sun visor broke and won't stay up anymore and drivers is getting close
- a few mechanical things like the wiper motor intermittent feature working sometimes, few rattles, blower motor starting to go out, ect

My wife and I both work at the same place so we drive our 2012 Durango as the primary vehicle. It has 114,000 miles on it but it has the Mopar Maxcare lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on it. We plan to probably replace the Durango in around 4-5 years or so.

Given the age of the truck we're starting to wonder about it's reliability. It's never left us stranded and the only real major thing we've had go wrong is a cracked fuel vent (knock on wood). We are debating do we replace the truck now and get something with a warranty a little newer to try to avoid possibly having 2 car payments down the road when we go to replace the Durango. Also interest rates are still low. Also with a car seat in a quad cab it's a little tight and I feel like my son's feet are into my seat.

Now that all that is said the truck we'd be looking at would be a 2020 or 2021 1500 (Ecodisel or Etorque) or 2500 (cummins) limited. We don't tow much but do sometimes and most frequently would be a 1972 Chevelle with a Uhaul trailer or something similar. I've had a couple times I've needed to tow a small bobcat but my current truck couldn't do it.

Right now these trucks are advertised between 55K and 75K (may more expensive than the last time I bought a truck) depending on which one you get.

So question/poll..... If this were you would you buy a new one now or keep the current truck and see how long it lasts? Also I'm struggling between the 1500 and 2500 and not sure what the best option would be.

Thanks
2020 Laramie, Longhorn or optioned Bighorn 1500 Etorque would be my vote. Limited is nice but pure luxery from what I've seen. 3.92 gearing would help plenty with the towing aspect. Even though your Ram only has 69k miles...at 16 years old eventually you'll be pouring more $ into it. Mine as well put that money into a new updated RAM.

19ORG

Reaction score
I just sold my ‘04 quad cab. Really loved the truck but at 16 years old and with 198k miles, I was in a similar situation, trying to figure out how long it was going to be before it would take more money than it was worth. The used truck market seemed to be pretty hot (at least around here) and I sold it in 5 days around KBB fair price (when it was somewhere between fair and good). My two cents may sound obvious, but with a running truck and you keep vehicles for awhile, only do it if you can find the truck specced the way you want at the right price. No need to rush into it (not saying that you are) and patience will pay off.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Etorque is more to go wrong. In some states it may be part of emissions warranty, in WI it is just powertrain. I have had my etorque 2.5 months and am just now getting used to the driving (braking) characteristics of it. Wish I got the regular hemi, but this truck is what they had and I went for it because of the great deal I got.

If your current truck is too long, a 2500 is longer. Only you can decide if getting the dream truck is worth it. Capability wise, and considering how long you keep vehicles, a regular hemi 1500 with 3.92 and ideally larger tank would work great.

Tegguy

Reaction score
What about regrets? Any features you wish you had or didn't have? For me I'm struggling with the rambox and multifunction tailgate.

I'm worried about bed area because I've been spoiled with my 8 foot bed and I'm scared 5'4" will get annoying. Currently if I wanna haul an 8' sheet of plywood it's no problem throw it in the bed close the gate and go

Rexx

Reaction score
If you can find a 2020 on the lot and get a good price on it, I’d say pull the trigger. Otherwise I’d probably wait because the incentives on new trucks right now are nowhere near as good as they were pre-covid.

I have a Limited and love it, but as others have pointed out, all the bells and whistles really cut into the payload. My trucks payload is right around 1050lbs.

To answer your Ramboxes and Multifunction Tailgate question (MFT). Hands down get the MFT if you use the bed of your truck a fair amount. It’s super convenient. I’d say 95% of the time I open my tailgate barn door style. I also have the Ramboxes and love them because I frequently put groceries or whatever else in them, but they do take up some of the bed space so they depend more on how you intend to use the truck.

Tegguy

Reaction score
If you can find a 2020 on the lot and get a good price on it, I’d say pull the trigger. Otherwise I’d probably wait because the incentives on new trucks right now are nowhere near as good as they were pre-covid.
Even with the "employee pricing" going on now? I haven't noticed much price delta from the 20 to 21 trucks to be honest

So the only think I can think of for the rambox now is all my tie down straps that are under my back seat in the current truck. But I didnt think about groceries and stuff

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve placed plenty sheets of 4x8 drywall in the bed of my limited with no issues. You’re just not going to close the tailgate. I have a bed extender that folds into my bed. It really helps with longer loads, but also adds the convenience of loading items like groceries into my bed without having them slide to the front. It’s the setup I wanted.

Rexx

Reaction score
Even with the "employee pricing" going on now? I haven't noticed much price delta from the 20 to 21 trucks to be honest

So the only think I can think of for the rambox now is all my tie down straps that are under my back seat in the current truck. But I didnt think about groceries and stuff

The employee pricing going on now isn’t as good as the deals pre covid. Having said that, if you want a truck now, get one, as who knows how long covid is going to effect the market. It might be another year or two before we sees incentives as good as pre covid ones.

And Ramboxes are super convenient, but some people don’t like them. Most people who have them seem to love them. There’s a few threads on here floating around about them if you search.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen a few f I lost suggesting a 2020 vs 2021 for better deals but want to point out that is a complex question. If you're buying from dealer stock they may want to deal on a 2020 to get it off the lot but if they don't seem motivated to move the 2020's the actual msrp is sometimes lower on a 2021 than a 2020 depending on trim and options. I was pricing crew cab 6.4 box Laramie 4x4 with level 2 and advanced safety plus a few other options and the 2021 had an msrp like 2,000 lower than the same 2020!

Tegguy

Reaction score
Well just wanted to follow up.... The wife and I went to one of the local dealers and looked at a 2021 limited and it had everything except the rambox. After looking a little closer we have decided we want the rambox and unforuntatly there isn't a limited around here that checks all the boxes.

The Laramie option was thrown out there but I don't understand the differences between the limited and the laramie nor what we might have to give up to get the laramie. Can anyone help out?

Also limited or laramie what does the black appearance package do?

Users who are viewing this thread