5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Weight Question

DSN46

Reaction score
So I'm contemplating ditching the factory Duratracs for larger (285/75-18) Falken AT3W's. 33.4" vs 34.8" tire.... the problem I have is that the Duratrac weighs 54 lbs and the AT3W weighs 66 lbs. 12 lbs MORE rotational weight at each corner. Can anyone who has moved up to larger Load Range E tires with 10 - 12 lbs more weight tell me if you regretted it? Were there any down-sides to your move? That's a lot of heavy rubber that may be super overkill for this 1/2 ton truck.
Thank you for any experiences you can share. :)

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The AT3W's are awesome tires; but they are quite heavy even when compared to other tires of the same brand. I went the big, heavy 35 x 12 tires on another 1/2 ton I had. It looked very cool; but the ride sucked. I really wanted to do this truck up with a lift and some big tires; but they really do kill the ride. So, I let the logical side of me decide and I just went with stock suspension and 275/60R20 (33") p-rated tires for a little better look.

Users who are viewing this thread