5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire pressure in winter

AlaskaGT

Reaction score
Currently I run the factory reccomendEd air pressure. Wondering if any of you have found it useful to air down a bit for icy winter roads and if so what you are running

jkm312

Reaction score
I do the opposite of what you are suggesting. I currently am running Cooper AT3 4S, and I have no complaints at all. I run 40lb's in them, and they did just fine last winter here in the midwest. In the brunt of the summer heat I drop them to 36lb's, as they can heat up pretty fast on the hot pavement. I've never found much benefit from airing down unless you are in the sand.
Looks like you are in Alaska. A little more information about how you are set up, may give you some better information than I have.

AlaskaGT

Reaction score
As of now it is totally factory . Putting a level kit and probably some larger tires on the stock wheels

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Same pressure, year round. First cold mornings, I usually top it up to the factory specs. 55 psi fronts, 45 psi rear.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depends on your traction.

Airing down your tires will give you more traction, and more wear. With the proper good tire there should be no need to air down.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I keep mine at the same pressure year round . As the temps get colder you’ll need to add air as they’ll lose pressure .
The information below is from the 2019 Owner's Manual. I take the ambient temperature into consideration when putting air in my tires, a warm day in winter can throw the tire's psi off by a few pounds as well as checking "hot" tires.

"Check tire pressures more often if subject to a wide range of outdoor temperatures, as tire pressures vary with temperature changes.
Tire pressures change by approximately 1 psi (7 kPa) per 12°F (7°C) of air temperature change.
Keep this in mind when checking tire pressure inside a garage, especially in the Winter. Example: If garage temperature = 68°F (20°C) and the outside temperature = 32°F (0°C) then the cold tire inflation pressure should be increased by 3 psi (21 kPa), which equals 1 psi (7 kPa) for every 12°F (7°C) for this outside temperature condition. Tire pressure may increase from 2 to 6 psi (13 to 40 kPa) during operation. DO NOT reduce this normal pressure build up or your tire pressure will be too low.

Inflation pressures specified on the placard are always “cold tire inflation pressure”. Cold tire inflation pressure is defined as the tire pressure after the vehicle has not been driven for at least three hours, or driven less than 1 mile (1.6 km) after sitting for a minimum of three hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online