5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Selection Help - Yokohama Geolander vs Falken Wildpeak

CJW

Reaction score
So it's time for new tires. I drive a 2019 Crew Cab Laramie Black with 285/45R22 tires and the 3.92 rear end. Truck pretty much looks exactly like this except I have running boards.

I live in Maine and drive primarily in-town and highway, so snow/wet performance is also important. I don't do any actual off-road driving. Closest I get to off road driving would essentially just be poorly maintained dirt roads.

I had originally settled on the Yokohama Geolandar AT G105, but I just had to do one more search and I stumbled across a few more and now I'm considering the Falken Wildpeak AT3WA. Some reports say the Falken is better in snow and a few links down there's someone saying the Yokohama is better.

Which is true? Do any of you have experience with either? Ideally both? I'm open to any feedback people have or suggestions for other tires that I'm not considerring and should. (Others that were in the running were the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and the Michelin Defender LTX M+S.)

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Yoko G015’s in 285/65/20. I got them in November and haven’t had any snow yet here in PA. Hopefully this weekend. But as far as rain, the Geo’s perform amazingly. And are super grippy, even in fresh slick rain. By far my favorite tire to date. I had 275/60/20 Wildpeak AT3W’s on my 4th Gen. they were very good tires as well but did not wear very well. Only got about 25kish miles on two different sets. I went with the Geo’s this time because I read a lot of reviews claiming they are almost better in the rain then on dry pavement. I am beyond pleased with my selection and would recommend them highly. IMG_9914.jpeg IMG_9539.jpeg IMG_9744.jpeg

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
So it's time for new tires. I drive a 2019 Crew Cab Laramie Black with 285/45R22 tires and the 3.92 rear end. Truck pretty much looks exactly like this except I have running boards.

I live in Maine and drive primarily in-town and highway, so snow/wet performance is also important. I don't do any actual off-road driving. Closest I get to off road driving would essentially just be poorly maintained dirt roads.

I had originally settled on the Yokohama Geolandar AT G105, but I just had to do one more search and I stumbled across a few more and now I'm considering the Falken Wildpeak AT3WA. Some reports say the Falken is better in snow and a few links down there's someone saying the Yokohama is better.

Which is true? Do any of you have experience with either? Ideally both? I'm open to any feedback people have or suggestions for other tires that I'm not considerring and should. (Others that were in the running were the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and the Michelin Defender LTX M+S.)
I have experience with both. Currently using the Falkens as my primary winter set up. My personal opinion is you can't go wrong with either as performance wise I couldn't tell you one or the other was "better" but the deciding factor for me was getting a great price on my tires. My driving was (I barely drive these days) mostly winter highways. Lived in the Northwest Territories (Polar bear plates) and frequently made 2500km round trips to Alberta. Both handled well but if you hit ice there's no tire out there that will save you, unless you're studded but even then... I've also gone off-road with both in deep snow and that's where I'd give a slight edge to the Falkens. Slight edge to the Yoko's for less road noise. Otherwise as I said, you can't go wrong with either.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Falken is currently changing over to the Wildpeak AT4W.
Check The Tire Rack..they are discounting the AT3Ws and have the AT4Ws in stock (no pictures though).

runamuck

Reaction score
I had the Falken wildpeaks on my '19 laramie 4x4 and they were great. nice and guiet on the rough pavement in west texas and sicky enough on wet and snowy roads in the new mexico mountains. put 32,000 on them before trading trucks and they still looked new. probably going to put a set on my '22 2500 pretty soon as the OEM transforce tires on there are looking pretty worn after 30,000 miles.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ran the AT3W and they were great, but as mentioned the new AT4W is coming out. Luckily I won't need tires until Spring.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both are great choices.

I run AT3W and I love them as an owner. Good tread life, good performance dry and wet and in snow too.
I also love them as a technician since they are easy to balance.

Some of my friends run Geolander and they love them too.

CJW

Reaction score
I did end up going with the Geolandar and so far they've been great. Quiet and sure-footed on the highway, and decent traction on the snow. Was ice fishing this past weekend and was able to drive up a snowy boat ramp with no slipping at all. I didn't even know the AT4Ws were coming out but I'll be sure to read a bit about them for my next set.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did end up going with the Geolandar and so far they've been great. Quiet and sure-footed on the highway, and decent traction on the snow. Was ice fishing this past weekend and was able to drive up a snowy boat ramp with no slipping at all. I didn't even know the AT4Ws were coming out but I'll be sure to read a bit about them for my next set.
What size did you go with? How do they look on the truck? Glad they are working out for you. I’m almost 5k miles deep into my G015’s and I still love them. Had a few inches of snow last week and they were awesome. Even in 2nd. But in 4auto they really shined.

CJW

Reaction score
I went with the stock size (285/45R22) I'm happy with how they look. The way my truck is styled (all black sport), I didn't think I'd like a more aggressive tread on a stock suspension.

I'll see if I can grab a picture some time. I'm in Maine I can't keep this thing clean in the winter.

BigBuss54

Reaction score

I live in Mass and I had the Falkons on my last Ram. I loooooved them. Look aggressive with no humming on the pavement. Plowed through all the snow perfectly fine.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Falken AT4W is a nice looking tire. More aggressive sidewalk than the AT3W but similar tread pattern. Just tough to swallow $422 (Simple Tire) for LT285/65r20. I got my Yoko Geolander AT G015’s for ~$300 a pop( full disclosure, Black Friday pricing. But still $333 regular price at Local shop).

banditsc

Reaction score
I was recently between choosing the Falken Wildpeaks and Falken Rubritreks. I went with the Rubritreks, same aggressive look, but slightly less aggressive tread, so was better for my primarily road use and occasional off road and they are cheaper then the Wildpeaks.

Attachments

• PXL_20240113_165349409 (002).jpg
    PXL_20240113_165349409 (002).jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 29

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had 5 sets of the Geolanders now. They’re just an overall all excellent tire. Amazing road manners in terms of noise, responsiveness, and comfort and never really had me wanting more in the snow.
Felt DuraTracs were better one slush and deep powder, but the Yokos (and my current Revo3’s) are superior on snowpack.

As long as the Yokos retain their price advantage they are always easy to recommend for a semi-aggressive AT tire - up there with all the bests, but much more affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread