5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Pressue Gauge

Riley1

Reaction score
Which do you guys think is more accurate, the TPMS on the Limiteds or a good analog guage like the Rhino?

A good gauge is way better.
I use this for ease due the valve stem being deep on my gear off road wheels.

AstroAI Digital Tire Pressure Gauge 230 PSI Heavy Duty Dual Head Stainless Steel Made for Truck and RV with Backlit LCD and Flashlight Car Accessories Amazon.com

Last edited:
They all seem to be surprisingly close, I got a cheap Chinese aftermarket TPMS from Amazon ($29) that I use on my older cars, the pressure sensors replaces the valve cap, I put them on my RAM to test and was a perfect match with the factory sensors readings.

I also have a high quality handheld unit, and was showing the exact same pressure as both the OEM and the cheap valve cap sensors.

Finally, I bought a digital portable air compressor for occasional top ups, Rigid brand, again exactly the same readings as everything else I have.

Suspect whatever circuit or use of measurements is very similar across the board.

Trust the TPMS on the truck, but VERIFY with a quality air gauge.
I’ve always like Milton air gauges, but it’s probably because I used them when I worked in garages back in early to mid 90s.

TPMS is accurate enough. Though I still use another gauge to verify every now and then.

I would probably trust the TPMS over the gauge you linked. Rhino is just rebranded Chinese made stuff
Funny, I used a analog gauge and one tire read 25psi then I used a husky digital same tire and read 35psi just like the TPMS read, threw out the analog one

Trust the TPMS on the truck, but VERIFY with a quality air gauge.
I’ve always like Milton air gauges, but it’s probably because I used them when I worked in garages back in early to mid 90s.
I hope the quality is still there as that is my choice. I have a few digital I like but there can always be battery issues or other with them. I have been enjoying the use of my 20v Dewalt inflator when airing up depending on time of year and temperatures.

I hope the quality is still there as that is my choice. I have a few digital I like but there can always be battery issues or other with them. I have been enjoying the use of my 20v Dewalt inflator when airing up depending on time of year and temperatures.
I have a digital tire pressure gauge that is over 10 years old, still in original battery, that is accurate.

Can you still buy one and is the battery replaceable?
I havent seen that one for sale for a long time. Was a Walmart purchase. Haven't taken it apart, but I'm sure it's just a button style batter.

For inflators, the connector can make a difference too. I bought a power tank inflator with a clip on connector and it was not accurate. I called power tank and they said that clip on is usually not good and to replace it with a screw on end. That ended up being correct. So always switch to the screw on ends if I can.

the TPMS on our trucks are pretty accurate.
I use the MORRFLATE 4-hose kit to air up and down and on its manifold it's got a digital gauge. (since i air up and down a lot to go on trails and I don't have to do the tires one-by-one, and I can achieve same pressure for all 4 tires with minimal work: just set it up, open the valve, and i can chill for ~5 minutes, then put away everything)
the numbers read on the gauge, after I turn off the valve to let it settle, matches the read out on dash.

Thanks for the replies. I've been getting conflicting readings. I think I'll pick up a new Milton as that's what used to use.

This is the gauge I've been using for 10+ years. I like the built in flashlight in case I'm using it at night. I use it on my Jeep and also like the air bleed valve to even out the tires.

Bottom line: You should be able to get the same reading on two different gauges.

Robot or human?

cman-gauge.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back