5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire chains

epmd

Reaction score
Did anyone try to use snow chains last winter with the Rebel with the Wrangler Duratracs?

Last edited:

Terrible_One

Reaction score
BUMP! We had a massive ice storm here a few weeks ago and anyone that didn't have studded tires or chains was completely stranded for a couple of days. My questions is what brand have you guys found that fit over the stock 22's?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have yet to get a set, but once I move up north I plan on getting some QG3229CAM chains. These should fit the stock rebel tires without issue.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
stock duratracs with 4/32 tread life left, on roughly 3+ inch of snow on the ground, placed the truck in 4wd hi & it drove just fine with very minimal slippage. i didn't install chains but i do have them. i even conducted a straight road break check at 20 mph when there were no one around & i was very surprised that i didn't slide as bad as i thought.

Screenshot_20230115_122445_Video Player.jpg

FB_IMG_1673896067422.jpg

Terrible_One

Reaction score
I have great tires that work great in snow. What happened was an ICE storm and no tire is going to save you unless it has studs or you have chains. Watch the videos of Seattle ice storm a few weeks back. It was insane.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had no issue in fresh snow up to 12-14” deep and drifts up to my headlights in our last winter storm. I’m impressed with the duratracs so far, but will be getting chains for when unexpected weather moves in.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
BUMP! We had a massive ice storm here a few weeks ago and anyone that didn't have studded tires or chains was completely stranded for a couple of days. My questions is what brand have you guys found that fit over the stock 22's?
with your 5 inch sidewall height, keep an eye on the possibility of the chains rubbing/hitting your rims. unless you don't mind some cosmetic damage on your 22s.

ICE - yeah, i hate those things! I've slid sideways into soft shoulder snow (luckily) even with snow cables. very minor damage to SUV, had to pull over to a rest area to look for my balls.

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure how well the sock style fabric chains or zip tie style chains work on ice, but with 22” wheels there wouldn’t be much option.

I believe security chain company has a chart for different size tires and sidewalls.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
I’m not sure how well the sock style fabric chains or zip tie style chains work on ice, but with 22” wheels there wouldn’t be much option.

I believe security chain company has a chart for different size tires and sidewalls.
I think I checked them and of course don't list 285/45/22. The best I can do is find a 20" size that's close in same overall diameter. I may just find an 18" wheel and stud package instead...

TSL

Reaction score
I stopped by my local tire place ( Les Schwab, a well known outfit in the Pacific NW ) to inquire about chains for my Rebel. I more wanted to have them for backup because I don't really drive in snow much at all. I do plan on a snow shoe trip up into the mountains soon and thought it might be a good idea to have a chains on hand just in case. Even though I know I might not need them.
Anyway, they looked up chains that would fit, I have the stock Duratrac tires ( 275 / 70 R 18 ) and quoted me something like $216. Then they said " have you checked your manual, can you put chains on your vehicle ? " I had to admit I hadn't so I went out and grabbed the manual.
And lo and behold, on Page 464 of my manual is a table for Snow Traction Device for various trims and for the Rebel it says "Not Chainable".
That seemed surprising to me. I'm not at all an expert on chains, but I thought it was generally related to clearance issues ( my '07 Outback XT has to use cable chains and that makes sense, there isn't a lot of clearance on that car ), but it seems to me on the truck there's loads of space. I guess not.
They said I could buy tire socks to have in the truck if I'm ever in a "chains required" situation which sometimes happens on mountain passes.

anyway, I would like inputs from the collective brain trust on this forum, what do folks think about putting chains on the Rebel albeit the manual says "not chainable" ?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I to would think the only possible issue would be clearance and the rebel should have plenty. Either way I will be getting chains for emergency use only as northern Ontario doesn’t joke around with winter.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
i read a long time ago that tire chains messes with the way ABS brakes operate.

some even suggest to turn off the ABS when snow chains are installed & pump the brakes if needed if ur vehicle losses traction when braking.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
I stopped by my local tire place ( Les Schwab, a well known outfit in the Pacific NW ) to inquire about chains for my Rebel. I more wanted to have them for backup because I don't really drive in snow much at all. I do plan on a snow shoe trip up into the mountains soon and thought it might be a good idea to have a chains on hand just in case. Even though I know I might not need them.
Anyway, they looked up chains that would fit, I have the stock Duratrac tires ( 275 / 70 R 18 ) and quoted me something like $216. Then they said " have you checked your manual, can you put chains on your vehicle ? " I had to admit I hadn't so I went out and grabbed the manual.
And lo and behold, on Page 464 of my manual is a table for Snow Traction Device for various trims and for the Rebel it says "Not Chainable".
That seemed surprising to me. I'm not at all an expert on chains, but I thought it was generally related to clearance issues ( my '07 Outback XT has to use cable chains and that makes sense, there isn't a lot of clearance on that car ), but it seems to me on the truck there's loads of space. I guess not.
They said I could buy tire socks to have in the truck if I'm ever in a "chains required" situation which sometimes happens on mountain passes.

