5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Place ruined all my rims.

nebraskaram01

Reaction score
Last week had Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 put on. The duck bar scratched all of my wheels. These Limited 20s have a SOFT clear coat on them. Rim repair guy called and said he is seeing a lot of damage already. Tire place gave me 2 options:
1. They take my rims and have them sent in for refinishing while they put a temporary rim on my truck.
2. I pick out a new set of rims.
I like the OEM 20 but curious if there is a good looking 20 out there that people like.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
There are all kinds of options out there in 20" flavor. Take a look at some of the threads posted here and/or look at some options on Wheel sites.

JLUR_

Reaction score
Last week had Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 put on. The duck bar scratched all of my wheels. These Limited 20s have a SOFT clear coat on them. Rim repair guy called and said he is seeing a lot of damage already. Tire place gave me 2 options:
1. They take my rims and have them sent in for refinishing while they put a temporary rim on my truck.
2. I pick out a new set of rims.
I like the OEM 20 but curious if there is a good looking 20 out there that people like.

I'd take advantage of a new set of wheels if you were planning to go aftermarket eventually. Nothing like having someone else pay for your mods. Get a quote from your dealership for replacement OEM wheels. Odds are the tire place will be cutting you a check and paying for your new wheels, too, unless the damage was entirely superficial and easily repaired. In that case I'd just jump on the new wheels.

geotex1

Reaction score
No, sorry. It's not the wheels. It's the monkey on the tools! Competent tire shops whose business is focused on working with high end and custom wheels will never do damage to your wheels. Duckhead has an entire catalog of non-marring tools just for aluminum and fine chrome wheels. Then, fundamentally, who would lever a tire on a modern wheel via the front face in this day and age?!?

Sorry you found yourself here, but what you need to takeaway is your tire shop is not a quality shop! Not blaming the wheel. What you want is full reimbursement for FACTORY wheels as that will be more expensive than just about anything aftermarket which they buy at gross discount. They broke them, they bought them!

Lonestar21

Reaction score
I would do aftermarket if you have that option specially if your doing the grappler G2s tires. Pick a set Of rims and it will give you a total different look.

To be honest I wouldn’t mind being in your position yeah it’s sucks but the shop is taking care of you and the situation.

RichT

Reaction score
1. Purchase the aftermarkets
2. Receive new OEM replacements
3. Sell replacement OEMs as new
4. ?????
5. Profit!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation, happy to hear they are being honorable about it. As for what to get......GOOD LUCK! There are SO MANY choices it took me a thousand website visits and a month to decide. Tirerack, Carid and Custom Offsets are all good sites to get some ideas. Hopefully that goes easier for you than me. ;)

WasatchBack

Reaction score
99% of shops that did that damage, IF they offered any compensation, would only have them refinished at a subpar level. Stand-up shop, despite the sloppy tech.

Users who are viewing this thread