5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire question...

Dave peterson

Reaction score
I just put on 33" KO2's and the shop put my air pressure back to the 36psi door rating. is that what I should be running them at? I called Goodrich and the guy I spoke with didn't seem educated on the matter and after putting me on hold for a bit came back and told me to run at 29psi... can that be right? I absolutely love the KO2's by the way!!!

Klute

Reaction score
I always thought that the recommended PSI is stated on sticker on the door jam.

69Sting

Reaction score
What does the tire say for Max Pressure? Go a few PSI below if a P tire, if an E load LT tire then may need to go even lower based on how light the truck is for the tire. if 80PSI, may want to start at 55psi and adjust from there.

I have never bought into that a car manufacture can decide on what a tire pressure should be as they did not manufacture the tire. Chevy loves to say lower pressure so that the tire takes more road bumps and creates a smoother tire. Yet I see many Chevy's with tires worn incorrectly, with the edges wearing faster (shows low inflated tires).

I have gone through dozens of sets of tires on different vehicles (Sport car, SUV to diesel pick up) and found that if you start off just below the max pressure it is a good starting point and then you can adjust the PSI based on ride, traction and wear. IE 44 PSI tire, I run between 40 & 42. On an E load tires where 80 psi is max, I would run 75 front and 70rear on my 3/4 ton diesel. In over 30yrs of doing this, I only had one set of tires start to wear incorrectly and that was a set of Michelins at about 65% life used, found out others were having the same issue so it was a tire fault.
When i had my 3/4 Ton Dodge Diesel, i would adjust tire pressure for when I was towing, or a bed load or running around empty (mainly the rears)

Klute

Reaction score
I assume the TMPS is set to the OEM tire PSI. If you run at a higher/lower PSI won't the TPMS warning be on constantly (unless you can adjust the TPMS PSI)

69Sting

Reaction score
Klute,
Good question. Based on all the threads I read of owners putting on 35's or 37's, I am going to say that the TPMS sensors do not warn if over inflated only if low PSI.
All 35 and larger tires are E Load and have a max PSI of 80. No one has mentioned adjusting the sensors.
I may be a bit OCD on tire pressure but I tend to check mine via the dash at least once a week. Specially when seasons are changing in WI.

69Sting

cstcb

Reaction score
I have my 33" Cooper AT3 XLTs at 50 front, 45 rear (America's Tire initially had them all at 50 when they put them on a couple weeks ago) and they feel pretty good. I may still go down another 5 in the rear, we'll see. That's on 18" wheels. For comparison's sake, the sticker on the Rebels says 55 front, 45 rear for the 33" Duratracs that come on them.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have my 33" Cooper AT3 XLTs at 50 front, 45 rear (America's Tire initially had them all at 50 when they put them on a couple weeks ago) and they feel pretty good. I may still go down another 5 in the rear, we'll see. That's on 18" wheels. For comparison's sake, the sticker on the Rebels says 55 front, 45 rear for the 33" Duratracs that come on them.

I can get my Rebel down to 50F/40R and not have the TPMS come on.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
On my last truck, I had load range D tires and switched to load range E. The ride was noticeably rougher, so I lowered the pressure down to 55 psi or so (what the load range D tires had been running at). The ride improved, nut the truck was hard to keep on the road due to tires rolling and walking in every turn. I finally had to go back closer to 80 psi (I forget exactly what I settled on), and lived with the rougher ride. Both sets of tires were BFG and identical other than load rating.

Users who are viewing this thread