anyway, I would like inputs from the collective brain trust on this forum, what do folks think about putting chains on the Rebel albeit the manual says "not chainable" ?
Oh dang, never even occurred to me that it wouldn't be an option. I never even thought about having chains until that recent ice storm. I mean, parked cars were sliding down hills! I could literally not leave my house for 2 days. I'm going to just get a studded tire set next year.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
Oh dang, never even occurred to me that it wouldn't be an option. I never even thought about having chains until that recent ice storm. I mean, parked cars were sliding down hills! I could literally not leave my house for 2 days. I'm going to just get a studded tire set next year.

i know a few people that lives in the north that has 2 sets of wheels. 1 set for winter (stud tires) & another set with normal tires.

snow covered roads i can handle, but dealing with icy roads scares me.

John Jensen

Reaction score

Same here. When I bought my 2016 1500 and my 2020 3500 I had to sign a paper that I would not use chains (The Manual says cable chains are ok on the rear). Like you, I don't do snow but needed for backup when traveling and hit a chains required area. For me that is traveling eastern Oregon where snow rated tires are approved in chain up areas. In Califunny snow tires do not qualify. So I bought the socks and snow rated tires.

TSL

Reaction score
I reached out to Etrailer and asked if they had anything - they posted their answer to my question here : https://www.etrailer.com/question-679963.html?fb=yes and suggested a cable chain.
The specs on these cable chains say they need 37mm between top of tire tread and wheel well and 15mm from the sidewall to any other obstruction.
I made some rough measurements and there is plenty of space to the wheel well, easily 50+mm ( it was hard to get an exact measurement with my calipers ).
The closest obstruction seems to be the brake lines, and I'm estimated around 30mm of clearance between the brake line and the tire sidewall. Definitely wouldn't want any loose chain flapping about around there though, so would certainly want to get the bungee tighteners with those cable chains too.
I think I will go ahead and order them and fit them in my garage and see what they look like. I'll post a picture when I get that done. Worst case I'll have to see can I return them or else try to sell them on Craigslist !

Attachments

• WheelPic.jpg
    WheelPic.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 40

John Jensen

Reaction score
I think I will go ahead and order them and fit them in my garage and see what they look like. I'll post a picture when I get that done. Worst case I'll have to see can I return them or else try to sell them on Craigslist !
I ordered the cables and then ordered the socks. So I put the cables on Craig's List.
Here's my ad if you are interested. Cable Chains

TSL

Reaction score
I ordered the cables and then ordered the socks. So I put the cables on Craig's List.
Here's my ad if you are interested. Cable Chains
I didn't see your post in time before I'd pulled the trigger on ordering a set from etrailer. I've had them about a week or so and finally got around to test fitting them...nope, not going to work, I don't think anyway. I've attached a few pictures others watching this thread might find helpful.
The big issue seems to be the brake tubing / wire assembly, and in particular on the passenger side. The layout is a little different on the drivers side and there is more clearance.
You can see there is about 30mm-ish ( 1 1/8th inch maybe ) clearance to the edge of the cable on the passenger side. But then look at the picture where I moved the truck a little until the part of the cable chain where the two ends clasp together comes around to the brake tube assembly. I didn't put the tape measure in there to measure it unfortunately but you can see the clearance is reduced even more. I just don't like it, it's very close. Suppose the end of the cable that's in the red clasp that holds the two pieces of cable together were to come loose ? Then that excess piece is flapping around. Or suppose there's a build up of snow around it ?
Anyway, I'm going to see if I can return the chains to e-trailer, they've been on the truck and done one tire rotation on my garage floor, so I'll see will they take them back !
If not.... there's going to be another set of chains on Craigslist !

Attachments

• ClearancePicture_DriversSide.jpg
    ClearancePicture_DriversSide.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 58
  • ClearancePicture_PassengerSide.jpg
    ClearancePicture_PassengerSide.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 58
  • FullWheel.jpg
    FullWheel.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 61
  • PassengerSide_CableConnectorClearance.jpg
    PassengerSide_CableConnectorClearance.jpg