5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips for replacing front windshield?

whalesalad

Reaction score
Hey y’all, got a gnarly gunshot looking crack in my windshield this weekend. I gently cleaned it and covered it with clear packing tape to try and prevent it from spreading. I think it’s too far gone to get repaired, but that would be my preferred route. I’m thinking it needs to be replaced though. I’d say the outer edges of the cracks in my photo are about the size of a beer can, for reference.

Any tips? I have the tech package, rear view camera mirror etc so I want it to be done by someone who knows what they are doing. Ideally MOPAR glass, too. I’ve heard mixed reviews of safelite… is the dealer a bad idea?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 8A532856-DC6B-46F9-98D1-6FF67BF9214A.jpeg
    8A532856-DC6B-46F9-98D1-6FF67BF9214A.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 23

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you use safelite, make sure they order Mopar glass. They only show aftermarket in their internal system, so the manager will have to call and order the OEM glass.

I tried using aftermarket glass, and it caused erratic behavior for the DASM. Since I was using insurance, I had Safelite perform a recal on the DASM. They got halfway through the recal and hit errors that they could not get past. I had to drive for a couple weeks with all safety systems related to the DASM disabled and the check engine light on. Once they finally got the OEM glass installed, the recal worked perfectly.

Camelot

Reaction score
Safelite replaced my Yukon XL Denali windshield, with all the tech stuff and thicker sound insolated glass. Went perfect and they did it at my house. I would use them again.

Rhombus

Reaction score
I use local guys with non-Mopar as it’s cheaper than my deductible using Safelite, and I don’t get burned by the insurance company on my rates.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You need to use OEM glass and have it calibrated at the dealership.
Heads up display, front facing camera, and other things require the proper glass and to be re-calibrated.
Almost no one will have the proper tool, and it will void your warranty (for any of those parts) if it isn't re-calibrated at the dealership.

The heads up display isn't a problem it's the front facing camera and stop assist\speed adaptive cruise control that will get you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/