5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Dressing frustration

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is normal, however using a petroleum or silicone based product versus a water based dressing will cause it to brown much faster, look worse
Is tire shine bad for tires?
Dangerous silicones

"Any tire shine that is based on silicones can be bad for your tires if you are not able to wash it off easily. If you do not focus on getting the dressing off your tires before going in for a new application, you will indeed be causing harm to your tires. Looking into the aspect of the silicones itself, there is one type of silicone that is soluble in water. This has none of the problems that are usually reported from a tire shine product, which would be a product based on a silicone that is not soluble in water. This latter type of silicone is suspended in a solvent in which case the type of solvent is what determines any harmful action on your tires.

If this solvent is going to evaporate, it could cause a problem to the tire as it could lead to drying. However, when there is no evaporation, you get the best out of the silicone. This is possible with the right type of silicone compound and a company that knows what it is doing will be getting it exactly right so that there is no negative impact whatsoever on the tires. When you have the right product, there can be no problem. Unless of course, you mess up the application part."

Obviously some products are better designed/formulated than others. Here's a "2020 best shines" list. Who knows if its all sponsored products or what...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Never have used tire foam on any vehicle. Tires get washed off when truck does......life is too short to worry about tires getting dirty.
jb - its a good bet that when on an enthusiasts' forum, they will think this is important... while I may agree with you, the owners here who coat, wax, seal, protect and otherwise baby their trucks think it's valuable. As for me, while I don't bother with it (I dislike that fake wet look), I still will take the time to learn a bit about it. Who knows, might go over to the "dark side" someday myself.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
jb - its a good bet that when on an enthusiasts' forum, they will think this is important... while I may agree with you, the owners here who coat, wax, seal, protect and otherwise baby their trucks think it's valuable. As for me, while I don't bother with it (I dislike that fake wet look), I still will take the time to learn a bit about it. Who knows, might go over to the "dark side" someday myself.

I hear ya and wasn't trying to offend....he asked and I gave an honest answer....I really have never used tire cleaning products...just soap and water and a good scrub......I understand people do different things.....nothing wrong with that......whatever floats your boat or cleans your tires......hopefully.....we will all find our own happiness.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like Adams Tire Shine, It leaves a nice flat to satin finish without looking greasy or flinging off.

Jako

Reaction score
The Black Pearl guide instructs to use kerosene on tires that have not been treated. The kerosene removes the material that causes the browning. I bought a set of used wheels that had Black Pearl on them. It was a "beech" to remove with alcohol and scubby pads. The tires still looked good after the cleaning.

I have not tried this and I am still debating the issue of using kerosene to prep the wheels. It seems to me you are removing the material that is there to protect the tires.
I had used Black Magic Bleche White and it seemed to bring out more "browning".

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I hear ya and wasn't trying to offend....he asked and I gave an honest answer....I really have never used tire cleaning products...just soap and water and a good scrub......I understand people do different things.....nothing wrong with that......whatever floats your boat or cleans your tires......hopefully.....we will all find our own happiness.
ha ha yep, I made the "mistake" of answering a recent new post (that the OP hadn't read the other thread on the topic enough) and he got his feelings hurt. LOL
Nice thing about getting old, you've developed a thicker skin.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Meguiers hotshine spray, kinda smells like citrus. Absorbs quickly with little to no sling after an hour. I stay away from gel based, looks great but attracts too much dirt after a while
That
Actually every product applied to the wheels, paint, ect provides a fake look, including wax. Everyone that looks at my truck usually drools over my detail work. The usual comment I usually I hear is they're actually to lazy to put that much work into it and the costs involved with having someone else do the work. One nice thing about water based dressings is when I do a pre rinse before washing, all the dirt is mostly inbeded into the dressing. Just spraying the wheel wells and tires with the pressure washer takes the majority of the cleaning out of the actual work than leaving bare.

I love the chrome, which most don't like. I get comments all the time with why I went with chrome and it looks awful. I personally find the blackouts boring and a truck all solid with the same color boring as well. Maybe all the years as a truck driver decking all my trucks with chrome inside and out is why I like chrome. It's a truck, otherwise it's putting lipstick on a pig for me. lol

I love my truck and have fun with it. I know what I like and just go with it. Everyone has different tastes, no reason to get butt hurt.

