5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to replace the crank pully?

jonscheer92

Reaction score
I heard a squeaking from my engine the other day and after investigating I think its coming from my crank pully , see the video I took. The belts look fine and the other pullies look good too, but the crank pully looked a little wobbly to me and the noise seemed to get louder the closer I got to it. This the first car I've really put effort into self-maintaining so I'd appreciate any feedback.

Since I think the crank pully is the issue I tried going to mopar.com to get the part. But trying to navigate mopar.com is driving me nuts. I put in my truck build and it says 0 parts available, I put in a completely different random truck and it still says 0 parts available. But when I put in my VIN I can see parts, but it won't let me select my e-torque engine, just the 3.6 or 5.7 options. I'm assuming that this is the part I need since the notes line says "e-torque."

Has anyone replaced their own crank pully before, is it that hard of a process or is it just as simple as "pully out pully in?"

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You may need a puller, probably Harbor Freight will be good enough for light frequency. My pulley also wobbles, but haven't looked any farther. Install with a longer bolt to draw it down slowly and keep checking that it's going on straight. You'll need to check a manual for details, torques, etc, but it is a straight forward press.

jonscheer92

Reaction score
Thanks, I wasn't sure if there were any other things I needed to know before i start pulling things off, like with the belts. I read in another thread that if you pull off the water pump belt you're supposed to replace it rather than put the old one back on because its a "stretchy belt," I would have never known that unless I had read that thread.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I wasn't sure if there were any other things I needed to know before i start pulling things off, like with the belts. I read in another thread that if you pull off the water pump belt you're supposed to replace it rather than put the old one back on because its a "stretchy belt," I would have never known that unless I had read that thread.
Did not know that, now I do.
water pump belt.jpg

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, you couldn't make up that tool name.... 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/