5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Pressure

R

Rob5589

I got to think it's based on the tires you have currently on the truck as it left the factory, these door stickers these days are very specific to the equipment they have and the spec/weight of the truck.

My Rebel comes with A/T tires, so the door sticker says 55F / 45R rear, which was eye opening from someone used to 35 lbs all around. I would keep to you sticker unless the dealer or you installed aftermarket tires.

But me personally, I won't lie, I have a old Lexus that recommended 32F all around, I run it at 35F.
Very true. The old "35 psi" for everything is long gone.

Toytruck

Reaction score
Im curios what in my config determines a tire pressure of 32/32. Most trucks I have seen with 5.7, crew cab and short bed are 36/36 or 38/38

Yes, I agree 32 is to low and even more so if you tow.

Also does Ford Explorer and FIrestone ring a bell? Ford was recommending 26psi and Firestone told them 30 is the appropriate tire pressure and suggested that the lower pressure was causing extream heat to build-up do to the low pressure.

Do I think that 32 is dangerous no but I would bet most people on here run >32psi

I do tow a camper and would think 32 is too low when loaded. Ironically my truck has the tow package

I got to think it's based on the tires you have currently on the truck as it left the factory, these door stickers these days are very specific to the equipment they have and the spec/weight of the truck.

My Rebel comes with A/T tires, so the door sticker says 55F / 45R rear, which was eye opening from someone used to 35 lbs all around. I would keep to you sticker unless the dealer or you installed aftermarket tires.

But me personally, I won't lie, I have a old Lexus that recommended 32F all around, I run it at 35F.

The tires on it are the Wildpeak AT from the factory. I came across a Bighorn today with the North package that comes with the same tires and the sticker says 38/38

R

Rob5589

Im curios what in my config determines a tire pressure of 32/32. Most trucks I have seen with 5.7, crew cab and short bed are 36/36 or 38/38

I do tow a camper and would think 32 is too low when loaded. Ironically my truck has the tow package

The tires on it are the Wildpeak AT from the factory. I came across a Bighorn today with the North package that comes with the same tires and the sticker says 38/38
Hard to say. You'd have to ask RAM. Generally it is based on vehicle weight, tire height, width, diameter, and load rating. Like I said earlier, don't get too caught up on what the door reads. Set them for proper wear, load handling, and comfort.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Same spec of truck (other than trim). I can only imagne the difference in PSI is based on payload capacity between your two trucks assuming similar cab/bed/drive configuration?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 20" duelers on mine. Truck says 36psi. I run mine at 39 Cold @50 degrees F. When the temp drops below 20 my tires are at 34 and when it rises to 60 degrees they are around 40-41. Seems to be the sweet spot for the crazy New England temperature swings I get living in CT. For anyone that is anal about tire pressure, it fluctuates wildly depending on air temp. Just pick something in the middle.

Running the sticker PSI would be under 30 when the temp drops and that's way too low in my opinion. I ran 36psi for the first 6000 miles or so and the edges of my tread did not like that.
I run the same configuration and found 36 psi to be the sweet spot for me as well.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Page 526 Owner's Manual:
Inflation pressures specified on the placard are always
“cold tire inflation pressure”. Cold tire inflation pressure is
defined as the tire pressure after the vehicle has not been
driven for at least three hours, or driven less than 1 mile
(1.6 km) after sitting for a minimum of three hours. The
cold tire inflation pressure must not exceed the maximum
inflation pressure molded into the tire sidewall.
Check tire pressures more often if subject to a wide range
of outdoor temperatures, as tire pressures vary with temperature
changes.
Tire pressures change by approximately 1 psi (7 kPa) per
12°F (7°C) of air temperature change. Keep this in mind
when checking tire pressure inside a garage, especially in
the Winter.
Example: If garage temperature = 68°F (20°C) and the
outside temperature = 32°F (0°C) then the cold tire inflation
pressure should be increased by 3 psi (21 kPa), which
equals 1 psi (7 kPa) for every 12°F (7°C) for this outside
temperature condition.
Tire pressure may increase from 2 to 6 psi (13 to 40 kPa)
during operation. DO NOT reduce this normal pressure
build up or your tire pressure will be too low.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Tire pressures are definitely not static. You should check once a month, takes a couple of minutes to adjust if needed. Always check the tires when the truck has been idle for at least 30 minutes. Adjust to desired PSI. You can lose a couple psi a month in many cases. Never adjust the psi when the tires are warmed up by use.

taz2016

Reaction score
2019 Bighorn Crew with 5'7" bed. I presently have the stock 18" wheels and tires. I am replacing them with OEM 20" with the Bridgestone Duelers. I would like to confirm that the factory recommended pressure for the 20's is 36 psi front and rear as stated above. Thanks !

Jack

Reaction score
I would stick with the door sticker for OEM equipped tires. Tires these days are passenger tires. If you switch to a D or E rated tires you might put 60-80 psi in them. Don’t ever do that to passenger tires! It’s very normal for passenger tires to be around 30-35 psi. You’re creating headaches for yourself. If you don’t trust me, go to discount tires. They do air pressure and patch your tires for free.

plucas

Reaction score
Hard to say. You'd have to ask RAM. Generally it is based on vehicle weight, tire height, width, diameter, and load rating. Like I said earlier, don't get too caught up on what the door reads. Set them for proper wear, load handling, and comfort.

This. If you want better gas mileage, air up the tires a little more but beware of max tire pressures. This is pretty standard. Truck loading, tire construction, etc all will affect the pressures you should run in the tires.

Users who are viewing this thread