5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire replacement on 2021 Laramie 285 45 R22

captainzombie

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my factory tires on my 21 Laramie. I have 22's (285 45 R22) on mine and they are already at about 5's and 4's on the tread wear. I am starting to notice them really suck with regards to traction in wet weather and with the winter on the way here in Illinois I worry a bit.

I'm looking for off road looking tires that are good with all seasons and not sure with which ones to go with. My last truck I had the Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 and those were nice, but it doesn't seem like they sell them anymore.

How are the Toyo Open Country AT3?

Any recommendations?

Bertman

Reaction score
I was going back and forth between Cooper Discoverer AT3 and the Falcon Wildpeaks a few months ago. It was almost down to a coin toss, but I think I found the AT3's a little cheaper and went with them. They have excellent reviews. I was concerned about losing mpg's, but if there has been any loss, it's been very minor. I haven't had a chance to drive them in snow yet, but that may change shortly.

Attachments

• 20230516_112752.jpg
    20230516_112752.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 98

mplaramie

Reaction score
Try Falken Wildpeak AT, Continental, Cooper or Michelin. As with everything, it depends on budget, ride and look. When looking at the tires, find an AT tire with "severe snow service" rating.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I just ordered the Conti terrain contact HT’s and getting them mounted on Thursday. They have very high scores and reviews, but more highway oriented. They have an AT version which is more agressive tread pattern for off road if that’s what you need.
I was between both and seems the HT was the compromise between great highway comfort and traction vs agressive tread for light off-road unlike my Goodyears

captainzombie

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Any thoughts on the Toyo Open Country AT3's? I see that those also get good reviews.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my factory tires on my 21 Laramie. I have 22's (285 45 R22) on mine and they are already at about 5's and 4's on the tread wear. I am starting to notice them really suck with regards to traction in wet weather and with the winter on the way here in Illinois I worry a bit.

I'm looking for off road looking tires that are good with all seasons and not sure with which ones to go with. My last truck I had the Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 and those were nice, but it doesn't seem like they sell them anymore.

Any recommendations?
After doing a lot of research, I’ve settled on the Yokohama Geolander G015. They are AT and have great road manner reviews. Their rain and snow performance is outstanding. It’s not overly aggressive but it is very capable in mild off road situations. I’m going with 285/65r20 but they do also come 285/45r22 in your case. They are worth looking into.

mplaramie

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Any thoughts on the Toyo Open Country AT3's? I see that those also get good reviews.
I've got the Toyo AT3 and they are nice. Mine are load E so a little stiff. Great handling tire. Not much road noise, wear evenly and seem to handle all driving conditions well.

jeep12joe

Reaction score
I just ordered the Conti terrain contact HT’s and getting them mounted on Thursday. They have very high scores and reviews, but more highway oriented. They have an AT version which is more agressive tread pattern for off road if that’s what you need.
I was between both and seems the HT was the compromise between great highway comfort and traction vs agressive tread for light off-road unlike my Goodyears

I just ordered the Terrain Contact HT myself. I have the AT currently, and I really loved them for most of the time I had them. They were quiet, very grippy in the rain, and looked pretty good on the truck. Their only downfall in my opinion is that I barely got 40,000 miles out of them. I would get the AT again but I drive that 40k in less than a year and it just doesn't make sense to get an aggressive tread for me. Hoping to get more miles out of the HT. I think either tire is a great choice depending on how much you drive.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Very interesting. The reviews I have seen suggested they are typically maybe half way at 40k miles.
Typically I am the guy that cannot get the advertised mileage out of anything either.
Anything has to be better than the Goodyears though. I am hoping atleast because those were terrible

Morenar

Reaction score

Any recommendations?
Check out the Mickey Thompson Baja boss A/T. Have them on my truck for over a year now. Love them and great traction. They are snow rated as well and look very agressive.

captainzombie

Reaction score
Check out the Mickey Thompson Baja boss A/T. Have them on my truck for over a year now. Love them and great traction. They are snow rated as well and look very agressive.
I will add these to the list. I haven't bought any tires yet and waiting to do so beginning of next month.

captainzombie

Reaction score
I decided to go with the Mickey Thompson Baja boss A/T. I have an appt tomorrow with Discount Tire to get them installed, I will report back on my thoughts.

captainzombie

Reaction score
Did you get them mounted? How do you like them?
I did on Saturday. So far I do like them. They have that nice aggressive look to them, and pretty beefy tires which appear to be good for snow and in the rain.

I'm surprised the noise in the cabin is not that bad at all. I was afraid they were going to be very loud, but they are not as bad.

Morenar

Reaction score
I did on Saturday. So far I do like them. They have that nice aggressive look to them, and pretty beefy tires which appear to be good for snow and in the rain.

I'm surprised the noise in the cabin is not that bad at all. I was afraid they were going to be very loud, but they are not as bad.
Love the traction here in Florida. They are stable at higher speeds and feel well planted. Glad you like them. The tread on mine after 22,000 miles is still great.

Users who are viewing this thread