5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tires for my wife's 2018 Cherokee

rlc2020

Reaction score
Not a ram, I know, but I need help in making a decision on tires for my wife's Cherokee KL 4x4 and I didn't want to join another forum just for this one answer. ( I already spend enough time on this one and others I'm a part of). It is never taken offroad, she commutes about 40miles each way for work which is why we need tires already after only a year and a half. It came with firestone destination le2 on it, size 225/65-17. I have always liked firestone, but these are worn down to 3/32 after only 32k miles. Not exactly long life if you ask me.

The most important factor in these tires would be all season capability (we are in new england) and that they will last for 40k miles plus at the minimum.
I'm debating on going expensive with Michelin Defender T+H around $700 installed, or just get some cheap one's on there and figure the $/mile will be okay.

Anyone tried the goodyear viva? those are cheap at Wal Mart, about $100 / tire less than the other brands

Thanks!

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Do you use winter tires or the all-season tires year-round?

Costco has $110 off on Michelin through 10/1. The Premier LTX is $664 installed. The X Tour A/S T + H $656 installed. I have the Premiers on my QX56, but use a winter tire from December to March.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks like you don't have many A/T tire choices in that size really; plus it would cost you more (and be heavy) if you could find some. The Firestone Destination is a SUV/Truck tire, but it is more of a Touring design. If I was in your shoes, I would buy the Continental Cross Contact LX20 as a first choice. If I wanted to save a little money, my second choice would be General Altimax RT43. Michelin Tires are very good; but I don't buy them because I can usually find a tire that is 20 to 50 dollars less and just as good.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I plan on using 1 set of all seasons year round. She is a teacher so if the snow is really bad she wont have to go in anyway, 90% of the time the car lives on the highway so rain/dry conditions are the majority. I would love to throw something rugged on there, but the decrease in mileage and noise on the highway aren't worth it for her. I haven't bought tires in a few years, but my god, there are so many choices now!

Basically, the choices are for around $400 out the door I can get cheapo tires from wal mart, or spend about $650-$750 for some name brand tires. Is it worth the money?

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would think the more expensive tires would be safer especially since your wife drives mostly on the highway. However, I'm sure there are people out there who would argue that point.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Ran the defenders on my 2wd F-150 and never had a problem in winter, and we got bombed with snow in the Midwest last winter.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Defenders will provide good traction and last a long time, other then that the Continental Cross Contact and General Altimax would be my next choices.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I would think the more expensive tires would be safer especially since your wife drives mostly on the highway. However, I'm sure there are people out there who would argue that point.

I'd agree. The Premier LTX is a newer version of the Latitude HP that came standard on the QX56, a relatively high end SUV in its day. My own experience is they are silent, good handling, and good in rain. I don't have winter experience with them because we change tires. Their TW isn't the absolute highest, but isn't the biggest factor with us. Safety, handling, comfort are.

And they are on sale at Costco for $165/tire installed.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Probably leaning towards the defenders based on price and availability. Still a few weeks away from pulling the trigger. I'll post when I get them installed.

Tilter

Reaction score

I put my wife in these - they are good all-around, like them a lot in rain and are fantastic in snow (they have the snowflake symbol). Their service is the best I've ever seen. These are the tires the Michigan State police run year-round which is a great testimonial.

swarggs

Reaction score
My wife has a nearly identical commute and profession. Her old Mazda CX-5 did very well with the Continental TrueContact in the same size as you are looking for. We live in a much higher elevation than her work so she often has to drive in winter condition because her base school didn't require a snow day. The Continentals did well in those conditions too while still keeping her mpg up. Her current CX-5 has 19's and the Continentals did not last long. 11 months / less than 20k miles. We were not pleased especially at $700 a set before installation. We switched to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 and have been very happy. Same reliability and mpg as the Continentals but estimating they'll last more than twice the mileage.

Last edited:

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife has a nearly identical commute and profession. Her old Mazda CX-5 did very well with the Continental TrueContact in the same size as you are looking for. We live in a much higher elevation than her work so she often has to drive in winter condition because her base school didn't require a snow day. The Continentals did well in those conditions too while still keeping her mpg up. Her current CX-5 has 19's and the Continentals did not last long. 11 months / less than 20k miles. We were not pleased especially at $700 a set before installation. We switched to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 and have been very pleased. Same reliability and mpg as the Continentals but estimating they'll last more than twice the mileage.
The True Contact is a great tire; but they do wear very quickly. Supposedly, Continental has fixed that problem and released the new True Contact Tour as its replacement.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have Continental in 275/55/20 fitment on my wife’s Ram and I can definitely attest to the fact they wear real quick lol. I usually swap tires out e wry 6 months so that wasn’t an issue for me. I also had the Michelin Defenders and they were horrible in the snow. :(

rlc2020

Reaction score
Just to give an update: I ended up putting Firestone Destination le2's back on it. Firestone did the right thing and covered the tires at 50% off and did not charge mounting, balancing, disposal, etc because they failed with only 34k miles on them and only being a year and a half old.

So, for around $350 out the door I have new tires on it. They explained that the OEM tires that come on new vehicles are made with less tread depth and do NOT come with a treadlife warranty. They were very nice though and took care of it for me as a courtesy. I can't recommend Firestone enough for standing by their product even though it was an oem tire that I did not buy from them.

Users who are viewing this thread