5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tint top of windshield (brow tint) with rain sensing wipers?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I had my front windows tinted recently, but they told me they can't put a brow tint on the windshield due to the rain sensing wipers. Is this correct? I figured they'd tint in 2 pieces, one on the left up to the camera housing and one on the right in the same way and avoid all the sensors, etc. Does the rain sensing function use some other means that tint will mess with?

Thanks

TexasDrone

Reaction score
I was told the same thing here in Texas so I guess so. I was also told not recommend doing the sunroofs in the newer one because of the curve on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I had mine done just the Brow and my wipers work fine, and I did as dark as the tint comes
Would you mind taking a pic from the inside to show what they did? I'll show it to my tint guy and hopefully he'll do it for me.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Mine is done with 5%. The tint is just cutout around the cameras/sensors in the center.

The left and right are two separate pieces.
I have the same setup. Wipers function the same as they did before the tint was installed. The OP may want to find a different tint shop. Every tint shop I have used surveys the vehicle before making any statements about what can and can't be done.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I have the same setup. Wipers function the same as they did before the tint was installed. The OP may want to find a different tint shop. Every tint shop I have used surveys the vehicle before making any statements about what can and can't be done.
They did "survey" the vehicle. He figured out it has rain sensing wipers and suggested when they've tinted them in the past it has caused them to behave erratically. I've been using this shop for tint for over a decade and would like to think they have some idea what they're doing, but anyone can make a mistake.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This should be easy to test anyway.
Shops have loads of spare cutouts they can use to test this on that one area. Just add water. If I was a tinter that's the first thing I'd do... ;)

knightro84

Reaction score
Mine is done with 5%. The tint is just cutout around the cameras/sensors in the center.

The left and right are two separate pieces.

I have the exact same in my truck and the rain sensing wipers for fine. The sensor is in the middle of the windshield behind the rear view mirror cover.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it really depends on the sensor layout. Automatic wipers work off of infrared light refraction but only look a a small portion of the windshield. As long as there isn't anything in between the LED and the detector there should be no issue. Different vehicles have different spreads between the LED emitter and receiver where the tint shop may have ran into issues with tint because of the physical layout of the sensors. Everything on the Ram is all self contained in a pretty small area that couldn't be covered from the inside because the housing is tight to the windshield. Essentially its possible with dark tent to cut down the amount of light being refracted back to the sensor making the sensor think there's water on the windshield when there isn't but not likely with the Rams layout.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
it really depends on the sensor layout. Automatic wipers work off of infrared light refraction but only look a a small portion of the windshield. As long as there isn't anything in between the LED and the detector there should be no issue. Different vehicles have different spreads between the LED emitter and receiver where the tint shop may have ran into issues with tint because of the physical layout of the sensors. Everything on the Ram is all self contained in a pretty small area that couldn't be covered from the inside because the housing is tight to the windshield. Essentially its possible with dark tent to cut down the amount of light being refracted back to the sensor making the sensor think there's water on the windshield when there isn't but not likely with the Rams layout.
I'm assuming he got burned on one with a different layout and is just playing it safe. I'll speak with him and get him to give it a shot.

Nj921

Reaction score
I didn't even think about it when I had mine done. Wipers work as expected, no issues.

Rayzram

Reaction score
Considering the tint is on the inside why would it matter? They do not remove the mirror and tint a solid piece. Mine is done and no issues as it would not have like any other will not have. Unless they are tinting the OUTSIDE of the glass how is this even in question??

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Considering the tint is on the inside why would it matter? They do not remove the mirror and tint a solid piece. Mine is done and no issues as it would not have like any other will not have. Unless they are tinting the OUTSIDE of the glass how is this even in question??
If you'd read the thread I posted they told me they'd had trouble with other cars due to rain sensing options. I suspect they were just playing it safe, which I appreciate. It'll be done next week. No worries.

Rayzram

Reaction score
If you'd read the thread I posted they told me they'd had trouble with other cars due to rain sensing options. I suspect they were just playing it safe, which I appreciate. It'll be done next week. No worries.
I would ask if they are doing outside vinyl or inside tint. They really can not ever have an issue with rain sense unless they use an outside vinyl. Nobody in my area does that, but some do so I guess it is possible they have had issues if doing the outside method.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I would ask if they are doing outside vinyl or inside tint. They really can not ever have an issue with rain sense unless they use an outside vinyl. Nobody in my area does that, but some do so I guess it is possible they have had issues if doing the outside method.
No one does exterior vinyl here. All interior tint.

Scrambler

Reaction score
Has anybody purchased an aftermarket pre cut 2 pc windshield tint product (interior applied) that you are happy with?
If so, could you post a link to the product and also share the your experience with installing it?
I'd do it myself and would be interested in a 5% tint product.

Users who are viewing this thread