5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinting LED Tails to Mimic Night Edition LED Tails

ToopaCent

Reaction score
Like the title states, has anyone ever tinted standard LED tail lights to mimic the LED tail lights from a night edition? The cost to swap them directly is pretty astronomical, but i wonder if this might be a better solution.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything, unfortunately. I ended up just ordering a set of used ones on ebay.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

sparkygreen

Reaction score

ToopaCent

Reaction score
Hmm that might be worth pursuing. Price seems steep, but the quality looks good. Not really looking for anything flashy like some of those shown.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup! Used VHT Nite-Shades currently on amazon for $9.00. Super easy and factory oem results. Had to have the dealership replace one of my tailights and as soon as I got home 20 min later tinted the new TL in 20 min.

Attachments

• IMG-6673.JPG
    IMG-6673.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 183
  • 61318037723--22E581C2-6A9D-4BDB-8648-31452D302463.JPG
    61318037723--22E581C2-6A9D-4BDB-8648-31452D302463.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG-4994.jpg
    IMG-4994.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 193

ToopaCent

Reaction score
I have the tech package so the third brake light is big and black and has no red on it. The lights stand out like a sore thumb. Im thinking of tinting the middle part any may attempt to do the edge too.

Yup! Used VHT Nite-Shades currently on amazon for $9.00. Super easy and factory oem results. Had to have the dealership replace one of my tailights and as soon as I got home 20 min later tinted the new TL in 20 min.
Looks like it could work out with the VHT. How's the VHT finish after multiple layers? Is it smooth? Does it need to be wet sanded?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the tech package so the third brake light is big and black and has no red on it. The lights stand out like a sore thumb. Im thinking of tinting the middle part any may attempt to do the edge too.

Looks like it could work out with the VHT. How's the VHT finish after multiple layers? Is it smooth? Does it need to be wet sanded?

a little over a year ago I reached out and posted the same question you did on this forum and a member recommended VHT nite shades. I went and purchased a can from my local pepboys and the drive home I couldn't decide if I was actually going to try it or not. I was skeptical thinking will this $9.00 can of spray tint even provide the professional oem finish I was after and do I have enough confidence in myself to apply it without messing up my factory tail lights resulting in having to buy new ones? I went ahead and decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did. The entire process was surprisingly easy and very rewarding.

* First I removed the the tail lights form the vehicle and cleaned them up using rubbing alcohol.
* Then I masked off the parts i didn't want to spray with standard blue painters tape
* Before I applied the 1st layer of VHT I wiped the centers one last time with alcohol making sure they had no dust or contaminants on them. ( I recommend Using alcohol to clean as other cleaners may have chemicals in them which could interfere with the bonding process of the spray while drying and not adhering correctly)
** NOTE -The directions on the can say to scuff the surface to be sprayed with a non-marring scouring pad. I DID NOT do this and skipped over that step completely.
* I "Lightly" applied 6-8 coats of VHT making sure not to spray too heavily to avoid drips.
* After each coat i applied I let them dry for about 20 min making sure they were dry to the touch before I sprayed them again. ( I did not wet sand at all between coats)

The final finish turned out smooth as can be and one year later after going through a rough winter my tail lights still look like they are OEM night-edition tail lights and the tint hasn't faded one bit.

Truck$-4life

Reaction score
I'm thinking of tinting my taillights but im not sure for visibility wise at night how much 20percent tint will affect it. I saw this picture and it looks clean. But North Dakota is 1000 m at night or cops pull u over. So what percent should I do this picture is 20percent and here's my normal one

Attachments

• 2046B777-17B3-4B4C-ABE0-8A1729A0407C.png
    2046B777-17B3-4B4C-ABE0-8A1729A0407C.png
    483.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 09A3007C-C950-4C77-8594-C7ED577C811C.jpeg
    09A3007C-C950-4C77-8594-C7ED577C811C.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 68

BLK_RAM

Reaction score
Hi guys I apologize as I know this is an old thread! for everyone who did their own tints did it have any affect on the cross traffic detection sensor? Thank you all for posting your work I just bought my first ram and bought a black sport instead of a night edition. and I was going to slowly start adding night editions emblems and down the road lights. I came across this and am curious if I am going to mess anything up if I try to do it myself. Any guidance would be appreciated.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi guys I apologize as I know this is an old thread! for everyone who did their own tints did it have any affect on the cross traffic detection sensor? Thank you all for posting your work I just bought my first ram and bought a black sport instead of a night edition. and I was going to slowly start adding night editions emblems and down the road lights. I came across this and am curious if I am going to mess anything up if I try to do it myself. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Paint or overlays will not affect the operation of the blind spot system.

Users who are viewing this thread