5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tires dont feel fully planted?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im not 100% sure when it started happening but for the past... id say... 5k miles i been noticing when i hit a bump or going over multiple small bumps in the road around 50+mph i notice after the initial "hop", as the truck descend it feels slippery? like my tires arent fully planted or something of that nature, could my suspension be shot already?
I have been experiencing what you are describing for the last 2 weeks, recently change tires to the general grabber atx but I am sure I didn't notice this the first few weeks.
I did think about lowering the psi, currently also at 42 as per the tire shop recommendation to keep it between 40-45 but I do remember I did question this since the door stickers say in the 35 I think. Checking this over the weekend - I alternate/carpool between 2 vehicles which helps keep my miles down, so not driving the truck this week
My other option was as others mentioned change the rear shocks.
I think we are expecting a dry winter here in Cali but I still want to take care of this before it starts raining

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The door sticker is for the Oem tire pressure. You changed tires and most likely tire ratings. Listen to your shop, as lowering the pressure on a higher rated tire will only worsen things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The door sticker is for the Oem tire pressure. You changed tires and most likely tire ratings. Listen to your shop, as lowering the pressure on a higher rated tire will only worsen things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yea thanks for the advise and was planning on doing some research on it, yea for sure my tire rating change and I do trust the shop but I also like to look into things and hopefully come with a satisfactory answer or solution. the forum is great for input, and some members go out of their way to provide some facts and articles, etc.
my issue was not super bad but it did make me wonder if it would get dangerous in a wet condition.

Jack.

Reaction score
I have been experiencing what you are describing for the last 2 weeks, recently change tires to the general grabber atx but I am sure I didn't notice this the first few weeks.
I did think about lowering the psi, currently also at 42 as per the tire shop recommendation to keep it between 40-45 but I do remember I did question this since the door stickers say in the 35 I think. Checking this over the weekend - I alternate/carpool between 2 vehicles which helps keep my miles down, so not driving the truck this week
My other option was as others mentioned change the rear shocks.
I think we are expecting a dry winter here in Cali but I still want to take care of this before it starts raining
Yeah i havnt had a chance to retest it because i got my truck in the shop getting some work done til tmorrow but once i get it back i will be lowering my psi down to 37/38 cold and see how everything plays out, will also chalk test it as well to make sure. Im running the after market falken wildpeak at3w @ LT285/65/r18 so we will see how it goes once i lower my psi from 41/42 > 37/38.

Hunt2687

Reaction score
Im not 100% sure when it started happening but for the past... id say... 5k miles i been noticing when i hit a bump or going over multiple small bumps in the road around 50+mph i notice after the initial "hop", as the truck descend it feels slippery? like my tires arent fully planted or something of that nature, could my suspension be shot already?
Mine kicks out like that too, mainly when I hit a patch of washboards on a gravel road, but sometimes the back end gets loose on a good bump on the highway. Not dangerous loose but it wakes you up. Gotta be junk factory shocks on the 5th gens, my ‘11 never did it. I’ve got a 2020 1500 Big Horn Off-road package and it did it with stock tires at recommended pressure and the 10 plys on it now at normal and higher pressure.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My door jam says 40 psi for all 4 tires haha.

Yeah im going to reduce it tonight and double check it tomorrow when I commute
My 2019 says 32 all around for the Falkens, which is pretty soft for a heavy truck. I run 35-40 most of the time for a bit better handling, economy, and tire wear.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah i havnt had a chance to retest it because i got my truck in the shop getting some work done til tmorrow but once i get it back i will be lowering my psi down to 37/38 cold and see how everything plays out, will also chalk test it as well to make sure. Im running the after market falken wildpeak at3w @ LT285/65/r18 so we will see how it goes once i lower my psi from 41/42 > 37/38.
When people play with lowering air pressure it’s essentially masking what your suspension is doing. If you lower air pressure, your tire absorbs more force (sidewall deflection) before a the air pressure resists and transfers the force through the suspension. When you put more air in, it resists earlier and there is less sidewall deflection, causing the suspension to handle more of the force. No matter what you do, you still have the same underlying issue- you may just feel it less.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When people play with lowering air pressure it’s essentially masking what your suspension is doing. If you lower air pressure, your tire absorbs more force (sidewall deflection) before a the air pressure resists and transfers the force through the suspension. When you put more air in, it resists earlier and there is less sidewall deflection, causing the suspension to handle more of the force. No matter what you do, you still have the same underlying issue- you may just feel it less.
Well these trucks are completely under dampened from the factory for the soft ride. Hitting multiple imperfections in the road will definitely give you that feeling he is describing. Looks like it's time for some Eibach shocks lol

