5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire jack mode doesn't work

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I needed to rotate my tires, so I raised my truck to OR2 level and put the truck in "tire jack mode" in the vehicle settings to disable the air suspension. I jacked the front of the truck from the crossmember because my jack pad would not fit securely on the lower control arms. After I got all 4 corners lifted up and jack stands placed, I realized I forgot to grab the wheel lock key from the glove box. I opened the passenger door to access the glove box, and I heard the air suspension pump start running. Since the front two wheels were at full droop, I didn't notice a change. When I was done with the rotation, I lowered the truck off the jacks and the front-end dropped almost completely to the ground. I could not remove the jack from the front of the truck because it had lowered to the point where the front chin spoiler was flexed upward due to it sitting on the jack handle. I got in the truck and it still said "Air suspension temporarily disabled" and the settings screen showed Tire Jack mode still enabled. I disabled tire jack mode and set the ride height back to normal mode. The truck leveled itself out and I was able to remove the jack from under the front of the truck.

What is the point of tire jack mode if this is how it behaves? I can't imagine the chaos if this had happened while the truck was in a tire shop getting new tires installed.

ewag

Reaction score
It did this because you were in OR2. "Tire jack mode" only works on normal setting.

2019REBEL .... how do you know this? The 692 page owner's manual doesn't say that, at least as far as I can find. I would like to put the truck on OR2 and then lock the suspension system up. Always assumed TJM would keep it locked, but like the original posting, for me after about 5 minutes the dang body starts lowering. I was under it once and it scared the crap out of me.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019REBEL .... how do you know this? The 692 page owner's manual doesn't say that, at least as far as I can find. I would like to put the truck on OR2 and then lock the suspension system up. Always assumed TJM would keep it locked, but like the original posting, for me after about 5 minutes the dang body starts lowering. I was under it once and it scared the crap out of me.

Well now you have me kinda confused and a little concerned. I have been underneath the truck multiple times for oil changes, skid plate addition, etc. with it in OR2 and it has never lowered on me. I wonder if there is something you did differently?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Only really way to lock it in OR2 is to put it there and take the fuse out. Good for crawling under but I wouldn't drive around like that because the alignment isn't right.

ewag

Reaction score
Only really way to lock it in OR2 is to put it there and take the fuse out. Good for crawling under but I wouldn't drive around like that because the alignment isn't right.

I just assumed locking it out from operation would work at any height, but you know what they say about assumptions! I'm going to drive up on ramps, put it in OR2, and see if stays there WITHOUT using the lock out option. Will report back here just for the heck of it.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, when I did my oil change I moved it up to OR2 and worked under the truck without ramps. It did not move down but now ya'll got me thinking I should be careful when I'm working under there and make sure no weight is added to the truck while I'm under there.

ewag

Reaction score
FWIW, when I did my oil change I moved it up to OR2 and worked under the truck without ramps. It did not move down but now ya'll got me thinking I should be careful when I'm working under there and make sure no weight is added to the truck while I'm under there.

If it comes down on me while it's on the ground, I'm more worried about my belly getting stuck on the front air dam than my head being crushed. LOL

RAMpage

Reaction score

That's what I used to do when getting under my last RAM. Didn't need the FD showing up to rescue me because my gut was stuck under the truck in case it lowered.
Drove around like that also for a week but reverted back to normal after because it was a harsh ride (not much suspension since it's almost maxed).

Can you drive around while it's in jack mode and prevent it from changing modes?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I've experienced this also, to a degree, but only when jacking up the truck for tire rotation, etc.
While it does adjust a tiny bit when jacking, I believe it is not as drastic as it would be if TJ mode wasn't enabled. What I cannot remember is what height I had the truck when jacking it.

All other times when in OR1 or 2, and working under the truck (w/o jacking), I've had no issues of truck self-adjusting.

We need a bigger sampling. Keep the feedback coming.

Reactions: Jtr

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
Any time you are under a vehicle you should have jack stands or very large wood blocks {think 12x12} in case the car comes down. Accidents can and will happen.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Any time you are under a vehicle you should have jack stands or very large wood blocks {think 12x12} in case the car comes down. Accidents can and will happen.
Goes without saying. Always do this when removing wheels, etc.

D.Sull

Reaction score
Hate to bump a 1+ year old thread but had an interesting experience at the tire shop today:

Changed my oil in the Ram Limited today and took it to Pep Boys to rotate the tires. This is the same place that mounted my 35s on it. I put it in Tire Jack Mode since I assumed they wouldn't know how to do this on the air suspension models and left it with them. They called a couple hours later telling me it was done. I went to pick it up and noticed it was in OR2 mode.... which is odd since, thanks to my Revel Links and spacer, the truck won't even go into OR2 mode normally. I tried to take it out of OR2 mode and it said that the suspension couldn't adjust due to "payload".... There was nothing in the truck. I asked the tech about it and he said, when he took it off the lift, the whole back end of the truck was dropped way down so he drove it around the parking lot and he said it leveled back out. He, of course, has no idea how it got into OR2 mode and said he didn't touch anything.

So I'm in the parking lot getting ready to lose my sh*t thinking they messed up my air suspension when I decide to try to just drive it down the street. Well, it being in OR2 mode, the truck doesn't like this at all. It throws an error and says "service air suspension". I pulled into the Tractor Supply parking lot and keep fooling with it until it finally goes into Aero mode.

What I don't understand is why it didn't stay in Tire Jack Mode and why the air suspension adjusted while it was on the lift. Am I not supposed to put it into Tire Jack Mode before having them rotate the tires? I thought that was the point.

LHarv

Reaction score
Don't wish to bump this old thread but I am having this issue.

Went to do a front end brake job last week. Had it in normal mode and enabled tire jack mode. About 10 minutes after this I had it on a jack and the truck started to auto level. It definitely causes concern. Luckily I was using my rolling 5 ton jack but could cause disaster if I was ever road side trying to change a tire with the supplied bottle jack....

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue recently?

D.Sull

Reaction score
I've resorted to disconnecting the battery a lot of the times. Only issue with that, the truck doesn't register everything as soon as you connect it back up. No surround camera, no Sirius. It takes it a minute to re-learn all the features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online