Meanwhile I love my chrome and tire dressing. LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200210-154135_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200210-154135_Gallery.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 24

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are you all using for tire dressing. I’ve been a car nut my whole life but still have yet to find the perfect alternative. I typically use Meguires Foam, but I’m tired of it turning my tires brown when it wears off. I’ve also used longer lasting gel, but it’s messy to put on and a complete dust magnet.

looking for alternatives!!
That

Actually every product applied to the wheels, paint, ect provides a fake look, including wax. Everyone that looks at my truck usually drools over my detail work. The usual comment I usually I hear is they're actually to lazy to put that much work into it and the costs involved with having someone else do the work. One nice thing about water based dressings is when I do a pre rinse before washing, all the dirt is mostly inbeded into the dressing. Just spraying the wheel wells and tires with the pressure washer takes the majority of the cleaning out of the actual work than leaving bare.

I love the chrome, which most don't like. I get comments all the time with why I went with chrome and it looks awful. I personally find the blackouts boring and a truck all solid with the same color boring as well. Maybe all the years as a truck driver decking all my trucks with chrome inside and out is why I like chrome. It's a truck, otherwise it's putting lipstick on a pig for me. lol

I love my truck and have fun with it. I know what I like and just go with it. Everyone has different tastes, no reason to get butt hurt.

Meanwhile I love my chrome and tire dressing. LOL
Amen brother! Btw, forgot to add beautiful truck.

Rathiem

Reaction score
I use aerospace 303. At the end of the wash have another wash mit handy (old ones work well) and give the tire a good wipe to clean it. Rinse per usual and let the tires dry while you’re drying the paint. Then just take an old rag and get it wet with the 303 and wipe on. This is a good maintenance routine. You’ll need to clean them well first time. Bleache White as mentioned works well or the purple bottle Meguires wheel cleaner works great too. I’m finding a bit of a groove with good spray down at the local car wash. Take it home and hand bucket wash. Then final wipe with PS Beadmaker and 303. Gives you a good decay layer all around till next wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renzo2213

Reaction score
I used to shine my tires every weekend, every time I’d wash the truck. But I too had that problem with the tires being brown and dirty. When I picked up the new ram, I told myself not to put any tire shine on it at all. The tires have 12k miles on them, and not a single spot of brown/dirt. And they look brand new every time I go through the wash or wash it myself. So from now on I’m going to stay away from tire shine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

270wsmhunter

Reaction score
I've used nothing by Westley's Bleche White since the mid 80's. Amazing what comes off the tires and in my opinion a clean tire looks nice, not a greasy looking one.
If you're looking for a good dressing, maybe Hidden Valley Ranch dressing would work on tires, seems everyone puts it on everything else!!:D

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ha ha yep, I made the "mistake" of answering a recent new post (that the OP hadn't read the other thread on the topic enough) and he got his feelings hurt. LOL
Nice thing about getting old, you've developed a thicker skin.

The other nice thing about getting old.....ya don't spend much time worrying what others think.....and sharing your opinion is just so darn fun....LOL!!!!

pabla

Reaction score
You're going to want to use a pH neutral All purpose cleaner to clean the tires, use a stiff bristle brush. Keep doing this process until the foam starts turning from brownish colour to white. Then once the tires is fully dry apply a water based dressing. Any solvent based dressings will dry out the compound and make it turn brown. I like to use Chemical Guys VRP, its water based, goes on easy and a pretty good value. Never apply dressing to a dirty tire it will sling everywhere and won't provide a nice finish.

Ickabod

Reaction score
I use Wesley's bleach white for cleaning and I use Black Magic Tire Wet in the spray can. I find the spray is the easiest to get along the bottom where the tire hits the concrete
. tireWet.jpeg

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
The other nice thing about getting old.....ya don't spend much time worrying what others think.....and sharing your opinion is just so darn fun....LOL!!!!
Actually, I feel like going the other way on sharing opinions. There's so much "butthurt" or "panties in a bunch" on forums anymore that it's almost not even worth participating. Kudo's to the overall civility of this forum and the long-term members/posters who obviously have more patience than I...

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, I feel like going the other way on sharing opinions. There's so much "butthurt" or "panties in a bunch" on forums anymore that it's almost not even worth participating. Kudo's to the overall civility of this forum and the long-term members/posters who obviously have more patience than I...

I agree....the civility on this forum is commendable...…in many ways....our society has become a "my way or the highway" mentality.....it's ok to disagree and still like one another.....life is good.

67GeeTeeX

Reaction score
I use the Purple Power cleaner and a brush. Watch all that brown run down the driveway. No dressing because I like the natural look.

Users who are viewing this thread