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well these trucks are completely under dampened from the factory for the soft ride. Hitting multiple imperfections in the road will definitely give you that feeling he is describing. Looks like it's time for some Eibach shocks lol
Yep, that’s exactly what I was describing with the tire comment was that he’s hiding it a little by lowering tire pressure. He’ll find that it is worst when he maxes out the cold pressure.

i’m not really sure if I got my point across. Do you think I need to re-explain that?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, that’s exactly what I was describing with the tire comment was that he’s hiding it a little by lowering tire pressure. He’ll find that it is worst when he maxes out the cold pressure.

i’m not really sure if I got my point across. Do you think I need to re-explain that?
Nah, I think everyone will understand after these posts :D

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What kind of tires do you have on it?
275/60r20 general grabber atx.
Stock were 275/55r20 falken wildpeaks
Mine kicks out like that too, mainly when I hit a patch of washboards on a gravel road, but sometimes the back end gets loose on a good bump on the highway. Not dangerous loose but it wakes you up. Gotta be junk factory shocks on the 5th gens, my ‘11 never did it. I’ve got a 2020 1500 Big Horn Off-road package and it did it with stock tires at recommended pressure and the 10 plys on it now at normal and higher pressure.

My 2019 says 32 all around for the Falkens, which is pretty soft for a heavy truck. I run 35-40 most of the time for a bit better handling, economy, and tire wear.
same here 32 for the falkens, did the chart to calculate psi on the new tires general grabber atx and its saying 40. And I see why the shop recommended to stay between 40-45.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have seen others in the forum talk about how if you lower the psi a bit you might get a more comfort ride or something to that effect, which seems to be doing what you just said. masking the issue. For some that is enough, others I seen attack the issue and change the rear shocks.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nah, I think everyone will understand after these posts :D
agree I am good here, but in my case I did find it odd that I felt it after changing to the new tires but not right away and not with the stock tires - maybe tires are to new need time to break in - lol 😅- this is from the general website - got under 500 miles on the new tires
"New tires have to be driven a few hundred miles on dry roads to rid the tread of parting agents and antioxidants applied during production. Not until the tread has been slightly roughened will the tire be able to make its true gripping power felt.
What's more, flooring it and slamming on the brakes can cause tire/rim slip in the first few hundred miles of tire use. That's because the lubricant used in mounting the tire has an initial tendency to reduce the adherence of these two parts.
You are thus well advised to exercise care with new tires. And keep in mind that winter tires fresh out of the factory will need a bit of time to attain full winter suitability"

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am gonna give mine more miles before taking any action

Jack.

Reaction score
Got my truck back and double check everything. Def seem like I need to upgrade the shocks 😩

Another Money Pit

Reaction score

Lol. Try explaining the Chalk test. Lol. That will blow their minds

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol. Try explaining the Chalk test. Lol. That will blow their minds
I think it comes down to choice, $, your own comfort level
plenty of people keep their truck stock
plenty people play with their psi - it might not be the best route or solve the issue but its free to try
then yea plenty of people want it better and have the $ to improve an already 60k + truck - lol - I still can't believe I pulled the trigger, I swore I would never spend this kind of money on any car - my 4 gen 2017 was 27k + 3k in wheel/tires, and other aftermarket accessories.
this is a great forum, free advise, ideas to customized your truck, etc(y)

Users who are viewing this thread