5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Upgrade

Rightside

Reaction score
Have a 23 with Hemi and 3.21 rear. I want to upgrade to 275/60/20 tires that weigh about 10lbs more than the 275/55/20 OEM Bridgestones. OEM's weigh 38lbs and the General AT's I want are 48-49. Anyone made a similar move? I would purchase the alpa device to corrected the tire size. How much of a MPG hit? What about performance? I have when trucks search for gears running down the highway at 70+. Came from a 17' with the Ecodiesel and ran 275/60/20 Ridge Grapplers (47lbs) with minimal issue. Ram went with a smaller tire on the 5th Gen. Maybe I should stay with OEM size?

What is everyone's experience?

PatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
I went to 275/60/20, but stayed with SL (Falken Wildpeak AT3W), so didn't take much of a weight penalty (~2 lb per corner). Do you need the XL or LT for your truck? I'm also seeing around 44lb for most H/T style tires, and 46-50 for A/T.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
everything in my bio. but i went from 18-19mpg to 15-16mpg instantly when switching tires and leveling.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
realize i barley answered like an idiot, sorry. but performance the turning radius seem like it isnt as good anymore but not too bad. however driving wise feels perfect still. the whole "hunting gears" for whatever reason.. i have read so much that this happens and i have NO idea why b.c my truck doesnt hunt at all. if im on incline ill stay in 7th. if flat or decline i stay in 8th. then again i also got my speedo calibrated and i know many dont so could be an issue? not sure but i never had an issue and would highly recommend recalibrating and you should be fine.

E.Hands

Reaction score
I will happily go back with another set of these when the time comes: Falken Rubitrek in 275/60/20.
I did not recalibrate. Still get good MPG. Speedo appears to off by no more than 2 MPH at the most.
Bilstein 4600 rear shocks and a Hellwig anti-sway bar are easy DIY and money well spent too.

1710876098902.png

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure the jump in size is enough for a major impact to your mpg or performance. Now if you added a 6" lift at the same time, sure mpg will tank.

That said, if your primary concern is weight, look at the Bridgestone Dueler Revo3 or Firestone Destination A/T in any given size to find the lightest options in the AT segment.

I went up to 295/70/18s and noticed no change in mpg or performance from 275/70/18's - which were themselves upsized 1" from stock.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure the jump in size is enough for a major impact to your mpg or performance. Now if you added a 6" lift at the same time, sure mpg will tank.

That said, if your primary concern is weight, look at the Bridgestone Dueler Revo3 or Firestone Destination A/T in any given size to find the lightest options in the AT segment.

I went up to 295/70/18s and noticed no change in mpg or performance from 275/70/18's - which were themselves upsized 1" from stock.
The Firestone is pretty good. I had them last. I dropped 1mpg going to Goodyear Duratracs.

I had the Bridgestone Rev3 on my Nissan and they were great. They don't come full size (35s) though, just little mini tires.

Rightside

Reaction score
I will happily go back with another set of these when the time comes: Falken Rubitrek in 275/60/20.
I did not recalibrate. Still get good MPG. Speedo appears to off by no more than 2 MPH at the most.
Bilstein 4600 rear shocks and a Hellwig anti-sway bar are easy DIY and money well spent too.

View attachment 179438
I am considering this exact tire as well. How is the noise?

Rightside

Reaction score

About how much weight more for each tire? In my experience, it’s the weight more than the size that kills performance, mileage and causes the “gear hunting” Appreciate the help.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
About how much weight more for each tire? In my experience, it’s the weight more than the size that kills performance, mileage and causes the “gear hunting” Appreciate the help.
Agreed on weight, which is why I found those options and went the the Revo3. Actually lost 2 lbs/tire vs. smaller stock size Duratracs (55 lbs vs 57 lbs).
However stock non-rebel tires should be closer to 40lbs, so still a good weight gain there.

Users who are viewing this thread