5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Delema

Black19

Reaction score
A few weeks back I had Toyo Open Country AT3 LT285/60/20 10ply installed on new Gear off road 20x9 0 offset.
Drove a week and decided I liked the look, but the 10 ply stiff ride and poor rain performance was not ok with me.
Kept the wheels, but switched the tires to the new Falken Wildpeak AT4 in P305/55/20. Drove them 2 weeks now, ride is much better, rain performance is very good, but vibrations are driving me crazy. Took them back and then road forced balanced, drove a few days and no better. Steering wheel is good, rest of the truck vibrating. Took it back again and they noticed the rear tire was somewhat out of round…installed another and asked me to see how it feels. Felt the same, took it back. They had ordered another tire and found the other rear tire was the same way. They installed the new tire and while balancing said it was worst, reinstalled the old tire and said they had to order another.
So what does everyone think, stay the course and hope they find a forth tire that is good or switch brands again….??
And if I switch, to what? Has to be an A/T for the look, has to be good in rain ( lots of highway miles for work). Has to be P rated. And what size?

Gren71

Reaction score
P rated is fine unless you tow / haul a lot and need the E rating. Id also suggest switching brands if you keep having the same issues. There are always variables at play, but after enough of the same issues id look elsewhere. Maybe yokohama geolander g015 of firestone destination at 2.

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the P tire he listed is rated for 2756 lbs, times 2 is 5512 lbs, on an axle rated for 4100 lbs., jus sayin'. I myself have E rated, mainly because that's the only thing available in my size, and like them towing, but it certainly isn't necessary.

Black19

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the P tire he listed is rated for 2756 lbs, times 2 is 5512 lbs, on an axle rated for 4100 lbs., jus sayin'. I myself have E rated, mainly because that's the only thing available in my size, and like them towing, but it certainly isn't necessary.
That seems to be the issue…finding the size in P most larger sizes move you into E.

Gren71

Reaction score
That seems to be the issue…finding the size in P most larger sizes move you into E.
im %100 spit balling here but I assume the reason they move into E rating is due to the smaller sidewall size for the 20in wheels. Not a huge issue if you need to stick with E rated tires..ive never really noticed the whole "rougher ride" that some folks report. I have P rated on now and will likely swap them for E rated once I get my truck back from the collision center. Not sure I trust the tires after the accident I was in. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread