5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Dressing frustration

spinxt

Reaction score
What are you all using for tire dressing. I’ve been a car nut my whole life but still have yet to find the perfect alternative. I typically use Meguires Foam, but I’m tired of it turning my tires brown when it wears off. I’ve also used longer lasting gel, but it’s messy to put on and a complete dust magnet.

looking for alternatives!!

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never have used tire foam on any vehicle. Tires get washed off when truck does......life is too short to worry about tires getting dirty.

bigdaddymac

Reaction score
I was a Meguiars user but recently switched to the Chemical Guys Silk Dressing that came in a kit I bought. Easy application with a sponge and great results in my opinion.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
Here is an Old Timers Car Show Trick: DON'T LAUGH, I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS !

Wash/Scrub and Clean All tire surfaces with "Westley's Bleach White". You may need to scrub tires several times until ALL film and dirt is completely removed.

Dry all surfaces that are to be coated.

First Time Application, you will need to apply "Mop & Glo Professional Multi-Surface Floor Cleaner
" with a foam applicator, remove any heavy runs while damp, small runs are no problem. You will need to apply at least 2 or 3 coats allowing tires to dry thoroughly between coats to achieve a nice satin luster. This will last for weeks.

If Any Mop & Glo gets on your aluminum wheels you will need to remove it before it dries or it will leave a black/brown run when it dries that you will have to use your fingernail to scrape it off.

Additional Applications can be applied as needed or every sever weeks with only ONE coat to look great again and it Does Not Wash Off or Sling after a few minutes drying after application!

I have several cars that are trophy winners at car shows and this is what all the Old Timers Use. I have been doing this for Years.

If you need to remove it you will need to get a floor wax remover to get it off.

See Images Below:

Attachments

• Mop-Glo.jpg
    Mop-Glo.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Westleys.jpg
    Westleys.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

ldoh

Reaction score
What are you all using for tire dressing. I’ve been a car nut my whole life but still have yet to find the perfect alternative. I typically use Meguires Foam, but I’m tired of it turning my tires brown when it wears off. I’ve also used longer lasting gel, but it’s messy to put on and a complete dust magnet.

You may need to remain frustrated. There's an interesting link below.

In a nutshell, browning tires is the norm for today's tires. Tire manufacturers add chemicals (anti ozonant) to tires to increase their longevity. The solution is cleaning tires more frequently with soap, water and a stiff brush to exfoliate the outer rubber.

spinxt

Reaction score

In a nutshell, browning tires is the norm for today's tires. Tire manufacturers add chemicals (anti ozonant) to tires to increase their longevity. The solution is cleaning tires more frequently with soap, water and a stiff brush to exfoliate the outer rubber.

Wow I had no idea it was that complex. Thanks for the info!!

zlman

Reaction score
I've long since given up on tire dressings. I do clean them with Blech White a few times a summer, Gets the white letters looking nice and fresh, gets brake dust off the rest of the tire. Been happy enough with this system.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’ve had good success with the Pinnacle line of products. Clean with the rubber conditioner and then apply the dressing, no browning and no slinging.
05EC26F5-4126-4063-9499-7D412CA402CE.jpeg

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score

CoverAll - it’s a spray on dry to the touch in minutes and gives it a nice black wet look.

rxit

Reaction score
Optimum tire coating is by far the best I have come across. It doesn't sling like most other product do and it lasts much longer. Check out some reviews.

Damion

Reaction score
Clean the tires with spray nine and a stiff brush, the I either use Mothers back to black for tires or chemical guys VRP. The Vrp does not seem to turn the tires brown as the mothers stuff does, but you have to let it dry before you drive.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
I prefer the flat look so I use 303. Has UV protection in it also.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score

I've tried a lot of different products over the years and my favorite is Meguiars Hyper Dressing. You can only buy it by the gallon, but a gallon will last you for a while since it's a concentrate. I dilute mine 3 to 1.

I wash truck, dry and just spray hyper dressing on the tires and wheel wells with no wiping. I use a quick detailer and microfiber cloth to clean any overspray off wheels. The trick is to let it sit overnight to even out and cure. It will last a couple weeks in the rain. I haven't noticed it browning my tires, maybe because it's water based. I use it the same way in the engine bay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200210-003258_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200210-003258_Gallery.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20200210-003356_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200210-003356_Gallery.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 49

klail

Reaction score

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Meguiers hotshine spray, kinda smells like citrus. Absorbs quickly with little to no sling after an hour. I stay away from gel based, looks great but attracts too much dirt after a while

WasatchBack

Reaction score

It is normal, however using a petroleum or silicone based product versus a water based dressing will cause it to brown much faster, look worse

Livinfast85

Reaction score
Little helpful tip on the tires being brown. I bought these and they are amazing for making the tires look like new again! A little tire cleaner and the big flat brush in a drill makes quick work of brown tires! As far as dressings go, Adams, Chemical Guys, And Meguiar's have all worked well for me.
Untitled.png
Fotor_157696855272977.jpg

rah6887

Reaction score
I've always had good luck with this, can be used as cologne too.
Jk, although does smell good. $13 at Napa
20200210_120448.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread