5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Pressure when Towing

Zinger

Reaction score
I have a Rebel with an air suspension and Duratracs. I tow a 6000 lb camper. So far I've done about 1000 miles with it. My question is what should my tire pressures be at when towing? Normally I do the recommended 55/45 empty, and went to 55/50 on the last outing but I feel like I should go higher. I haven't weighed the whole setup, but I figure I'm about at payload capacity.

andyc16

Reaction score
I'm interested in this answer as well. I would guess the spec on the inside of the door but I'm not sure.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run about 2 psi below max sidewall cold when towing heavy. I don’t have the all terrain tires though. The max load rating on the tires is based on max cold psi pressure molded into the tire sidewall. Same 2psi below max sidewall on the trailer tires.

Zinger

Reaction score
I run about 2 psi below max sidewall cold when towing heavy. I don’t have the all terrain tires though. The max load rating on the tires is based on max cold psi pressure molded into the tire sidewall. Same 2psi below max sidewall on the trailer tires.

The Duratracs go up to 80 psi. 78 psi would be way too much for this load. My gut is telling me 60 psi in the rears and the normal 55 up front is probably correct, so I'm going to try that next time unless I get some good info here.

Regarding trailer tires, my last two campers actually state to inflate to the maximum, which in this case is 50 psi.

kevinssaco

Reaction score
I've been having sway issues with my new truck I didn't have before in my Silverado towing my 5000 lb camper. I've put a Hellwig Anti-Sway bar in the back and that has help considerably from the factory but still having some sway. A mechanic friend told me to try pumping the tires up to max cold inflation which I'm going to try this weekend. Maybe within 5 lbs. Max inflation is 51 lbs on my 18'" tires so I went to 45 cold. I have to admit the truck seems to roll a lot better even without the camper attached and cornering is a bit tighter.

Zinger

Reaction score
I've been having sway issues with my new truck I didn't have before in my Silverado towing my 5000 lb camper. I've put a Hellwig Anti-Sway bar in the back and that has help considerably from the factory but still having some sway. A mechanic friend told me to try pumping the tires up to max cold inflation which I'm going to try this weekend. Maybe within 5 lbs. Max inflation is 51 lbs on my 18'" tires so I went to 45 cold. I have to admit the truck seems to roll a lot better even without the camper attached and cornering is a bit tighter.

This is the root of my post. Compared to my prior rig, a Ford Expedition, I have much less "big sway," like when a semi passes, but I feel more "little sway," which makes me think tire pressure is too low.

I have another trip in two weeks, I'll report back on how increased tire pressure affects the ride.

runamuck

Reaction score
I put the Helwig bar on my laramie and my 20" wildpeak tires show a max of 51# so I run 45 in the rears when towing my 6000# travel trailer. seems to have less shimmy that way.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Firstly when my Rebel was delivered with over 70 odd of air in the tires it was horrendous for wiggle especially on the hwy. aired down to the 50 range much better. Lastly and I know gonna get hate for this and I don’t tow heavy but after putting spacers on truck which got rid of the rear axle tracking narrow compared to the front was way more stable.

kevinssaco

Reaction score
Just came back from camping and had a new discovery totally by mistake. I had filled my fresh water tank while camping with no hookups and still had about half full in it when I towed the camper home in a off and on pouring rain and wind storm and believe it or not was way more stable on the way home even at highway speeds 65ish!! I'm thinking the counter weight actually worked in my favor with my trailer sway bars. I was quite happy and it felt like it used to for towing and was still level with the truck!

Users who are viewing this thread